B25 Restoration update

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ttownthomas

B25 Restoration update

Post by Ttownthomas »

I have been busy removing antiquated systems:

Removed:

3 transducers, broken Autopilot, clunky Mechanical steering, Leaky power assist steering, bilge pump, 1984 halon system, very old engine synchronizer, Broken marine radio, Weeping and old trim pumps and broken mechanical senders, blowers and hoses, Rusty AC power inverter, corroded and nasty fuel water separators and mangled and deteriorating copper and rubber fuel lines, old VHF radio, Fresh water pump, Bundles of old wire, Rusted manifolds and risers.

Here is what the engine compartment looked like:

Here is what I have done so far:

Replaced risers and manifolds with new ones, New shields water hose downstream from risers
Cleaned (but not rebuilt yet) carburetors
Modified the tie bar and Replaced mechanical steering with sea-star hydraulic, the ram and helm are mounted, just need to run the hose
Removed old trim pumps and mechanical trim senders, replaced them with alpha pumps which are floor mounted and I relocated them to the battery well and ran hard line back to the drives.
All new battery cables.
Replaced all the fuel line with USCG approved hose, and replaced failing hose from pump to carb with copper tube
New fuel water separators, also moved to the battery well
Added volt meters in location of removed trim indicators.

Here is how it is shaping up below deck:

Last edited by Ttownthomas on Feb 25th, '20, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Meola

Re: B25 Restoration update

Post by Tony Meola »

NIce work. She looks 100% cleaner. You will feel more confident now that you cleaned that all up.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

I forgot to ask in my post. What is a good chemical to clean all the black muck from the glass so I can get that bertram green back on the inside of the hull? I assume I need to scrub brush it with something.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Ttownthomas wrote:I forgot to ask in my post. What is a good chemical to clean all the black muck from the glass so I can get that bertram green back on the inside of the hull? I assume I need to scrub brush it with something.
Try Simple Green and a power washer. Not to aggressive with the power washer.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

I use Simple Green a lot and it works, but it's hard on paint so keep away from that. It's fine with glass and gelcoat. And if you can, hot water. Most marine cleaners say they work with cold water but they work better with hot water.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Looks good! That black stuff on the hull sides never comes off without a grinder.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

That looks great. Which model is it? I've owned a 25 sport fish with the 470's. At least I think that was the number they were about 175 HP apiece. My dad owned a Sport Fish with the 165 HP. Isn't that what yours are? They were great little engines. I never understood why they quit using them.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I use Castrol Super Clean or P21S cleaner, (https://www.autogeek.net/p2totautwas.html).

The P21S is safe to use on paint, metal pretty much everything, and it does a great job of cleaning. You can clean engines with it. It cuts grease and oil. At the end of the year I use it to take the diesel soot off the transom.

In the spring before I wax the boat, I wash it down with P21S, and it pretty much strips the boat clean, and waxing I easier.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

buzzk wrote:That looks great. Which model is it? I've owned a 25 sport fish with the 470's. At least I think that was the number they were about 175 HP apiece. My dad owned a Sport Fish with the 165 HP. Isn't that what yours are? They were great little engines. I never understood why they quit using them.
Its a 1972 Mark II Convertible. Despite the name it is essentially a Moppie. Here she is before I started disassembly:

Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

CamB25 wrote:Looks good! That black stuff on the hull sides never comes off without a grinder.
I assume you know better than most. Sorry to hear it. Lol
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

Acetone, rags and elbow grease (lots of all three) will get the surface as close to the original green as possible.
Carl

Post by Carl »

You know someone spent a lot of time and effort cluttering and mucking up those engines compartments...and you go in there and destroy all their hard work. It's just not right I say.

Looks great ! It makes working on and maintaining motors such a pleasure over trying to trace wires that go nowhere and everything layered in grease and grime so that even checking fluids gets you filthy. Nice job...
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Your cleanup job looks great.

I'm not sure who makes it but a I used a product called "purple power degreaser" and it did the trick of cleaning up the insides of my hull. I'm pretty sure it took off the green dye the factory had in the resin too so it may be somewhat too aggressive.

before purple power
https://photos.app.goo.gl/icc9eZ9NaCX8kzAm8
after
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3V2vnUsUNevFLd9V8
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Ok - I've been looking at your pics back and forth a few times and was worried that the top view pic I didn't see hose clamps on all the connections of your fuel lines but in other views they are there.

Is the top down view a work in progress pic? aka no hose clamps on your port side motor on fuel filter and tank connection?

Also even in the images where I do see hose clamps in the pics I seem to be only seeing one hose clamp on each fuel line connection. I may be wrong but what I believe is the best method is to use 2 hose clamps and reverse the connection on one so they grip in alternative ways.
HotSpot

Post by HotSpot »

mike ohlstein wrote:
Try Simple Green and a power washer. Not to aggressive with the power washer.
Nice work Thomas. She should sit a little higher in the water now too.

I would go power washer too if you can live with the fallout.

Last season, I tackled the same job, but due to the risk of greasy crud flying everywhere, I went cinderella style with a hefty grout brush in the stubborn parts and corners. The Clorox 2-in1 brush picked up from the local grocery store has a couple sides and the long grippy handle provided awesome leverage while preventing knuckle busting. Well worth $5 if you are going that route.
https://cleanones.cleanerhomeliving.com ... rush2.html

Went through the remainder of several gallon bottles of Simple Green, Greased Lightning, and Zep Purple degreaser with warm water. They all seemed to work pretty well. It seemed like scrubbing a 1'x1' section, soaking for like 20 mins, scrubbing again, and then rinsing got the job done. Some parts needed to go over that process a couple times. It was a day's work, but very satisfying.

Good luck, it's looking great!
HotSpot - ‘61 25 Sport Convertible - Hull# 25-109