Bertram Project Boats?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bakerjw

Bertram Project Boats?

Post by bakerjw »

On another forum a guy has a friend who has a Bertram 28 that is intact but needs a new tank and a repower. The friend offered it to him free and he passed along the info. I'm waiting to see if there was anyone else interested in it. If I get a pic or 2 and a little history, I might consider getting it shipped up here and work on it as a project.

But it got me wondering which is always dangerous if anyone in the Bertram community here knew of any other project boats that are available. A while back I had looked a bit at a Bertram 30 but didn't pursue it. A 28 is a bit less than I would like, but for the right price...

Anything out there?
DanielM

Re: Bertram Project Boats?

Post by DanielM »

Whaler1777 posted on the board awhile back about his dad’s B35 with diesels. Sounded like a good running boat that needed some TLC at a good price.

If I was closer to the East Coast….and didn’t have too many boat projects already….and my wife wasn’t such a good shot with a pistol, I’d go check it out. You might search his posts and see if he still has it.

In regard to the 28 you mentioned. With a non-running 30ish twin inboard project boat, buying the hull is probably the last short money you spend. It goes up from there.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

If the 28 is free, and you expect to put gas engines in it, expect to spend a minimum of $60,000. I say that because it is older and electrical, steering etc may need to be updated. You will find once you start you will be at the old " Well I am here I might as well replace it point." If you go diesel then minimum pushes $80,000, since the conversion is more involved and the engines more expensive.

I feel that the 28 is a slightly better head sea boat than the 31, but the 31 rolls less and runs better in a beam sea. The cockpit of the 31 lays out better, while the 28 has a better cabin layout. Now saying that, would I trade my 31 for a 28, no way. Would I trade my 31 for a 35 or 38, the answer to that would be a yes if I was about 10 years younger.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bakerjw

Post by bakerjw »

Many thanks guys.
Before I pull the trigger on anything, I start investigating and asking questions. I've found that some sites are more helpful than others and this is certainly one of them.
I've got some pics and am asking some questions before I decide one way or another.
The interior doesn't look horrible.
Whichever route that I end up going, it'll be a multi year project but in the end, I will have something dependable.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Still have the 35

Thanks for the mention
Last edited by Whaler1777 on Feb 20th, '21, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
bakerjw

Post by bakerjw »

Glad you posted to the thread.
I looked in the classifieds but couldn't find anything.
Send me a PM and we can take this offline.
Thanks
John
bakerjw

Post by bakerjw »

Well, I heard back from the person with the Bertram 28. It is a 73 flybridge that came with 151 Crusaders. Transmissions, props, shafts and such are all part of it. Their plan was to put outboards on the back. Although the fuel tank didn't leak it is likely shot and needs to be replaced.

They're just wanting to get rid of it, I believe.

It is something for me to mull around. Were I to go this route, the fuel tank would be replaced and I would upgrade to diesels with all that it entails. i.e. obviously new engines, transmissions, shafts, braces and the glass reinforcement that would be required. It wouldn't be my first time doing glass work and I enjoy it to some degree.

In a quick perusal of boattrader.com, they had 3 Bertram 28's listed with 3 different types of diesels in them. Volvo Pentas, Cummins 5.9 6BT and Yanmars. An engine rebuild, even diesels, is no biggie as long as the block is sound.

FWIW. I do not make snap decisions without looking at all of the variables and sleeping on it for many nights. I would prefer to start with a blank slate and after doing it right be assured that I would not get nickle and dimed to death down the road.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Here is my opinion, if you are starting with a boat with no motors do a 31 not a 28, it's a better boat that will hold more value over time. If you are looking to get into a decent diesel boat you can do some work on to make it a lifetime boat, the entry price on a 28 is likely a better value
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
bakerjw

Post by bakerjw »

I would love to find a good hulled 31 that needs a repower for a reasonable price. I may yet. Only time will tel. :)
Carl

Post by Carl »

A sum of all its parts does not always equal a whole...

I obviously don't know you or your capabilities or your knowledge of boats.

BUT I have seen and heard the blank slate approach many times.

It always seems to start with grand notions and master plans of gutting, cleaning, prepping then putting it back together ahead of schedule and under budget as they are doing all the work themselves.

First couple weeks has lots of progress with full dumpsters and lots of friends pitching in to help. The work soon turns tedious, progress is slow, friends no longer come around. Now its time to start buying new...as it comes in they soon learn nothing quite fits and need to be returned or modified. They missed a step and items need to come back out and redone. Money starts to get tight and frustration sets in, they do not come around much anymore then one day a "For Sale" sign is hung on the boat. It sits till the next people take a look and think...wow look at all the new stuff for next to nothing....and it starts all over again.

