1978 Bertram 28 Mechanical Steering Replacement

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ts@readyracing.com

1978 Bertram 28 Mechanical Steering Replacement

Post by ts@readyracing.com »

Hello, I think the steering cable broke on my 1978 Bertram. I will know for sure on Monday when we remove and test. Hopefully it’s not rudders or something else not thinking of. All of a sudden steering stopped working and steering wheel only does small/short rotation and stops each way. Diver said rudders move but very very little.

If I need a new cable kit, any recommendations? I did a google search but not sure what fits exactly.

Thanks,
Tony
Tony Meola

Re: 1978 Bertram 28 Mechanical Steering Replacement

Post by Tony Meola »

If you need to repl ace the cables, I would go wuuth sea star. They replace the old Telrflex. Check the cable jacket for a part number and check with sea star for a cross reference.

Otherwise, pull out the old cables and measure them.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Just going to toss this out there.

Hydraulic steering is super easy to install, not too hard on the pocket and not sure how your steering is/was...but I always found a hand needed to be kept on the wheel to keep wheel from turning with a cable system...not the case with hydraulic.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I agree with Carl, an upgrade to hydraulic steering would be the best dollars you could ever spend on your boat. Not cheap, but well worth the cost; and no better time to do it than when your mechanical steering is down.
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

I broke my cable years ago--the wheel would just spin, but no movement at the rudders. If the wheel is moving a little, and the rudders are moving a little, it sounds like either something blocking the rudder arms, or more likely the gears inside the steering head failed. I replaced my cable, and it was a bear of a job--it's behind, under or attached to damn near everything. And ever since I have regretted not going to hydraulic. Don't waste the time and money replacing an obsolete system.
ts@readyracing.com

Post by ts@readyracing.com »

Turned out it was the helm. Gears all busted up. Was able to reuse cable with new helm. Now it steers like butter. Steering before was super stiff and now it’s very smoothly. Good upgrade. Appreciate all the feedback.

Tony