New Kid on the Block

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

EarleyBird

New Kid on the Block

Post by EarleyBird »

Just wanted to introduce myself to all you present and past Bertram afacionados. My name is Jim Earley, have owned a 1973 FB 31 for 32 years. Boat name is EarleyBird, kept in Brielle,N.J. Neil is my nephew and know most of the other local guys on this site. Have Cummins 270HP motors in the boat presently....4000hrs, these are the 4th set of motors. All Furuno Electronics. Be more than happy to help and or answer any questions one might have. Presently retired, 30 years in Steamship Enginerooms,20 as Chief Engineer, Unlimited Horsepower. 10 years in a Steam-driven Electrical Generating Station. Try to fish a lot.
Charlie J

Re: New Kid on the Block

Post by Charlie J »

welcome
you will fit right in
1968 hull # 316 - 757
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Welcome
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Welcome also. I to am new to the group. I purchased my Bert 31(first inboard) a year and a half ago and have found the group to be very responsive and helpful. With your experience I am sure you will add a lot of insight to the forum. MY only regret is that I will never own my Bert 32 Years. The hour glass is already filling up on me.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Welcome.

I am sure you will feel right at home.

My boat has been with us 42 years. My father bought her new in 1975. I am running the same engines as you are. We repowered in 2009.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
neil

Post by neil »

The only thing that Easley bird cant fix is a broken heart,welcome
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

4,000 hrs. on the 4th set of motors? No wonder you haven't had time to post here.
Nice work and welcome!
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
John F.

Post by John F. »

Stephan wrote:4,000 hrs. on the 4th set of motors? No wonder you haven't had time to post here.
Nice work and welcome!
Stephan
That's what I was thinking. Welcome.

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
kross1

Post by kross1 »

I am also new here. My name is Kenny. I'm retired from the F.D.N.Y.
Just purchased 28 FBC sport fish in September. Hope to launch in may.
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

welcome
Kenny
1968 hull # 316 - 757
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Thx for all the welcomes, and yes gas motors, specifically 454 Merc’s didn’t last to long traveling 80 miles one way burning 28gph.
raybelanger

Post by raybelanger »

welcome jimmy
Carl

Post by Carl »

Welcome to the sandbox.

4K on present motors...

I get the 454's not lasting...or just not conducive for 80 mile trips, but what's the story with the two sets of motors between the 454's and present Cummings?
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Welcome Kenny. To answer your question...there were 3 sets of 454’s prior to the Cummins. Original 1973, another set replaced by original owner between 1973 and August of 1986 when we (Dad and I) bought the boat. Blew port one up in 1987, put 3rd set in that Winter. 2475hrs.on those. Looking and running tired 3rd set of 454’s removed and put the Cummins in after more than a year of boat out of service. Built teak cockpit deck also. 2002 finished that project just in time to sea trial her on way to Hatteras. 1st Oil Change in Hatteras Harbor.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Kenny

Welcome. As you all ready know, we have members with all makes and models. So ask any questions or post what ever boat related items you essnt.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Welcome sir!
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Uncle Markie

Post by Uncle Markie »

Hello there Earleybird
Dug

Post by Dug »

Welcome!!!
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Earlybird & Kenny,
welcome to the sandbox you will find a lot of knowledge about 31'Bertrams here, I sold my 31 Express 4 years ago after 37 years of stewardship. Hopefully next year I will be back on the water with another express cruiser. After being on the water for 45 years I miss it a lot. Kenny what house were you stationed at in the FDNY. I was retired ona disability after 12 years on the job in Peabody Ma. 3 total knees and 17 surgeries and counting. I got my flight to Baltimore ortho doctor canceled tomorrow morning because we are supposed to get a blizzard up to 15 to 22 inches of snow staring early tomorrow AM thru Wednesday AM. Anyway your both welcome to the boa4rd. don't be afraid to ask it's not like the Hull Truth where they aren't very nice sometimes.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Thanks all.
I was stationed at 26 engine in Manhattan. Good luck to you.
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Thankyou all for the warm welcoming. In addition should any want to know, I am pulling the motors out of the EarleyBird shortly to do maintenance ie...heat exchangers, turbos, port salt water pump, (did stbd.earlier this year) renew salt water 2” in and out hoses, port tranny, alternators, various leaking hoses,etc.,and paint. It is easier to remove them than do this in place,believe me. Paint E/R. As most of you know as per a previous chat, it is inevitable that they are subject to rust, The are only covered by a fiberglass box and saltwater being the most corrosive element known to man, sooner or later use the boat enough the boxes get wet.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

a welcome early bird you will find a great family here with 4000 hours your Cummins are just broken in ! i also have a 73 FBC with Cummins, after 100% reliability in 12 years they have surpassed a Toro lawn mower i had as the best mechanical device i have ever owned.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

You are absolutely correct,the Cummins are “ just broken in”. Being that they get between 3-400 hrs.every year it’s time for some TLC. Like I said it is easier to take ‘em out then do it in place, a Slinky I am not. I welded a lifting beam specifically for these motors years ago, and in the Pt.Pleasant NJ area there are many 31’s with identical motors. Sooner or later they’ll be doing the same and my beam is available to all.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have 2006 Cummins 330 hp and i believe everybody has an engine long life theory.for me although i can get all the Rotella engine oil i want for free i go out and purchase Valvoline diesel blue HD 10w- 30w (The same oil recommended by Cummins on the engine side data plate) same with coolant free in 50gallon drums i use Valvoline blue lifetime coolant actually reduces running temperature to 190 degrees summer, winter any ambient temperature.returning home from offshore canyon a 3-hour ride i go from 30knt cruise to 5mph zone the oil pressure alarm would start screaming (Rotella oil turn to piss viscosity) change to Valvoline immediately and that was the end of that 11 years ago. i am in my twilight years so i am open to opinion but not oil, coolant in my Cummins. i also use Valvoline VR-1 racing oil (high zinc) in my Corvette collection one of which shifts at 7000 rpm.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Alright Bob, knock off that "twilight years" talk. We know you are like those Cummins diesels and you're just getting broken in.......
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tommy God bless you and your cheerful outlook!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
neil

Post by neil »

Bob like tommy said ,enough with this twill
Light shit you will live as long as your engines,we are in Aruba this week and happened to meet a guy from Cummins that writes the computer software for all of there engines it was a real pleasure to meet someone that knows more about our engines then
Even bob lico I got his card and told me to call him when any of us have a tuff question I never thought I would meet someone that knew as much as you about our engines but now I have,now it is time for you to start planning our next rendezvous,and now that the earley bird is retired he can not only show up but help you plan it
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Not to hijack this thread, but I hope all is well. I know personal stuff has kept you away. We are still here for you.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Welcome, can’t but help but think of the other jimmy early

https://youtu.be/53o7_NqrTQA
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

I believe our last names are spelled differently, mine has an additional “e”. Earley. Boat is Earley Bird. Two words.