Heads up in the Northeast!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rawleigh

Heads up in the Northeast!

Post by Rawleigh »

Looks like another bad Nor'easter is headed your way!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Pete Fallon

Re: Heads up in the Northeast!

Post by Pete Fallon »

Rawleigh,
The NOAA and local weather gurus are calling for 40 to 65 mph winds North of Boston further South and the Islands up to 90 MPH in gusts and 3 high tides of over 15 feet plus 3 to 5 inches of rain turning to snow before it ends on Saturday PM. They are calling for mandatory evacuations along northeast facing coastlines. Normal tides are 9.8 ' but with new moon tides and 3 days of tides that aren't able to go out They expect 15.4, 15.6' and 15.9' it's going to be a real mess. I have lived thru 8 Hurricanes and the Blizzard of 1978 and this is a winter to remember so far
, my knee says its going to be a bad one.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Dug

Post by Dug »

Its blowing pretty hard and gusty here in Worcester, and raining steadily and with purpose. Just talked to Randy down at Brewer Street Boatworks and an 18 wheeler just blew over on the Newport Bridge. The whole bridge is shut down to traffic now. Tides are high and pics from friends on the coast (Both Annisquam (cape ann) and GLP/Mystic) show really high water. Supposed to be higher tonight. Fun times. Be safe everyone!!!!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Both bridges over the Rappahannock River (White Stone & Tappahannock) here are closed due to tractor trailer accidents until tomorrow morning. Some people won't be getting home tonight.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Dug Rawleigh et al,
Sustained wind at Salem Willows at 47MPH gusts to 65. Seas 8 to 10 in Salem Sound. Salem Willows is a peninsular that juts into Salem Sound has been an island since the 1st high tide at 11:30 this morning. There is a granite day beacon 1/4 mile from my house is called Abbott Rock the top is 25' above low water I can just see the very top of the of the day shape. Waves are hitting the sea wall and going into the yard . Down the street at Juniper Beach the waves are going into the street and over spray is going over the houses across the street. Bad flooding down the street from Juniper Cove is 4"feet with cars floating out of their driveways.
Nantucket had gusts to 89 MPH and Providence town has had 83 MPH gusts. Tonight's tide at midnight is supposed to be the highest ever recorded in Boston at 15.6 feet. The entire area is a complete mess because of flooding and downed tress and power poles, took me an hour to go 8 miles this afternoon at 2:00 PM.
It's going to be a wicked pisser of a storm until tomorrow afternoon when it supposed to end.
Pete Fallon
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Not sure yet if NJ dodged a bullet yet. Talked with my sister around 1 and the wind had not shifted to the NE yet and the water level while high it was not even close to the bottom of the docks.

I suspect the docks will go underwater tonight but it should still remain about 3 feet below the top of the bulkheads on the lagoons. Not sure how the barrier islands are doing.

I think Neil, JP, Tom and Company who are in Point Pleasant and are slightly North of my house down there have a bigger tide fluctuation so they may get wet feet.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
neil

Post by neil »

Tony,when it blows out of the north our part of the bay is very low,all the water goes south down bye you,the ocean and the river in Brielle is very high,thanks for your concern and good luck
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

the north wind saved our ass and kept most of the water out
it could of been much worst
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Neil

We got lucky, the storm stayed south and moved offshore then up the coast. North of us got hammered. Although my sister in law up in Sussex county had snow and lost power. Jcp&l told them it looks like March 8 before they get power back.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
raybelanger

Post by raybelanger »

waters up now in toms river
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Sounds like a snow maker or two in the forecast. Mountains need it. Been terrible for those that ski and the winter sports. Hope you all made it through the "bomb cyclone" ok.
Hey Pete, you should be down in Florida. It's been hot as hell down her for February March until tonight. Down to 69 degrees tonight. Had to burn some Australian Pine in the fire pit. All the wood is courtesy of Irma!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

raybelanger wrote:waters up now in toms river
Ray it was supposed to be lower this afternoon but jumped up. Hit the top of the dock here in forked tiver, but still had 3 feet before the top of the bulkhead. Over on the river itself, it has
out onto the road in some of the lower areas.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

We were lucky in the areas we frequent. High water but not too high. Our house is not in the flood zone but the pictures I have seen only reinforce the need not to live in an area that gets wet with a high tide. I just tell myself how it could be in a real storm!!!! And we, in CT, really did not have a real storm.... thankfully.

Up here in Central MA, it was windy, blustery, but not damaging. But you didn't have to go far for it to have been.

We are due another one on Wednesday and then supposedly another in a few more days. The coastal areas that have already been hit hard for a couple days may well get a real punch. The pictures of the waves breaking OVER the houses in Scituate, MA are astounding. Just crazy...

It was a heck of a blow!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Dug,
Spent first 15 years of my life in Scituate. Watched houses get torn off foundation in 1991 I think it was. Think it was the no name storm. I was only 2 for the blizzard of 78. My father still has the coal/wood burning stove that got us and some of the neighbors through the storm and power outages afterwards.
I just watched a bunch of videos of this storm from Scituate. The amount of excavators and front end loaders sitting in salt water at seawall construction zones is mind boggling. Just park them where the worst waves crash.........kind of weird. People driving new Tahoe's through all the salt water...wtf! I just don't get it.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Kevin

When you lease a car, you don't care what you drive it through. I believe Rust of the undercarriage would fall under normal wear and tear so no additional cost when you turn it in.

It's the poor sucker who buys it used that gets hammered.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Kevin,
During the 1978 Blizzard the waves were breaking over the roof of my house 28' high (just like the videos of Scituate) and I lost 35 feet of my sea wall and 10" of the back yard, water came to the foundation of the house and into a basement apartment that I had. I also lost a car that was parked down the street drowned it up to the roof. This past storm the water and waves were more from the North/Northeast than the East/Northeast of 78. Still my old house had waves crashing against the sea wall 2 houses away that ripped up her patio and part of the sea wall. My old house lost part of the stairs that led to the rocks below and part of a cap wall that the guy that bought it from me put up and didn't do any up keep for 20 years. One of the pleasures of living directly on the waterfront with a East South East exposure. Great in the summer but sucks in the winter. Now we have another Northeaster coming in tomorrow and Thursday this time it's going to be more snow than rain and moving a lot quicker according to the weather guru's here in Boston. I agree with you I should be in Florida but going back and forth to Baltimore this winter once a month for my knee has taken priority over Florida. I will be there next year for sure. Do you still have the hinges for the hatches that I gave you a few years ago, if so hold on to them for me, I will get them next year.
Pete Fallon
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
We just had our 3rd Nor'easter in 3 weeks. !8'" of snow in Salem Willows with wind gusts to 65MPH. down the Cape way and Islands had wind gusts to 87MPH and over 250,000 people without power again, temps are in the 20's at night with highs around 40 during the day. I go snowed out of my doctors appointment in Baltimore because Boston airport was closed. Scheduled for another appointment next Tuesday, Guess What another storm is supposed to hit next Tuesday or Wednesday, my knee is killing me and I might just drive down but it's 6.5 hour drive and I can't drive more than an hour before I have to get out and stretch and walk abound to 15 minutes which adds another hour to the trip, flight is just over an hour to BWI. Tides were not a problem this last Nor'easter only 10.8 feet but the snow was heavy and brought down a lot of tree limbs and big pine trees knocking out power for the same people that didn't have power for 4 to 5 days the last storm, Out Dug's way, Uxbridge Ma, they hit the jackpot for snow totals with up to 27"" of snow in under 24 hours. Then you have to go out and shovel for hours at a time, I watched the maintenance man at my apartment in Peabody, with a big snow blower equipped with chains go 3 feet then back up and go another 3 feet because of the wetness of the snow fall.
No matter where you live there is always a weather related problem, earth quakes and fires in California, tornado's and floods n the mid west, hurricanes in the east and south, you just can't beat mother nature. Maybe it's time to move to Fiji, forget that, I forgot they have tidal waves. Just can't beat it.
Pete Fallon
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I bet you are missing Florida now Pete! Be safe what ever you do. Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

Its been fun for sure! We ended up with 17” or so at the house. It was a good time to have my parents away, and not have to compete for who had the plow. Between the truck and the snowblower clean up was pretty straightforward. If I had to lodge a complaint, which I am not prone to doing for real, the ground is not frozen anymore, so the lawn took a beating, especially at my parents house where Dad is not into using snowposts, but won’t gamble either. I did the best I could, but there are a few marks... LOL. Grass seed will be appropriate in a couple weeks.

Might get more Wednesday. Who knows!

Springtime in New England.

D
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
Here we go again another Nor'easter on Wednesday, the forecast is for 5 to 10 inches of snow starting mid day Wednesday. I have already been cancelled for my flight to Baltimore tomorrow morning they are getting 6" plus in metro Washington/Baltimore tomorrow and Thursday, I had a doctors appointment at 2:00 PM tomorrow afternoon this is the 3rd cancelation due to weather in the past 3 weeks.
I am temped to just get in the car and drive down but with my knee I have to stop every hour to get out and walk around for 15 minutes, it's a 7 hour drive normally and add around 90 minutes more for stretching it turns into almost 9 hours. I guess I will wait until weather breaks, tomorrow is the first day of spring who knows maybe I'll get there by April fools day.
I'm sitting here with the cat on my lap and an ice bag on my right knee for pain relief. I am really getting sick of New England winter, Florida for sure next year.
Pete Fallon
Dug

Post by Dug »

Pete,

You beat me to the news... We are being given a forecast of 6-10 here in Central MA. Yay... Wish I could help you out!!!!

Dug
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Well here in NJ we are expected to get 12 or better. This is not over yet, the long range forcast says this pattern is going to last until April 10.

Last snow I remember in April 6th, 1982 opening day for the Yankees. Only time I ever had tickets for opening day and they get snowed out. Go figure.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
Jet Blue called me back at midnight on Monday night and said they have a flight at 11:15 AM to Baltimore . I booked it and got to the airport at 10:00 AM, we boarded the plane at 11:00 AM and then sat at the gate for an hour then they shut the engines off and the pilot came on the intercom and said there was a problem with the computer on the plane and everyone get off. They said they were trying to get another plane but didn't know what time it was going to take off. At this point I have already missed the doctors appointment and I didn't feel like taking a plane ride to Baltimore and my return flight was supposed to return to Boston at 7:00 PM. So I told the ticket agent to cancel me completely and put the ticket in my Jet Blue travel bank. I tried to rebook this morning for a flight next Tuesday I couldn't use my confirmation code, I called reservations and they told me that they refunded my flight money back into my debit account, At least I did loose and money. The same flight that I booked 3 weeks ago for $65. each way is now $143.00 I guess it wasn't meant to be. I found out that nothing was taking off from Baltimore after 6:00PM last night because of the Nor'easter. I would have spent the night in Baltimore and the doctors office was shut down today because of the storm.
So far it hasn't even started snowing here in Boston and It's 9:00PM but they are still calling for 4" to 8 " of heavy wet snow and 40 to 50 MPH winds along the coast up until midday tomorrow. I am going to try it again next week the calendar says it's spring but you can't prove here in New England. And my knee still hurts.
Pete Fallon
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Pete

Heavy wet snow up here in NE NJ. Raining and snowing along the shore areas. Heavy snow more inland. Looks like we are only going to get about 6 inches but they still have snow for us for about another 5 hours so lets see.

Stay safe.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

We ended up with 12 inches in Manasquan.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

So much for Spring!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

yep
we got a foot of it, on long island
some people got more
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful.
I would love to be a weatherman who gets a $75,000 a year for being wrong 80% of the time. We got about 1-1/2 inches of snow just north of Boston they were predicting 4 to 8 . Where are the robins, they are supposed to be the signs of spring, all we have up here are sea gulls and pigeons . Lots of beach erosion in Situate and Plum Island from heavy surf. So far this winter beach erosion is the worst ever on record.
Pete Fallon