Wood

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Wood

Post by pschauss »

As I start to go through my boat I have run into a few bits of rotten wood (so far nothing structural) that I need to replace. One example is short a 1x2" strip which supports the deck panels and step between the two engines forward of the strainers. Is stuff like this normally common pine or something else? The piece on the other side does not feel hard enough to be white oak.

Thanks,
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Carl

Re: Wood

Post by Carl »

I had oak uprights with mahogany upper supports. The oak on some of them was so rotted it seemed like balsa wood.

Yes, it is common...or was as many replaced. You can replace with wood or what alot/some of us did...Fiberglass U-channel and angle. Bolt and glass into place.

Back rudder shelf wood rots out.

Bulkheads are pretty common to rot as well. Good thing though...in our boats they are not really structural. Cut'em out and install new.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

I used fiberglass angle 3/8 inch thick to rebuild the section in the companion way. it is pretty solid. Does not even flex with a big person standing there. This section holds water so if you go with wood, make sure you coat it well with glass to keep it from rotting again.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Capt pat had a post on this he used 1in and 2in fiberglass box tube creating a 1in lip for the deck. That was my plan I bought it from mcmastercarr.http://www.bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?t=4504
Jason
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I recently replaced the strip of wood under the door supporting the floor between the engines and the salon.
Did it with Azek. If you need piece I could ship it to you. I had to purchase a piece of trim that was 40' long or something like that.
It's a PVC type plastic I believe. Won't rot.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
MikeD@Lightningshack

Post by MikeD@Lightningshack »

Mahogany decking ripped to size on a table saw always worked great for my boat. I would use short pieces of fiberglass angles cut and drilled for 1/4" bolts to hold it all together.
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

I got some 1/4” thick fiberglass angle from McMasterCarr. This stuff is HEAVY and dense. What’s the best way to cut it? Can I drill holes into n it with regular drills?
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

I have cut it in a chop saw and Also use a cut off wheel on a 4in grinder both work well. I used that to build a door frame in my new bulked. Check it with a straight edge it dose have some deflection to it.
Jason
MikeD@Lightningshack

Post by MikeD@Lightningshack »

FYI... I used a chop saw and a new blade. GO slow, wear gloves.. if it bites it will pull the stock right out of your hand.

My fingers itch just thinking about all the fiberglass I cut in chop saws.

[url=http://www.lightningshack.com/photo_gal ... _floor.htm[/img][/url]
Carl

Post by Carl »

You can cut fiberglass with regular tooling.

The material is abrasive and wears the edges fairly quick...so if drilling keep rpms down,
when using chop saw, cut and don't let blade just sit in the cut wearing out.

Hand held hack saw works pretty good too.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I wonder if a metal cutting carbide blade in the chopsaw would last longer?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rawleigh wrote:I wonder if a metal cutting carbide blade in the chopsaw would last longer?
Yes it wood (pun intended)

But unless you have one I'm not sure the expense of a good carbide blade is worth it for a few cuts.

I mentioned as the first bunch of holes and cuts go easy..then tools dull, starts heating up more, so start pushing harder, tool dulls more, heats up more, dulls more, push harder and job becomes more of a job.
Point is, if you can't sharpen...have a backup or two on hand. Really its only a handful of cuts and a few holes for a deck, I'm making more out of it then needed.