New Purchase - Double Bogie B31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mizerita

New Purchase - Double Bogie B31

Post by Mizerita »

Hey guys, my name is Steve (Mizerita) and I just bought the boat at at least one of you called the “Howdy” 31 Bertram named Double Bogie (pictures/links below). I know, I know…he paid what? It took a few months of negotiating, but in the end, once I repower she'll be the closest fit and finish to the new B-35, which is what I ultimately wanted (but didn’t want to pay 7 figures). For those who have seen this boat in person, you know the level of detail that went into this boat.

The 31 Bertram has been on my bucket list since I was a kid. I’m coming from a 34 Freeman (center console fishing cat), which I loved but now have a family and tournament fishing less, diving / cruising more…so this “day boat” layout is perfect for what my family will use it for. Before the trip to her new home in Key West, I'm replacing the bridge bench seat, adding outriggers, rod holders, and a few other goodies.

Once she's in Key West, I'll be designing a tower and starting early stages of repowering. She currently has Mecruiser 383s with about 200 hours. I’ll be posting a few questions on my current set up, repowering, and other upgrades you guys may recommend. I’ve been lurking for years and looking forward to jumping in with you guys!

http://s86.photobucket.com/user/Mizerit ... g.html?o=4

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: New Purchase - Double Bogie B31

Post by mike ohlstein »

Beautiful.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Wow! That is a pretty boat! Congratulations and good luck with her!

Welcome aboard!
Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Welcome aboard, she sure is a beauty.....Is the fit and finish as well done as the pictures suggest?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

PeterPalmieri wrote:Is the fit and finish as well done as the pictures suggest?
Yes, I saw the boat at the Boston show; she's nice.

Welcome aboard, Mizerita! I heard through the grapevine you planned to convert to diesel which will make that boat all the sweeter. Did you look at any other 31's during your search? If so, I would love to hear about what you saw.
Max
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Beautiful boat, Steve; and welcome aboard. For the record, the "Howdy Boat" reference to your 31 is in no way a cut. It merely reflects that the boat is designed/laid out less for fishing and more for cruising and day-tripping. My 31 "Island Girl" was a Howdy Boat and we loved her!
David Davidson

Post by David Davidson »

Steve, you have yourself a truly beautiful boat.
Almost too good to change it.
Petrols with 200 hrs only? Keep them in there. Spend the money on fuel and change them when they start being trouble (many years yet).
David Davidson
1971 B31 FBC Hull no 315-1106
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

very pretty 31, nice
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Let's face it guys, the older we get the more "Howdy" we become. The circle of life.........

Welcome aboard.
Mizerita

Post by Mizerita »

Thanks guys, I'm super excited. To answer your question, yes, the boat is immaculate. I sea trialed the new 35 and was very close to pulling the trigger, but for 1/4 of the price thought I could "get close" with Double Bogie. I looked at and sea trialed a number of 31s including the two in the Palm Beach area (Lara & Tabasco). Nothing against the other B31s I looked at, but it was night and day. The guys at Yachting Solutions do an amazing job...I'm not kidding when I say she looks like a brand new boat.

Yes, eventually I'll be switching to diesels...if it wasn't for range, I'd keep the Mecruisers. They are quiet and will do what I need them to around the keys....except for longer range trips. Getting to the dry tortugas or doing Bahamas trips would be tough without a bladder. She's currently gets .75 mpg at 4100 and about 23 knots. I'm done going fast, but would love 25 knots at 1.5. I'll be posting another "repower" question soon...I know how everyone loves that discussion!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Nothing wrong with a Howdy boat, especially when she looks like that!
As you mentioned, lose the benchseat add a few rod holders and Oh my!

Best of luck to you and your family with her!

Welcome aboard,
Carl
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Steve,
Congrats on the new purchase.

Beautiful boat.

If you are ever near South Palm Beach area give me a shout, would love to see the boat in person.

Post more pics.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve
Great looking boat. Nice Find.

The diesels make a huge difference. You have several options depending on what you are looking to do.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Steve,
Welcome to the sandbox she is a pretty boat, being a golfer I like the name, just don't get too many of them. The 383's are good solid engines, I had 440 Chryslers in my 31 express before repowering with Mercruiser 7.4L throttle bodied FWC fuel injection big blocks. Run them until they die and then repower. Enjoy the new boat and look at the bench seat that Bill Machovina had on his 31 called Sea Chelle, he's in Islamorada during the winter he's got a 38 Bertram now.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Very nice, welcome.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Wow is that boat lovely!
Many happy days to you both and enjoy making her your own.
Kind regards,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Mizerita

Post by Mizerita »

I've got a few videos during sea trail that I'll try to post. Trying to figure out how to post videos...photobucket doesn't allow.
cariedl

Post by cariedl »

Great looking boat, congrats. What are you considering for diesel repower? Lots of opinions here and fantastic advice. Enjoy!

I would suggest uploading the videos to a service like Vimeo or if you have a google drive, you can link there. Photo bucket has really gone to shit. I use imgur to post photos and made a guide to posting under the Posting Photos topic pinned at the top of the board.

Congrats again.
Mizerita

Post by Mizerita »

Here are a few more pictures and a link to a quick video. The sea trial wasn't much of a trial as it was dead calm (but cold)...in the video this is 4100 rpm at around 22-23 knots. I will have to say the Mercs are quiet. As you can see in the second picture, the guy who built the boat loved bench seats...the one "aft" (partially shown) is useful for cruising with a group of people, but not much else. Boat obviously has way too many pillows as well.

https://vimeo.com/265435007

Image[url=https://imgur.com/WfRwTDz][url=https://imgur.com/WfRwTDz]
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Really beautiful, very much in the Merritt, Rybovich style. Perfect dayboat set up. Are the window frames a custom fiberglass mold? Also love the private forward head
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If my wife saw this boat in person, she would have fell in love with it.

I took her to the boat show to see the 35 and she wanted me to buy one of those... I told her I could clean up our current boat

If those gassers run good, I'd leave them in there as long as possible.

I'd like to see it in person someday.
Steve Marinak
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Very nice, Steve; and those 383s have a nice, throaty rumble to them.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Tommy, I was thinking that too. The only thing I miss about my old big block gassers is the cool sound. Mine were quite old and not real reliable.
Steve Marinak
John F.

Post by John F. »

Beautiful. There's nothing wrong with gassers if they have the range you need. Good luck and Congratulations.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

Sweet ride. Lower helm would have been appreciated in that weather. Love the teak extensions on the engine boxes for stretching out. How about some pictures of them deployed. Will they handle my brother “Fat Tony”?
Chris Havener

Post by Chris Havener »

Hmm, wonder what's wrong with me, I like that wood bench seat.
Chris
Mizerita

Post by Mizerita »

Peter, yes the windows and everything else other than the flybridge were built / molded by Yachting Solutions. I'll see if I can find some pictures. And the extensions to the engine box seats are held by two arms that swivel out..I think it's probably fine for the average person, but not sure how big "fat Tony" is haha. My wife likes the reclining engine box set up...all she cares about is a place to get sun while we're trolling.

I'll post a different thread about my thought on engine possibilities and current set up later today. Thanks guys!
Dug

Post by Dug »

Hey Steve,

You have a beauty! I spent a fair amount of time on board at the show, and the detail is what is shown. Its a very nice boat. You should love her! Congratulations!

Next time I’m in Key West (who knows!) I hope to say hi!

Best,

Dug
Mizerita

Post by Mizerita »

Dug wrote:Hey Steve,

You have a beauty! I spent a fair amount of time on board at the show, and the detail is what is shown. Its a very nice boat. You should love her! Congratulations!

Next time I’m in Key West (who knows!) I hope to say hi!

Best,

Dug
Dug, yes, please drop me a line if you (or anyone) is in Key West. Would love to show the boat off and do a little fishing.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

What a beautiful boat. That boat and the Dry Tortugas… can’t ask for much more that that!

I like to get down to Marathon and the lower keys every year or so. Next time we’re down, if you’re in Key West I’d love to stop in, take a look and say hi.

Also you’ve probably already found your moving service, but if not, Captain Patrick used to recommend C&J Transport. Here is the link from the Bertram31 links page.

http://candjtransport.com/

Daniel
Mizerita

Post by Mizerita »

DanielM wrote:What a beautiful boat. That boat and the Dry Tortugas… can’t ask for much more that that!

I like to get down to Marathon and the lower keys every year or so. Next time we’re down, if you’re in Key West I’d love to stop in, take a look and say hi.

Also you’ve probably already found your moving service, but if not, Captain Patrick used to recommend C&J Transport. Here is the link from the Bertram31 links page.

http://candjtransport.com/

Daniel
Thanks Daniel, and yes please let me know when you're down here in the Keys. Would love to chat and show off the boat. I did find a place to transport the boat, but just in case something happens I'll keep the number handy. Thanks again.
Kimba

Post by Kimba »

Was hoping to get some details on the “recliners” on Double Bogies” engine boxes? Hardware? Such a terrific addition!
Appreciate any info.
Best Mark