The old saying is figure out what it will cost then double it, then triple the amount of time you'll think it will take.

If your still game...have someone check your numbers.

The big ticket items smack you in the face and the ones you worry about...but in truth, its all the small little items that put you over in spades.

Me, a running boat with just about everything and tackle projects as you deem necessary is the way I like to go. But that is me. I need the use of the boat to keep me interested. Many others here have taken on your challenge and came out with works of art. Some did in record times...some that is a short record, others have gone a tad over on the long side.

Just go in eyes wide open.
bakerjw

Post by bakerjw »

Sanity checks are always good to have.
I've been through enough projects to know to temper my time and cost expectations.
I projected my 18'CC "from the hull up" rebuild to max out at $1800 in materials. When I hit $4K, I just shook it off and kept plugging away.
And you are correct, it is the little incidentals that will get you every time.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

For me, the very first thing that one has to think about is what their “intended use of the boat” is.

A boat has many uses, for example fishing. Or just a weekend live aboard. Is it a summer only? Is it a year round? Is it just for you and some buddies or is it a family boat...these and many more are considerations that require serious thinking as well as imagination to define, and then, you need to put them on black and white in a decreasing order.
Then, you start comparing which boat best fulfills the above. The boat that answers most of the items in your list is the winner.

For me the 28 was and still is the one that best fulfills my own needs, and the 31 isn't. For others what best suits their needs is a sailboat, or a Bayliner, the choice is wide.

I’m not mentioning anything about costs because this comes after the boat choice. In other words, a cheaper boat that wouldn't suit my needs would simply not be considered.

Good luck.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Hopefully Mr. Higgins will see this and describe his blank slate and what was involved.

6BT in a 28 must be a tight fit. I bet they had to raise the engine hatch a little bit. Not sure what diesels they are putting in them today. Used to be Yanmar was the best fit. Before you jump at the 28 with the intent of diesels talk with some of the marinas that have done 28's and see what engines they are recommending.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Bakerjw, as far as the possibility of a free 28 hull is concerned. As Yannis points out, if you’ve put some thought in it and that’s the hull that fits your needs, for sure go that route.

But if you just like Bertram boats and are looking in the 30 foot range I would put my vote towards biding your time and finding a B31 if you really want to do a total work over. If you do a total work over, once you’ve dropped ~60 to 80k and tons of work into a boat, the difference between a free 28 hull and a B31 hull needing motors is going to be small money, but the resale value would be quite favorable on the B31.

I’ve had a couple Bertram projects but never a B31. If I were in your shoes and wanting a 30ish Bertram boat, I’d look hard for a B31 project. They’re out there. Or jump up to a 35 or 38 like Tony mentioned.

Carl, I had to laugh at your description of the blank slate approach. That sounded just like me when I did my CC30 Tournament Sportfish 15 years ago. Only at the end I actually finished rather than the ‘for sale’ sign. But the description of the journey rang true. The best complement I got at that time was from a fellow I respected who just happen to stop by the boat right after I had finished the paint. It was running well and shining like a new penny. He told me “Damn, you got it done. I figured you’d lose interest in this a long time before now” after many nights working alone in a broke ass boat hull, that made me proud. As it turns out I’m one of the ones that likes tinkering with them more than using them.

And tomorrow is a good day for Danny. I had a shiny new Suzuki 140 put on the bay boat and I get to pick it up in the morning. So I’ll be on the water this spring in something.

Good luck on your search bakerjw.
bakerjw

Post by bakerjw »

In another 11 to 12 years, if Covid-19 doesn't kill us all first (That is meant as a joke),I plan on retiring. We already have a reliable 18'CC which my wife and I use on a regular basis trolling for lake trout. When I get closer to that point, we are wanting a boat to wet slip that...
- Is comfortable enough to stay on for a few days at the dock
- Used to cruise the harbor, bays, etc...
- Fish near shore.
- Capable enough to take offshore.
- Room to sleep 4. It is me and my wife now but my youngest son is real keen on the whole idea.

FWIW - My mind does not stay still for long. As my wife has found, when I mention something to her, she knows that I've already been cycling through many scenarios and looked at many angles for the prior few months.

I still may jump into a 35, I'm just running scenarios. And, that's why I pop into places like this. None of the nitpicking grief that you find on many sites.

There is a thread on the hull truth where a guy has taken an 28' Bertram, extended it 4 feet and added an extended transom. The original owners of this "free" boat had plans to extend the transom and mount outboards to it. I am not keen when it comes to outboards on this style of boat, but I am mulling that around as a possibility. It would certainly simplify things.
Shame they don't make diesel outboards eh?

