Width between shafts

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Captain Decent

Width between shafts

Post by Captain Decent »

What’s the standard width between the prop shafts? I’m trying to outfit a trailer and I’m trying to reference the trailer doc on this site but it doesn’t include that measurement. I’m trying to figure out if the props or shafts will fit between the trailer frame or if it will have to hang off the back.
ranjr13

Re: Width between shafts

Post by ranjr13 »

Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Captain Decent

Post by Captain Decent »

I’m inferring 48” width from that drawing does that sound right?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

That is probably close. I can measure the shaft log distance over weekend if you can wait. I am in the water so I can not measure from prop to prop, but the shaft log distance should give you what you need.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

I just measured my shafts to the center with the props off and it's 54-3/4". The outside of the shaft struts measure 58". I don't have factory engines so take the measurement with a grain of salt but those are the numbers. I hope that helps!
Ernie Sandoval
86’ 31 Bertram-BERGAG23D686
Jhaszard

Post by Jhaszard »

MYCO boat trailers in Bradenton,Florida has the 31 Bertram dimensions in their computer. Bill Tweedie is the owner. Nice guy
Captain Decent

Post by Captain Decent »

Ernie Sandoval wrote:I just measured my shafts to the center with the props off and it's 54-3/4". The outside of the shaft struts measure 58". I don't have factory engines so take the measurement with a grain of salt but those are the numbers. I hope that helps!
Wow that’s a lot wider than what I thought. I took the numbers off the diagram and got 48 on center. My bunks are exactly 58” between on the inside and I haven’t fitted the boat up yet.
Bob Patton
Standing Member

Post by Bob Patton »

My boat is a 1969 that came with 3208 cats. It is on a trailer so it is easy to measure. 56.250 center to center.
Bob Patton
Captain Decent

Post by Captain Decent »

Bob Patton wrote:My boat is a 1969 that came with 3208 cats. It is on a trailer so it is easy to measure. 56.250 center to center.
By chance do you have any pics of the trailer or have any dims? I’m trying to fit a trailer to mine. That’s would be very helpful.
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

Capt, here's a few pictures of my trailer when I was picking it up. The front bunks were not adjusted yet for the bow angle in these photos but it might give you some general ideas of how they (Rocket Trailer Miami) did it. It worked great so far! I was guessing on heights and length when I had Rocket build it. I didn't live in Miami and the trailer and boat were not together at any given time. My advice after towing 2500 miles is go taller on the bunks if you can so you don't have to worry about the props making contact. Also, take a good survey of the bottom of your boat and make sure you're not going to hit anything with the bunk placement when you're taking the boat on and off. I hope this helps!

https://imgur.com/a/fDRw9Nx
Ernie Sandoval
86’ 31 Bertram-BERGAG23D686