46mph Bertram 31 !

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

Re: 46mph Bertram 31 !

Post by Craig Mac »

Carl---actually the 1960 wood moppie (used as a plug for the production boat) had their engines amidship just like ours. Also, the 1961 fiberglass moppie was amidship--there were some race boats with the motors in the extreme aft position running v-drives---but believe this was an evolution to keep up with faster outdrive boats.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I'm pretty sure this is the famous 60's Bertram
When I look at this photo I see motors set back a good amount from the production boats.

Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Peter S,

In the 3 outboard scheme, the middle o/b is turned to idle when maneuvering.

Peter P,

I've also seen on youtube those OXE diesel outboards. Some time back I was looking for a small diesel o/b for my dinghy...long story short, nobody was making any.
Let's hope that now that someone started the dance others will follow with even smaller engines. It's great NOT to have to carry gas onboard, not even 5 liters for the dinghy if possible.

Carl,

In the pic you show, if you visualize the cabin in between it really doesn't look the motors are pulled back any significant distance. Also in RACING, the most efficient weight distribution is with the weights all the way aft, so, for a given horsepower you achieve more speed with the motors as aft as possible. Perhaps, also, the issue of pounding is of...far lesser importance compared to a family or fishing cruise.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:

Carl,

In the pic you show, if you visualize the cabin in between it really doesn't look the motors are pulled back any significant distance.

Yannis, I'd say motors are a good 4' back...or 1.22 meters.

In a boat, I feel that is pretty substantial move.

Remember its not just weight added aft.
- it is remove the centerline weight -
- add that weight aft -

Fuel...not sure where it was placed, but its a changing factor as fuel gets used.

CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

It doesn't seem reasonable that the boat trims on the chines with removal of iron from belly. Based on photos I've seen, if you put twin bracket outboards on a 25, the stern sits very low. The same should be true for the 31. 31 gassers float high, right?

I notice that they do not show the hole shot in the video. That boat might reach for the stars out of the hole.

Weight and balance....maybe they added lead in the old engine bays to keep the boat trimmed?
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Carl,

I agree with you that weight is further back on the race boats, but the other thing I notice is that both are driven from very close to the transom, I'm assuming the ride from the production boat helm location would not be friendly.

The concept that is in my head is that Any bouncing up and down of the bow is wasted energy and a rougher ride. A deep v does better when running relatively flat on top of the waves staying parallel to the water if it were at a flat state. My thoughts are that you need enough weight forward to help counteract the lift generated by the hull so you go through rather than over a wave. If there isn't enough weight, you could achieve the same purpose with tabs.

What is sad here is that I'm arguing against outboards and I'm converting my boat to one, the irony. In reality, I think it can be done and done right but there needs to be a lot of engineering put into getting good results. What I'd love is some type of software that one could draw a hull shape and then simulate placing loads in various different positions and seeing how the hull performs.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

There is a guy in Miami that just did one with out boards I couldn’t get the video to load. It is Strictly Yamaha the boat is southern comfort. He is currently doing another one. Not my cup of tea but they looked pretty good .
Jason
cariedl

Post by cariedl »

Here is link to Strictly Yamaha's instagram page. There are decent amount of pictures and a few videos sprinkled in that show the restoration and boat running.

The build for his first 31 was super quick, I think he's trying to sell it and the other one he's working on redoing now.

https://www.instagram.com/strictlyyamaha/?hl=en
Carl

Post by Carl »

ktm_2000 wrote:Carl,

I agree with you that weight is further back on the race boats, but the other thing I notice is that both are driven from very close to the transom, I'm assuming the ride from the production boat helm location would not be friendly.

My point was more along the lines of someone engineered and drew out a plan...it gets built, maybe some tweaks along the way to make for an easier build or just because...then boat gets tested/used.

Then things get moved based on real life results, wants and needs...or just because.

Kinda like when I build things. Customer has an idea / I have an idea, I may sketch it out...I may go further.
I build and things change, we fit and try, things get changed...when happy we make drawings.
Sometimes we send drawings or part an engineer to verify, tweak as needed and then make final drawings.