Just running scenarios.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Someone still makes diesel outboards. I can’t remember who but I’ve seen a youtube video on a trial somewhere...

In the 30 foot range, the 28 fbc is the only one where 4 ppl can sleep and live reasonably comfortably. It requires some real-estate mods but it is the only one...
Of course there are many many other boats out there that are yet more comfortable than the 28, with two double cabins plus salon, but they don't bear the Bertram logo.
Carl

Post by Carl »

bakerjw wrote: Shame they don't make diesel outboards eh?
they do....

https://www.coxmarine.com/the-engine/
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Haha Carl, 4000rpm in a V8? Holy cow, stay on the pulpit in case a cylinder flies out of the box!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Daniel outside of our sandbox I could count the number of "restored" boats to see water on one hand. I've seen dozens started. Some because I was in a State marina were the fee's had to be the lowest in the area, that draws certain people and boats. Others as they needed running gear which was my area. I felt bad for many of the people who jumped into these projects just not knowing...

Outside of the shop I do not have the willingness to start such a long project. The motor conversion is more then enough for me. Even with that I sometimes just said enough is enough. I was half glad winter came stopping me from completing last year. Seems each part of the project got just a little off track, ran a little longer then expected and of course a bit over budget. I'm not sure I could imagine moving on from this project and going into say the helm windows or paint without using the boat for the season.

Bakerjw- Sanity checks are tough here...non of us are what I'd call sane. Buying boats is bad enough...but buying, having, restoring or upgrading a 50 or in my case a 58 year old boat...has to be something off.
That aside I'm just trying to make sure you go into it with both eyes wide open.

On the up side, these boats have classic lines that I still think hold up well. The boats are well constructed and sea worthy. Working on these boats is nicer then many other boats in that it all comes apart without a sawzall, meaning you can put it back together when done.

Downs sides...31's can be wet and they roll as they are Deep Vee's. Also being Deep Vee they need power to go
bakerjw

Post by bakerjw »

Believe me, this place is not as tough as other forums. I'm on other boating forums where I have dozens on ignore. Everyone here gives good valid advice.
In chatting with the guy who already put a bracket and outboards on one B-28 (aerospace engineer too) he mentioned a B35 that he knew of without engines. If I am in for a penny, in for a pound, I would certainly go with a B35 over a 28 just for the added size with plenty of room for my kids. This is intended to be my forever boat.

OT a bit.
On one firearm forum where I am a moderator, I had a veiled death threat posted against me. This was the same guy where I had to contact the Ky. State Police to let them know of his plans. In Ky. you can open carry a firearm in the state capital building. He had planned on open carrying an AK pistol with a couple of bandoliers of magazines. He would do "legal" activities like that and eventually get taken into custody so he could sue. The trooper who was in charge of governor's security called me and we chatted a bit. I was not the first to contact them but since there was "history" between the 2 of us I carried a bit more weight. I told the trooper that the best thing that they could do would be to meet him at the door, offer him coffee and cookies before giving him the grand tour of the building. The owner of the site permabanned him after that.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Difference between us and other forums is that we don't knock people, just try to help you avoid the pitfalls we have encountered.

We might chide each other for fun, but we aren't nasty.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

https://www.oxe-diesel.com

Neat diesel outboards. Saw them up at Mack Boring.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I'm one of those folks who took on a complete rehab project and has taken much more time than what was expected. I've rehabbed a boat before so I knew what I was getting myself into and the previous project taught me how to do glass work. I've done reasonably well with my financial calculations of parts and materials bought but my labor estimates were just downright wrong. Most tasks have taken much longer than expected and also I've suffered from the ramifications of the statement "the enemy of good enough is better". I thought I would be done and running the boat last summer yet I'll be lucky to have her water ready by July of this year. I probably could have been further along in my project but I took the better part of a month off last summer with some family issues and I also ran into an issue with paint not curing which cost me 3 weeks of time and a stupid amount of re-work..............

I've had the winter off to recharge my spirit and I'm looking forward to early april and weather which is warm enough to do glass work so I can finish off my project.

so things to thing about - - where are you going to do the work? If outside, double the time you think it will take you, weather's a pain. I live in Mass. my experience is 4/15-10/1 is about all you can reasonably expect do for glass work without adding heat to your work
bakerjw

Post by bakerjw »

"the enemy of good enough is better" <--- I suffer from this.

On my 18' CC rebuild, there were cool nights when I was doing some glass work. I went to the local rental shop and rented a bunch of heavy moving blankets. I already had a rope running about 5' above the deck, so I used the blankets as an insulation tent and ran electric heaters under them to keep it warm enough for the epoxy to cure sufficiently.

