B25 Finally made it home

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ttownthomas

B25 Finally made it home

Post by Ttownthomas »

Its been 2.5 Months since I spoke to the broker and got this rolling. I drove Monday/Tuesday to Ohio to pick up the trailer, then the boat. I spent Tuesday afternoon removing loose items and dismantling anything that could get damaged in transport. Drove back today from OH to NC with wide load permits from 3 states and she is finally home.

ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_16d6 by ttownthomas, on Flickr
ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_16f7 by ttownthomas, on Flickr
ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_16ff by ttownthomas, on Flickr
ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_16fe by ttownthomas, on Flickr
HotSpot

Re: B25 Finally made it home

Post by HotSpot »

That's a heck of a boat, and a heck of a driveway too. :) Congrats! It was a long journey but well worth it. ENJOY!

Hope to see you on the board as you move into the next phase of ownership, projects and adventures.
HotSpot - ‘61 25 Sport Convertible - Hull# 25-109
Carl

Post by Carl »

Welcome home!

Looks great!

Best of luck and much enjoyment!
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

She looks to me to sit stern low. There is almost no fuel in the tanks. Is that a factor possibly?
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

That's great! How did she tow on that new trailer?
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

The trailer is very well built. It poured down rain pretty much my entire drive through Ohio and West Virginia. So I was going pretty slowly all things considered. But I’m super happy with the trailer
Orvil

Post by Orvil »

Congrats, that’s a great looking boat!
1963 Bertram 25 Express hull I.D. - 25-301
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

Here are my initial questions/comments for the group. Sorry to bombard the forum:

1. The previous owner drilled holes in the deck near the overboard deck drains. And, I assume from the bertram placard, those drains are supposed to be plugged while the boat is docked and unattended. This combined with how low the stern sits makes me wonder if there is an issue. I plan to have a hardtop installed which should add some weight. Im Wondering if this will help or if this is even an issue.

ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1706 by ttownthomas, on Flickr
ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1708 by ttownthomas, on Flickr

2. This wiring looks like a fire waiting to happen. After replacing some critical exhaust seals that keep water out of the engine I will be addressing this before putting her in the water.

ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1705 by ttownthomas, on Flickr

3. What are these? They are on the gunwales next to the windscreen. Too small to be rod-holders?

ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1701 by ttownthomas, on Flickr

4. The wood on these covering boards (assuming teak) is nice but there is some serious ugly caulking between them. Are there supposed to be gaps like this between the boards?

ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1702 by ttownthomas, on Flickr
ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_170c by ttownthomas, on Flickr

5. The paint on the hull overall is very nice but the touch ups in a few spots are the wrong color. How do I match the color closer for re-doing these touch ups? Are Paint chip cards available or do I need to haul it somewhere? Or is this a trial and error process?

ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1703 by ttownthomas, on Flickr

6. I was looking forward to peeling this "eagle claw" sticker off. but realized yesterday its not a sticker. It's painted on. lol. Acetone did very little. On another note my 7 year old thinks "eagle claw" is what we should name the boat.

ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1707 by ttownthomas, on Flickr
ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_170b by ttownthomas, on Flickr
Last edited by Ttownthomas on Jun 6th, '19, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

#3 looks like outrigger bases

#2 B25s can be known as self sinking, since it seems stern heavy, that placard is quite appropriate, leave the drain plugs in when you go away, let the bilge pumps take care of any rainwater.

#1, not sure why a hole was drilled in the deck

Your boat looks nice and clean and sits well on the trailer, I wish you many years of enjoyment
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

btw, If you wet slip it this year in salt water, make sure you change out the zincs, there is one type for fresh water and a different type for salt water.
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

Great tip. Thank you. It will live on a trailer however for now.
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

ktm_2000 wrote: #2 B25s can be known as self sinking, since it seems stern heavy, that placard is quite appropriate, leave the drain plugs in when you go away, let the bilge pumps take care of any rainwater.
There is not a threaded hull drain at the transom keel junction either.
Orvil

Post by Orvil »

My threaded hull drain is under the starboard engine, right of the center stringer and about 10 inches forwards of the transom. You remove it from the inside via a t-handle type mechanism. I’m not sure if this is standard or was added at a later date.
1963 Bertram 25 Express hull I.D. - 25-301
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Overboard deck drains.... I can't tell their size from the picture, but https://www.zoro.com/cherne-industries- ... DQodsFQLVg

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

You need to re-wire. You probably need to re-(fill in the blank).

