Yanmar 6lp Tubo

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

THESALTYSATO

Yanmar 6lp Tubo

Post by THESALTYSATO »

It appears I am going to have to replace one of the turbos on a Yanmar 6lp 315hp ( only has 680 hours). The boat sat for about 2 years before I bought it and I assume that is part of the problem. The mechanic I am using ( who I trust) suggested replacing as there Is quite a bit of scaling on the inside . This is new to me and I can only rely on his expertise and experience. Has anyone gone through this situation. Is it better to replace with brand new Yanmar part or go with an after market or rebuild the existing unit? Any suggestions as to where to purchase new or reman or where to send for rebuild?
thanks
Charlie J

Re: Yanmar 6lp Tubo

Post by Charlie J »

I would say rebuild
new there around 3k per
1968 hull # 316 - 757
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

We had to replace both turbos on Priceless one year apart due to corrosion of the housing. The turbos themselves were fine. Yes, almost 3G a piece.
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Is there a maintenance regimen that can help prolong the life?
Max
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

We had the same problem on both turbos. Looked like a casting defect. It was a shame that we could not get new housings because there was nothing wrong with either of the turbo assemblies.
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Thanks for the responses. I have decided to purchase a new turbo. Everyone was on target as the price is just under 3 thousand. I am going to send the old on off to a rebuild shop to get their opinion and the cost to rebuild - if it can be. If it is reasonable I will have a spare on the shelf. Again thanks for your help. Happy Memorial Day. Let's all take time to remember its true meaning and not just hamburgers and hot dogs.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I had a problem on my 4 bangers where the turbo's would scale up on the outgoing side. As a result, we disassemble the exhaust from the turbo every fall, hose it down with lube spray and stuff an oily rag in the turbo to prevent rusting and other corrosion. Then we re-assemble in the spring. Yep, it costs money. Yep, the mechanic gets paid.

But I don't have to buy new turbo's which was about the end result every couple years...

Dug
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I think the best remedy is to keep them exercised if possible. Mine froze up after sitting a long time. Dug's idea is a good one, I'll have to remember that if it's sitting a while.
And when you do take it out, be sure to run em up high for a bit and spin those turbos as frequently as possible.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Dug

Post by Dug »

Steve, I agree. Best solution is to run them. My issue is 100% lower use than desired.

Dug