Everyone's insights and advice are greatly appreciated.
Carl

Post by Carl »

What I like about this site is when you ask a question you'll get everyone's honest opinion and they will add every last detail they can to warn you about what you are about to take on. You'll hear about things from a much different perspective whether you want to hear it or not. I think that is a great thing....

Then when you get started the warnings go away, no I told you so's if an idea crash and burns. But the best part is as you go along you'll get some atta boys, nice job to help perk the spirit. Those days your down as something is not going to plan...lay it out here and it is amazing how someone see's the problem from a different perspective and shines the issue in a new light. Its great to learn from other peoples mistakes and it seems here...it's more important to help out the other guy then be embarrassed about offering up a mistake you made.

Enough of the nice talk for me.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Carl wrote:Enough of the nice talk for me.
Holy crap.... I can't take much more of this.

Won't someone please say something nasty? I swear, I'm gonna vomit.....

8)
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mean Mike needs to chill out.

I am not a glass expert, but someone who was told me that if you know what you are doing the glass will kick off even in cold weather, but you have to get the mix right. What that is I do not know, but this guy was a learned from Jack Henriques when he worked for them. Unfortunately he passed away so I can not ask him for you.

I think I would have built a plastic tent and tried to use Halogen lights or an infared heater ( https://www.amazon.com/Heat-Storm-HS-15 ... 14&sr=8-13)to heat then. I like the infrared because you direct the heat at the spot you want to warm up rather than trying to heat all the air around the boat. Plus I think they are a little safer than heaters. I like the plastic because it would keep the dampness out better than the blanket.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Bakerjw,

Given some of the criteria you mentioned, if you decide you’re not going the B31 route you might look at a 75-78 30’ Chris Craft Tournament Sportfisherman. It’s a Ray Hunt designed boat. It’s based on the B31 design but has a little more beam. So a little more cabin space. Can sleep 4 barely. When Ray Hunt designed it you could say it was an 'homage' to the B31. But there was so much ‘homage’ that Bertram sued Chris Craft and made them stop producing it. That’s the twin inboard boat I have. They only made about 200 of them. They don’t have near the resale or following of the B31 but still a pretty solid boat, it has a few design issues like all boats. Most notably the back bulkheads are prone to rot. The folks that own them like them. If you watch you can pick up a hull needing power or with running gas engines pretty cheap. The diesel refits get a pretty good price but again not the resale value a B31 would have after all the project work is done. Good luck with your search.

Carl,

My CC30 is one of the ‘restored’ boats you mentioned that doesn’t see the water. A couple years after I got it done the fiberglass fuel tank de-laminated. It’s a glassed in cockpit deck. So up on blocks it went and out came the sawzall. And there it sits, right in the middle of the shop with storage racks pushed up around it. A monument to ‘someday’. Right after my fuel tank de-laminated 3 buddys and I started building a fishing cabin on a barrier island along the coast of Texas. So skinny water and the bay boat has ruled the day the last few years. So someday…

Mike,

Good job whipping the mean team into line. Oh dang, that’s a compliment. I’ll try and do worse next time.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

The 33 L & H was based on a stretched 30 Chris Craft hull.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Yep. I do like that L&H 33. But I’d need much deeper pockets for that one.
bakerjw

Post by bakerjw »

Well I begrudgingly ended up passing on the B28 project. It was a shame too as it would have made a decent craft suited to my purposes. It ended up that the transportation quotes were almost as much as a capable trailer would cost. Plan B will be to keep an eye out for a capable trailer so that the next time, loading and unloading by the hauler is taken out of the equation.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

This example portrays very eloquently why same american boats are much more expensive in europe.
You have to add to each and every one of them some 15-25k in transport costs! Plus 16-24% VAT on both the boat cost and the transport cost.
You pay more to buy but you sell higher than the average american price too.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i think i will put a difficulty number after each project on a 31 Bertram but then again this would only be my opinion but at least i will look at each project open- minded . number one installing a Cummins 6bta-m3 in a 31 Bertram would be a two. a two day job with a engine jig and premade braces for engine mounts. installing that premade one piece solid glass windshield by yourself has to be a ten! building a Coosa board cockpit would be a six. not differcult but long hours and tedious labor project.taking the cleats off adjacent to the transom and placing them on the inner transom wall below the triangle Hawes Pipe on covering boards a definite 10 -----wow that`s a bitch ! ( keep in mind they should hold 5000 pounds.) An 3" lay up of Biaxle/ woven roven .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473