Things evolve...outboards on a 31 is a new evolution of the 31. They get built and things change, people build off what was done based on the results of what was done.
The engineers involved were not contemplating outboards back then as they didn't have the gusto of todays motors.
So I would worry too much about their design parameters.

For me...only a small percentage of my dislike of outboards on a 31 has anything to do with performance of the boat. I think much of the performance issues that are talked about could be worked around with some moved weight, tabs or not being out in bad snot.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

In the case of the triple outboard express style boat, they actually extended the hull by 3 feet it's not just an armstrong bracket. That adds running surface and buoyancy, that boat should run much different.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

gentlemen you have know idea!!! tell me about skinny water again,,please don`t pilot a 200hp on a 24' boat and lift engine in shallow waters this does not apply with a pair of 350hp on a 31' Bertram. the boat will draw more water than a gasser going up on plane and REMEMBER were the water intakes are on that 350 Yamaha. this is what i drive every two or three weeks starting now. we have 300hp Verado`s the third set of engines in 10 years.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

I might be wrong... I thought the idea of running an outboard boat through skinny water was at low speeds you could go slow with motors raised a bit.
When I say low speeds...I'm thinking trolling speed.

Its what I did when I had my I/O. Used to go for lunch or dinner at Cottage Inn at Keyport, tie up at bulkhead. Low tide was only a foot and a half of water or so...we'd kinda pole off till I could get drive down far enough to allow prop into water a couple inches...start it up and putt-putt out the low channel into the main, then drop drive and bump it up a notch. When I got the last boat, a 23 inboard, that stopped, even though it only drew 14". Big difference having a skeg touch bottom then your wheel..even at slow speed. And the 31...well wasn't even a thought anymore going in there.

Running in skinny...well maybe for some...but I don't want to be a few inches off the bottom and running unless I can help it.
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

My thinking was the same as Carl's. It's not that I'm running hard in shallow water. Because of less dredging in my area we're getting more shoals that I have to cross, that's the reason I see the need for outboards for me.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

YES. As someone who has owned a flats boat and fished many. As well as someone who has spent sometime hanging out on a sandbar. It's about floating with the engines up or slowly moving along at idle speed in shallow water. Even the skinniest shallow water boats don't attempt to get up on plane in shallow water, although there are a few tricks. In many places it is illegal to do so and leave tracks.

In terms of how that translates to a 31 with outboards, you anchor at the sand bar and raise the motors, when the tide goes out the boat could sit on the hull rather then the running gear. If you are floating you can pull the boat into deep enough water to put the motors down and idle off. You can't do that without 3' of water with inboards. In some cases you may cross a bar while on plane (snake hill channel), that bumps up to 2 or 3 feet, if it gets to shallow with outboards you pull the motors up and float off. With inboards it's game over.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

carl my situation was a million to one so i will explain.number one i am a captain in my own familar waters. number two the marina owner had 69 acres in one location and 36 acres in another location so following the money and beating any other boatyard around he dedicated both locations to center consoles with 250/300/350 hp outboards. they come in on a big trailor ,so he was able to store them because of the vast amount of space in the yard during boating season. next he hired an outboard genius for $120,000 a year with a state of the art building with test equipment and Yamaha allow this mechanic to actually go into the computer to eliminate required"shadows". so i keep my boat there for "FREE" but am required to test or take the lady dressed to the hilt in high heels with her rich husband for a test ride in a $400,000 CC them while the salemen does his routine and teach them to drive the damn thing with the knowledge he never owned a rowboat as well as as 8 zillion repairs both powerhead and lower unit to make sure they are ok.most of the time a the most inconvient time while working on my boat!!!!
the Great South Bay is zig zag with sand hills ,shoaling and everything you could imagine. i will not comment on any matters of big outboards on 32' plus CC. please don`t tell me WOT that is just plane stupid,yes the CC cigarette will do 73mph at WOT AND 70 gallons a hour so that is downright ridiculous statement i used to hear every time i take a customer out.you have to rate a outboard boat at 3500 rpm anything above that rpm she is burning fuel at a rate very few could afford and shorten the life below the "normal" 1200 hour life we put on them for powerhead or lower unit. everybody is going to agree " buy the extended warantee up to six year then dump the outboards and repower thats why second hand 300/350/ and now 425hp are a dumb move. powerhead is $20,000 and lower unit $ 5000.00 tell me about your babied 350hp you bought out of factory warantee. Carl when the big CC on NOT on plane they only go 6mph with 1200 hp sitting on the transom so i speak about going aground in shoaling area at 30mph plus you are not going to take the boat anyware at 6mph. remember with 850 hp (twin 425hp on a 33' everglades)the son of a bitch can not even get on plane nor any other big CC ON one motor so after you lose one due to your computor being 3' above salt water you will take her back at 5-6 mph from the ocean!!!! no more comments -----no spell check used
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob-

