1977 Bertram 28 Purchase

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ts@readyracing.com

1977 Bertram 28 Purchase

Post by ts@readyracing.com »

Hello Everyone. I am new to the board. Owned several boats over the years and love fishing. I live in San Diego, CA. I am looking at purchasing a 1977 Bertram 28 w/ Mercruisers 220 HP. They are original motors. I have an accepted offer on the boat. The boat is rough and a bit of a project which is ok. However, I wanted to learn about what is critical to look for on these boats. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Tony
Tony Meola

Re: 1977 Bertram 28 Purchase

Post by Tony Meola »

Tony

Welcome

We have a number of 28 owners on the board will jump in and answer you questions. I would tell you to check all the bulkheads for any rot and the condition of all the windows to see if they leak.

Of course you should get a survey to make sure the mechanical parts are all up to speed, and the bottom for blisters.

I am sure there are quirks to the 28 you will need to look for and the 28 owners would best give you that advice.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Donmystic1

Post by Donmystic1 »

Check the bathroom wall near the step.
Near the bottom.
Also, check the other side where the three drawers are that panel rots at the bottom also under the step.
Stringers - motor, rudder towers, holding tank platform are other trouble spots
Those 220 hp motors are under horsepower for that boat. Later models came through with 260 hp. Also the rudders if original need to be upgraded to the larger 31 Bertram size
People are repowering now with 330 hp.
You will have to raise the deck above the motors to get modern engines in .
I would find a later model that has all those problem areas taken care of.
You will be ahead of the game money wise and be able to sell the boat when you are done playing with it.
Last edited by Donmystic1 on Mar 30th, '19, 16:14, edited 2 times in total.
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

Every 28 I have ever seen--mine included--had rot issues in the engine beds. The aft cabin bulkhead is prone to rot or delamination where it meets the engine hatches. The original engines were 228 hp mercruisers based on the 305 Chevy block. If there is ethanol in the gas where you are the original fiberglass tank must be replaced, along with all the other fuel system components--hoses, filters, fuel pumps--the ethanol destroys all of it.
ts@readyracing.com

Post by ts@readyracing.com »

Very helpful! I will have boat hauled out to inspect bottom, props, shafts, mechanical survey, and boat survey. But before all that good to know what to look for myself. Thanks for all the feedback. I will keep you posted.

Tony
bertram 20

Post by bertram 20 »

need to check inner engine beds against rear bulked they rot there i have a 86 and they didnt look bad till i started poking around with a screw driver also looked at a 85 28 today for someone and those also had rotted inner engine beds and fuel tank big issue if you use ethanol fuel there
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

My first boat was an 81 28 with 228hp Mercs. The stringers had been replaced by the previous owner, so I'd be shocked if they weren't a problem on the 77 you're looking at.

I don't fish so my boat was lightly loaded, but I could cruise mine around 21-22 knots at 3200rpms. I could be wrong (I sold the boat in 2001) but I think I burned around 16-18gph at cruise. WOT was around 4100rpms and 30 knots It was a great boat that was just too small for my intended use (cruising).

Good luck with the purchase.
Regards,

Doug L.