31 Flybridge Cruiser Interior Headliner Picture?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ernie Sandoval

31 Flybridge Cruiser Interior Headliner Picture?

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

Hello to everyone! I was hoping someone might have a photo of the interior of a FBC with the headliner removed. I have a 1986 with a little water leak coming in from more of the port side than the middle and leaking out the aft port side wall valance. It pools just a little bit in the corner also. It visually appears that spot should be covered by the flybridge and hardtop above it? Yet it leaks. Pulling my headliner down with all the lights and stereo speakers doesn't look very fun so I was hoping someone would have a picture to give me some ideas on sealing from the top before I tear into it. Thank you in advance for all your help!! This forum has been great on helping resolve issues and its appreciated!!
Ernie Sandoval
86’ 31 Bertram-BERGAG23D686
Amberjack

Re: 31 Flybridge Cruiser Interior Headliner Picture?

Post by Amberjack »

Eric--Check your window frames. I had a similar leak which I finally traced to old, deteriorated sealant around my aluminum window frame.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

Ok, thanks! I will look at them again. They looked pretty sealed up but it's worth another look for sure. I've been trying to track down all these little leaks and issues on this boat. I just bought it and the folks before me have spent a ton of money on it but I don't think any one owner has tied down all the loose ends. Where would the fun be in not having problems!?
Ernie Sandoval
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ernie

Sounds like you have added items, lights, speakers etc. A lot of us still have the straight headliner without lighting in it. So not sure hoee yours is installed. Originally they where held up with screws.

If you still have the aluminum window frames you probably need to re-caulk them. Best bet is to get someone to hold a hose on it while you watch from the inside. That is usually how I find the leaks.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Erine,
There are a hundred ways for water to get into the cabin overhead, like Tony said check the tops of the window frame areas first, then look around for added hardware on the exterior of the fly bridge and also under the fly bridge where wiring goes down to the cabin below.
The original headliners were held in place with wood screws, remove all the screws in the teak trim then you will find more screws under the trim area, be very careful in removing the teak trim pieces they become very brittle after many years of heat. There are fiberglass battens molded into the under side of the fly bridge which the screws are set into. You will see opening holes for the front window rods and holes drilled thru the FRP battens for wiring to pass thru. If you see discoloring of the FRP that usually means water intrusion over the years. The top part of the front windows are a prime candidate for water leaks along with corners of the curved front windows. The seam under the lip on the front of the fly bride is also a place that develops leaks over time. The dolphinite bedding compound dries out.Like Tony said the garden hose trick works well. Sorry I don't have any photos of the headliner in the down position.
Good luck , Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

Ok, thanks everyone for the explanations! I'm sure it's something stupid but stupid stuff has done some real damage when it involves water. There were a few screw holes that someone drilled below the forward main windows and then left open with no screws in them. They installed a little metal track to install drape tracks. The drape tracks were on pieces of wood so you couldn't see under them. What was happening was water was leaking in through a corner of the forward windshield and collecting on that fiberglass pan. The problem was when it leaked (Miami rain) through the window it would immediately run through the holes and started filling the headliner below. You couldn't tell where it was coming from and it filled that headliner with 5 gallons of water. The previous owners obviously knew this but when I bought the boat it hadn't rained in months. It was dry. The week after I bought the boat it rained for a month straight. LOL. It's amazing that a $2 per hole fix (DYI) cost me $2500! That's why I was concerned about the latest "little" leak. By the way, how do we post pictures? I read the old post but is there an easier way? Thanks!!! Someday I'll figure out this forum stuff!
Ernie Sandoval
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

ImageImage

Got it figured out. Amazing what happens when you read instructions!
Ernie Sandoval
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

Here are a few pictures of the space above the headliner in case someone wants to know what’s going on up there. The water was coming from another open screw hole. I think I caught it in time. For a thirty-two year old boat everything was in pretty good shape fiberglass wise. I’m going to run a few more stringers across the top for the headliner but that’s about it. The lines dangling on mine are for the hardtop mounts. I have the hardtop off right now.

Ernie Sandoval
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Beautiful interior!
I dont know about roof leaks, but at some point all of us have dealt with leaks, mostly window ones.
There are multiple ways to fix the problem, I chose the “I dont care about leaks” approach, its very easy to apply!
(The 28 doesnt have many roof leaks as all cables pass over and around directly into the side pillars).

Btw, what are those handles with eyes at their corners, on top of your fwd cabin hatch?
Thanks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

Thanks Yannis! I think it's starting to look pretty good. I wish I could just let this thing leak! I feel like I have to fix all this stuff now that it's mine. I can't stand when stuff doesn't work right. There's plenty of that on this boat! That metal you are seeing is a mounting bracket for a hard shell life raft. The previous owner must have had it installed. I took it off (No raft) and had the holes glassed and painted. I thought it looked kind of ugly. Probably be the prettiest thing in the world if you ever needed it!
Ernie Sandoval
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you Ernie,

There are soft shell liferafts for 3-4 people that you can squeeze under the seat or on the deck sides.
They should not be all that expensive, last time I was looking they were selling for around € 600 or close.
And yes, especially for you guys out in the ocean, they will look very pretty in time of need!
Good luck with your upgrades.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Hey Ernie: On mine I built a shelf that goes from side to side in the open space under the front of the flybridge and put in a rectangular plastic hatch so I can use it for storage. I built it out of plywood with fir stringers, all coated in epoxy. Also a friend of mine who is a little thinner than me can fit up in there and lay on the shelf if I need to do any electrical installs up on the bridge. I can stand on the forward bench seat with my head and shoulders up in it. I added alight inside it. I don't have any good pictures of it unfortunately. I primarily use mine for lifejacket storage.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

That is a very good idea!!! I was thinking that was a huge waste of open space in a boat that could use a little more storage. I was also trying to come up with some type of rod holder idea. Maybe a wood piece that you could set in-between the V-berth in the cutout that would hold the rods at an angle so you could still open and close the main cabin door. My days of dragging around 7 lines all day are over. I’m thinking 3 rods and no outriggers to mess with. 3 rods might fit in the cutout?
Ernie Sandoval
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

The best rod storage I found was just hanging them from the overhead above the dinette. I like spinning rods and they are too long to go most other places in the boat.
Last edited by Rawleigh on Dec 6th, '18, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

I’ll have to go measure. It looked a little short to hang rods there at first glance. That would be best if they’d fit.
Ernie Sandoval