I avoid going into the shallows and I feel I don't miss much.

BUT
the Next harbor south of me is Lemon Creek. If you don't have outboards or an I/O your not getting in or out when tides low. The few people that have inboards are just stuck waiting for tide.

Not being able to go in or out makes traveling at 3-4mph with raised motors pretty attractive.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

you would have rigged this 31 outboard Bertram the right way; starboard engine right rotation,3 blade cupped no rake,center engine to FOLLOW DEADRISE with extended mid section,right rotation 6 degrees of rake and four blade, port engine,left rotation, standard mid section and three blade propeller. you would be running the piss out of those 300hp on a 13,000 ,11,6" beam ,24 degree dead rise boat.maybe 1000 hours if your lucky. and wear a helmet while driving from that position (remember the SEE-SAW LAW) that boat will take to the sky on gentle rolling ocean and come down like you fell off a mountain . expect your passenger to bang there head on ceiling all at 30mph.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
captbone

Post by captbone »

I always trim OB above the bottom of the boat when going slow in the flats. Nothing protruding below the hull and the keel is the only thing that could touch the bottom. That is a huge feature.

Another great part is that she is on plane and loading at 23mph at 3500 rpm. No stress on the OBs. Evinrude now are available with a 10 year warranty also which is so nice.

No diesel smell is also a huge benefit for families.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have no idea with diesel smell is nor would any passengers no matter where they were sitting and i posted a long step by step procedure on installation to prevent this.drive slow what does that mean ????? on or off plane with triple engine 350 hp 32' plus CC anything under does not count i had 24' hydro sport and 28' cigarette that has no traits of big CC and remember 10 grand !!!!!! for toggles to at least have a prayer chance of handling at slow speed (off plane) and around docks or docking .yes port engine and starboard engine can turn opposite each other at 70 degrees but 10 grand is quite a extra.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
captbone

Post by captbone »

It is all fun and games until your family is sick from the diesel fumes and you wrap a lobster trap warp in your prop 90 miles offshore at night. And then you smash your head on the bottom as you try to cut it free only to hit a floating container destroying a $7k transmission, $2k shaft, $1k prop and damaging the strut. Then after you get your boat back after 4 months missing the whole season, you got algae growing in the fuel tanks costing $1875 to have the fuel polished.

Outboards being 238% more durable during log strikes. With fuel prices being lower preventing a diesel shortage in which opec could seize your boat.

All of that could be prevented with Outboards which everyone knows are better all around for use on the Great South Bay.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

logs,decaying bulkhead in new york lower bay one powerhead and four lower units.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
captbone

Post by captbone »

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

PeterPalmieri wrote: In terms of how that translates to a 31 with outboards, you anchor at the sand bar and raise the motors, when the tide goes out the boat could sit on the hull rather then the running gear. If you are floating you can pull the boat into deep enough water to put the motors down and idle off. You can't do that without 3' of water with inboards. In some cases you may cross a bar while on plane (snake hill channel), that bumps up to 2 or 3 feet, if it gets to shallow with outboards you pull the motors up and float off. With inboards it's game over.
Peter

Unfortunately I am the only one left alive to testify to it, but we pushed a 31 about 100 feet through 2 feet of water one time. Long story I will tell some time. But in desperation, it is doable. You need 5 guys along with a lot of boat traffic to do it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony sounds like a good time, glad I wasn’t there.

Without everyone getting butt hurt. I spent 10 years zooming around the great South Bay in a boat that floated in water that you’d barely get your ankles wet if you jumped out. I’ve ran 30 mph and caught fish in places most folks have never seen. I took Bob and his son to a couple of those places and it’s great fun. I was even able to navigate and fish the breech created from Sandy. I’ve roamed Moriches bay without a chart and ran east to Shinnecock which is all very dangerous for any boat that draws some water. The reality is you can’t do any of this with helium filled outboards on a 31 Bertram.

There are some advantages to converting a 31 to outboards and a long list of disadvantages. In my opinion there are plenty of boats better equipped for use in shallow bays and creeks. Now if you are intent on using a 31 for this type of situation have at it, whip out the check book and have a good time doing it. It’s just a boat.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Well said Pete.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

pete my son and i remember that day.we went into the back bays for bass.I almost forgot i have went to the canyon 8 times and two overnight on the closest boat you are going to find to a outboard 31'. both the Parker 28' pilothouse and 32' pilothouse will pretty much simulate the 31 BERTRAM with outboards.28 with twin 250 Yamaha and 32' with twin 350hp Yamaha. both have large cockpit like a 31 without engine boxes.you would drive in the same position in the boat as a sedan,Bahia mar,or cabin steering position of FBC.or sportsman.go for a test ride in ocean from White Water Marine on Long Island and a dealer in Conn.as well as NJ, WOT is 51 mph actual maximum cruise on calm gentle rolling ocean about 27mph. the good news is a totally enclosed cabin and giant fish boxes.WE put a giant "bean bag' on the transom because of the see-saw effect. you hardly feel a 3' wave at the transom however in the front of the boat the bow comes crushing down from 7' in the air and sitting in drivers seat was a bucking bronco in a rodeo. split the driver`s seat in half and vhf. radio actually broke from mounts all this at 30 mph. the cockpit is fantastic plenty of room all around for tuna or shark. you just don`t realize sitting so far forward does to your personal comfort and safety.Tommy sold the boat and bought a inboard Blackfin after developing vertigo and spine problems. i agree with the 31` Bertram of Kipp (targeted species) move steering position back 2 thirds of the way like a big CC and it will help your ride 100%.you would have to design a 31' outboard like the driving position on a express model to give you a decent platform in the ocean.will no cabin off course.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Parkers are nice boats, but to my knowledge not known for their great ride in open seas.
If I was just going to fish the raritan bay with a couple nice weather trips for shark and footballs, it might be my go to.

Bob...people love outboards. They love'm on lil boats and med size boats...and now on larger boats.

I've learned to pick my battles...in the case of outboards, I don't have a horse in the race...go outboard and enjoy.

I may have missed something, but I think on sea trial this one when pushed was burning 200gph...

[url=https://beta.photobucket.com/u/simachin ... 738830ca40]Image[
/url]
captbone

Post by captbone »

Quad F350 Yamahas will burn 140 gph at WOT. Right around 40gph at cruise. That is total for all four engines.

It is not bad when you consider these are 40ft-50ft boats. At WOT they are really moving (50mph+).
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Enough of this about speed! Amberjack moves at fast cruise all day long when we're traveling but I gotta tell you some of my best time on the boat has been when we throttle down to idle out in the middle of nowhere for lunch or for a second cup of coffee in the morning. There's a lot going on out there that we normally zoom right over. The birds, the waves slapping against the hull, the smell of the salt air. That's really why we're out there.

Anyhow, this dreamy philosophizing does not make for progress. I have 8 hours of primer sanding ahead today to get the salon bulkheads ready for their new Interlux off white paint. It's gonna be beautiful--no more faded dull original factory wood grain plastic laminate with 40-50 old fastner holes! Thank you Bob Lico for posting the images of your interior upgrade a couple years ago, they informed my decision to redo mine.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Amberjack you are welcome on the interior info.the head door was done out of desperation. one of my beautiful little grandchildren open the head door and interlock it with the handle on the cabin door. the poor thing was screaming when i got back to the boat. when i dock the boat i put the thinking cap on to reinvent the wheel and came up with the best innovation on the interior ----the sliding pocket teak door to the head. you might say i was under pressure from mother/daughter team.i have photo`s of every aspect of the interior if any of the brothers are on that project.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

I don't know... Im just not impressed with the numbers....
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Waytooslow

Post by Waytooslow »

I am with Capt. Bone. I have owned one or more boats continuously for 50+ years. One resolution to myself about 20 years ago was to never own a boat that I could not get on a trailer no matter how oversize etc.--I think a 31" O/B would just make this resolution.

My 25' which came with I/O's conflicts with my second resolution which is to never ever, ever, ever, ever own another I/O. So there is really only one option for me on the 25" which is O/B's.

I probably wouldn't take a running 31 and convert it to OB power but if it was a non-running project I would certainly consider O/B'ing it.
1963 B-25 Project (in process)
Atl. GA
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Waytooslow, I’m right there with you on I/Os. Years ago when I got rid of my last I/O I made my wife promise to shot me if I ever pulled another one up in the driveway.

That being said, there are a couple Bertram models where I would suck it up and deal with an I/O to have the right boat. (And risk being shot! But, she’s on the verge of that anytime I look at another boat anyway)
Carl

Post by Carl »

I think I/O's are great...
Don't buy them new and don't hold onto them long.
Like OB's use'm and dump em quick before the problems start to creep in.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

maybe we can all agree on one thing, I/O = Inoperable or Intolerable
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Ran my IO for 20 years. Zero problems. Regular maintenance should be done. Remove every year and lube, change oil, check impeller.
Went through 2 props and a couple of routine hose changes.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I've removed a potentially offensive line.

I/Os and saltwater don't mix in my opinion.
Carl

Post by Carl »

ktm_2000 wrote:I've removed a potentially offensive line.

I disagree...I think they mix very well.

As Joseph mentioned he did ALL the proper maintenance and stayed ahead of issues keeping drive alive and well for 20 years.

That is not always the case and many do as little as possible till the alum drives become a block of aluminum oxide.
Then when a problem comes up nobody wants to work on it, so it's the lowest cost mechanic trying to rip it apart to fix what needs fixing...
Corroded surfaces leak, bolts get broken and left...or guy tries to use easy out going off center...
Nothing some silicone or Marine-Tex can't fix...for awhile.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I mean no offense to anyone, What is funny here is I did the maintenance he described and then some.

In my 15+ years with the drives, I had the same set, replaced a trim ram and the hoses getting way too rusty to trust them but never had an issue with the drives themselves. On the other hand inside the motor-well was another story, trim pumps failed repeatedly, starters failed repeatedly, alternators failed repeatedly, ignition components failed repeatedly, ethanol / water in the fuel got me with a couple of carb rebuilds as well. I would call the water pump replacements standard maintenance. The nail in the coffin for me was gimbal bearings / couplers going bad.

Towards the end, I was on 20 year old motors and was getting about 5 trips between repairs if I was lucky. Is it that I/Os are bad, not really but setups at what I consider the end of their lifespan are no fun to deal with.

I seem to remember a saying from Uncle Vic, I'll probably get it wrong but here goes, "Oil Slinging fork truck motors"
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

ktm_2000 wrote:I've removed a potentially offensive line.

Careful....

We frown on the removal of offensive lines.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I've never owned an I/O boat.

What are the issues?
Is it due to them sitting in salt water and not fully out of the water at rest?
Would a boat lift, fresh water flushing, and lubrication solve all this?

A boat like the 20' Sportsman sure is attractive.

How much water does it need (draft)?
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

The real issue with an I/O is that you have the problems of both an inboard and an outboard. An engine in the boat that would have the same issues as any inboard engine and then the out drive with the issues of an outboard.

The biggest issue is if you get a leak in the case of the lower unit and water gets into them and ruins everything if you do not catch it.

The old OMC outdrives were a pain in the neck with the bellows they used.

But if properly maintained they all work well or they would not still be out there.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

Draft will vary depending on boat style and outdrive make. They should draw about the same as an outboard in theory.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Except for the above, there are also problems related to the fact that the rubber assembly that seals the boat (not the engine per se) is susceptible to leaks. In other words, the engine may be well sealed off, but the “hole” that the drive goes through may not.

Also, my mechanic was explaining to me, why the diesel I/O’s are more prone to all sorts of problems related to the higher torque and the inherent inability of the drive’s gears to operate in such high torque conditions. Which, inturn, limits their life span.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

I’d have to agree with what Joseph said about regular maintenance being the key to fewer I/O problems.

The folks that I’ve known who ran them successfully were on top of their maintenance. In some of our shallow canals the I/Os are needed as an alternative to outboards.

I had mine years ago when I was young and both boats were purchased used. One I had for a few years and was pretty happy with the boat overall, and the other….well it was a mess from when I bought it. Probably just a bad apple but it made me swear off of I/Os. However, like most things in life you get out of it what you put into it. For sure scrimping on routine maintenance is a bad idea on I/Os. My experience was limited but it wasn’t great.
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Earlier post
"On the other hand inside the motor-well was another story, trim pumps failed repeatedly, starters failed repeatedly, alternators failed repeatedly, ignition components failed repeatedly, ethanol / water in the fuel got me with a couple of carb rebuilds as well. I would call the water pump replacements standard maintenance. The nail in the coffin for me was gimbal bearings / couplers going bad.
Towards the end, I was on 20 year old motors and was getting about 5 trips between repairs if I was lucky. Is it that I/Os are bad, not really but setups at what I consider the end of their lifespan are no fun to deal with."

My experience with the saltwater environment, is that anything mechanical in a house, condo, car, or boat (o/b, i/o, & i/b).
It all, requires constant maintenance, even if it's not being used. If maintenance isn't done then repairs and replacement of parts/components quickly snowballs.
I believe o/b's are easier to maintain because everything is hanging out there....literally!
A lot, dare I say most i/o & i/b boats are not designed with great accessibility for routine maintenance of powertrain or running gear.
And i/o's require more mechanical ability to thoroughly service the intermediate housing.
I'm just not a big fan of outboards because they are hanging out there on the back of the boat, usually in the way of what I'm trying to do.
But I will concede to their practicality in certain regions and situations.
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035
Carl

Post by Carl »

To me...the pitfall of the sterndrive is the Hunk of Aluminum Sitting IN The Water.

special processes by the manufacturer are supposed to keep the drive all protected and the Anodes are supposed to protect and the special paint on the drive is supposed to protect...lots of supposed to's.

Not always done...

So while you may be on top of your maintenance...if the guy before you was not.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

So with that said, it doesn't sound like anyone on this thread owns an old B20 with I/O.

If you had a lift, would you consider it?
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

SteveM wrote:So with that said, it doesn't sound like anyone on this thread owns an old B20 with I/O.

If you had a lift, would you consider it?
Steve

Lets put it this way, no matter what you read here if a Bertram 20 with an I/O showed up and you just had to have a Bertram 20, I doubt anyone would just walk away from the deal. I know I would be all over it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Steve, I imagine you’ve seen his posts, but if you didn’t, Tommy posted his brother Eddy’s B20 Sportsman on the Swap & Sell part of the board awhile back. That is a model that would make me want to deal with an I/O again. It would certainly help to keep it on a lift. I’m no fan of I/Os but for the right boat….