B25 Accessed the fuel tank today

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ttownthomas

B25 Accessed the fuel tank today

Post by Ttownthomas »

The B25 furniture was rotted, ugly and old. By that I mean the galley/captains chair combo and the dinette. I carefully removed them today in such a way that they can be used as templates. The stainless water tank left rust spots on the deck below. What is a good cleaner to get rust stains off of fiberglass?

This also gave me access to the Fuel tank whose hatch had been partially covered by the dinette. I know there are alot of rules/regulations and best practices regarding the tanks. Do these pictures give any insight?

Yannis

Re: B25 Accessed the fuel tank today

Post by Yannis »

Are you sure you want to use a SS water tank again? I found very practical the rubber bladder instead. Lightweight, manageable in its placement, huge variety of capacities and shapes to choose from, cheap, and after 6 years no sign of aging. Also when I see the space liberated by the removal of the dinette I can clearly envisage a straight bunk alongside the gunnel to be another solution that is far more practical and creates new space. You could put the water bladder underneath. I’m just not sure that 4 people could sit and eat in the old dinette anyway...unless the dinette of the 25 is more spacious than the one in the 28 or 31. How often do you sit and eat in a boat like this? Just some thoughts...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

I was planning to replace the tank. I have no attachment to any particular tank material. By bladder to you mean that it inflates and de-flates as you use it? Or do you just mean a plastic tank?

the dinette I have in mind wil convert from a dinette to a rearward facing lounge and double as a kids bed.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

This type. PLUS it does not need a bleeding/aeration tube, as there is no air inside.
It deflates and reduces in volume without the need of new air having to take up the consumed water space.

https://imgur.com/9lnEKoM

Also:

https://imgur.com/dJaBlQF
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

So...I was hoping someone would pipe in with some insights on this gas tank. It looks to be of high quality but there is no tag on it of any kind. What does that mean?
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I don't think it means anything. Looks like a good tank. Bond wire should be connected to the sender, might want to replace the fuel pipe with hose, maybe R&R the fuel fill and vent hoses while you are in there. You could pull the tank and have it cleaned and pressure tested for peace of mind.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Ttownthomas,

The tank looks good, It appears that the tank has been coated and that coating might have covered any type of sticker describing the tank.

here's a pic of a tank I had fabricated for another boat
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RcF3XCUXuiZKU6dx8

the only nit picky things and they are nit picky ...

1. there is only one hose clamp on the vent line.
2. the ground line from fuel fill to the fuel inlet has a cheap auto style but connector joining the wire, you don't want to build up a static charge potential between the fuel fill and the tank itself, make sure this wire stays in good condition. The way I've done it in the past (might not be the best way) was to make one piece of wire, strip off 3" on either end of the wire and fold the stripped portion of the wire over the edge of the hose and hook up the fill and tank fill so the wire is on the inside making a good electrical connection.
3. different materials on fill side, that itself isn't a problem, all seem to be joined / sealed well.
4. What is on the bottom? Is there strips of rubber or something else so it isn't sitting flat on the bottom? here's a pic of the bottom of a tank I put in to make sure there was air flow under, I cut up a cheap 1/2" thick plastic cutting board and 5200 the squares to the bottom of the tank https://photos.app.goo.gl/jnN8UUnbiNEMzbrM7
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

Thanks for the tips! Any idea where to get a tank pressure tested?
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I'm not sure, from my understanding the PSI on testing a tank is not very high, maybe only a couple PSI and the tank has to hold the pressure for a certain number of hours.

I would also guess that the tank would have to be emptied and cleaned, a lot of air + even a little gas can make a BIG BOOM.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

More info than you probably wanted - Coast Guard standards on fuel tanks
http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/Ass ... 002.01.pdf
Waytooslow

Post by Waytooslow »

Ttownthomas wrote:Thanks for the tips! Any idea where to get a tank pressure tested?
Radiator shop would be one place or you could try it yourself with a shop vac (backwards) and soapy water in a sprayer bottle. You won't get 3 psi but you won't damage the tank either.

Just don't use any tools that create sparks (like an cordless drill) near by or to remove the sender etc. until the tank is flushed. This can literally kill you.
1963 B-25 Project (in process)
Atl. GA