Read this: https://www.yachtsurvey.com/bilge_pumps.htm

Ultra Safety Systems float switch is second to none. Do not trust your boat to one of those exposed float switches. USS makes two sizes, Sr and Jr. https://www.tefgel.com/contain.php?para ... itch_price

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

Yes sir. The re-wire is second on the list. And the list is long allready!
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

#5. if i remember correctly, the survey said the boat was painted. These touch ups look like white gel coat. It would be useful to learn what type of paint was used on the hull, then you might be able to touch up.

#1: I don't like that hole in the deck. It's outboard of the stringers. If the passage ways are clogged up, the boat will hold water. borascope. The 6 cylinder engines are obviously heavier than the 4cyl engines that the early boats held. This might account for some of the stern heavy trim. The placard (did not exist on my '63 boat) is referring to the two scuppers. Makes sense as the scuppers are very close to water line with 4-bangers, must be very, very close with the 6 cyl engines. Get a couple of the expanding plugs. I have to use these with my little Scout
1963 Bertram 25
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

Orvil wrote:My threaded hull drain is under the starboard engine, right of the center stringer and about 10 inches forwards of the transom. You remove it from the inside via a t-handle type mechanism. I’m not sure if this is standard or was added at a later date.
Apparently it was standard. Mine has it too! Thank you for the tip
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

CamB25 wrote:
#1: I don't like that hole in the deck. It's outboard of the stringers. If the passage ways are clogged up, the boat will hold water.
Anybody know where the passageways are?
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

In the corners of the motorwell. not the greatest of pics for what you are looking for but there is a upside down U shaped piece of glass over the opening. You can definitely clog it up with debris and keep water on the outsides of the stringers. There is a second drain outside of the stringers forward of the fuel fill locations both locations drain into the grid of the stringers and the cross members will drain into the center stringer and back to the bilge.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rSk1MQNepEYHm1Dy6
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Dig that old crap out and re caulk.

https://youtu.be/hpqZDrHT44Q
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/91 ... drSbEBaBz1

Picture of aft water passages. There are multiples sets along outboard stringers.
1963 Bertram 25
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

Its hard to get to those passages but I shot a hard stream of water in there last night and it poured into the bilge from both sides. Not sure if it was clogged or not but it is clear now. After I get the dinette and galley up (they are all rotted anyway) I will have better access to to the center of the boat.
Carl

Post by Carl »

#1. Hole someone drilled as water wasn't draining to their liking.
- aside from other issues it may let water into decking-- dry rot of core, delamination over winter

1b- low scuppers and drains can let water flow in instead of out...a problem if auto pumps don't do their thing.

#2p. Wiring- - yes indeed it looks scary. But unfortunately many of us skippers will add one direct to the battery line only for this one item. Then repeat as needed. Wish I could say I have not fallen victim to the same.

#3 yep, as mentioned those are for outriggers. Look up Perko outriggers and or tunnel mounted outriggers.

#4 teak decks and covering boards do have gaps between that are black...that said it is usually a black epoxy. Look at West system. It looks like yours are a black silicone. It also looks like your teak has been sealed with a poly-- while not traditional, it looks pretty good with less maintance.

Let me say Teak Decks and coverings are the cats meow..,.that said they are always on the maintenance list.

I had a beautiful Rockaway fighting chair in my cockpit along with a ton of teak trim. When maintained it looked incredible. When I missed a cleaning, took a shortcut, used a lesser oil, didn't let wood dry before oiling, missed a spot...the cockpit looked like crap.

Pulled it all out, poly in its place...so much more forgiving.

Looks great, just not AS great.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

I never pull my scupper plugs out....ever. There is no need. Any water on the deck ends up in the bilge and out the through hull. End of the season when I'm pressure washing the deck on the trailer out they come.

I sit about the same as yours does. The boot stripe is just under water on both sides at the far aft end of the boat. Its a stern drive thing. You were sitting on that side in the picture, I don't think you have a worry.

My $.02

-Mark
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage