Help needed identifing HP on these Yanmars

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

waggles02673

Help needed identifing HP on these Yanmars

Post by waggles02673 »

I am looking at buying a boat and one of the Yanmars is a 4LHA-STP continuous power is kW 140/3100 RPM and 177/3300 rpm. This engine is a Yanmar 230-240 or correct?

The second motor in the boat is a 4LHA-DTE continuous power kW 116/3100 RPM and kW 140/3300 RPM. Is this engine a Yanmar 190hp? Just trying to make sure I am not miss reading the HP on these 2 engines in the boat in question. If they are truly different HP why would someone repower with 2 different HP motors?

Thanks

Jon
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Help needed identifing HP on these Yanmars

Post by CaptPatrick »

Jon,

They are indeed a 240 & a 190 hp mismatch... Keep looking!
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
waggles02673

Post by waggles02673 »

Capt Pat thanks as always
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

"If they are truly different HP why would someone repower with 2 different HP motors?"

They are an idiot or they are looking to screw someone.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Rawleigh,
Not enough info to make a determination but I saw quite a few mismatched 4lha engines in boats when diesel repowers became popular.

One of the first was a 28 Bert that a guy repowered and brought to me after the sea trial empty went fine. After he loaded up couldn't get on plane. Installer couldn't figure it out.

First thing I did when he pulled up to the dock was check model and serials. When the model suffix was different I told him I found his problem. He was pissed, offered to pay me, I declined and he went on his way more than likely back to his repower guy.

Sometimes its as simple as checking the model numbers.
waggles02673

Post by waggles02673 »

The seller bought the boat from a friend who did the repower himself. The current owner claims to know nothing about the mismatched motors. I think his "friend" who repowered the boat himself either screwed him or the current owner isn't being truthful with us. Needless to say we walked away from the deal.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Or, one engine bought the farm, they couldn't find a matching engine on the cheap so they got what they could and are now looking to offload it on some unsuspecting idiot...

Why do I say idiot?!... Because anybody who's going to buy a boat costing several tens of thousands and doesn't get it surveyed prior to purchasing is an idiot!... And ANY half way decent surveyor should find the mismatched engines even when drunk or recovering from a hangover...
Kbeach

Post by Kbeach »

I know this an old thread but was it a 1981 model in massachusetts?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Kbeach wrote:I know this an old thread but was it a 1981 model in massachusetts?
Kbeach

You will need to ask Waggles. Best bet would be to click on his name in the post that will allow you to choose to either PM him or send him an email.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315