Craig Mac

FLOSCAN

Post by Craig Mac »

Just received this e-mail update from Floscan-----

-----Original Message-----
To: FloScan Sales <sales@floscan.com>
Sent: Thu, Feb 1, 2018 2:40 pm
Subject: FloScan Closure

It is with regret that I must inform you that FloScan will be closing its doors at the end of February. We have had a great 40-year run but the past few years have been difficult to maintain operations and profitability. We are currently taking final orders up until the end of this month. However, the FloScan model type and quantity that we can build and ship will be subject to availability. Lastly, we are in negotiations with a buyer to take over supplying spare parts and will advise once this matter is finalized.

We sincerely appreciate your business over the past 4 decades and wish you well.

Regards,

Joe Dydasco

Sales Manager
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: FLOSCAN

Post by Bruce »

I was a distributor for flowscan for quite some time. Joe, sales and Ed, service are great people.

Not surprised as all systems gas and diesel have flow rate info built into the can buss system on anything computerized and that can be all tied together into one display.

Their hi flow system was difficult to set up and calibrate and when you added the cost for labor, high quality hose and fittings, it was very expensive.

But again a great bunch of folks there. One of the few Marine companies I dealt with that I felt I didn't have to shower afterwards.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

I had one installed in my gas FBC
great units
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Carl

Post by Carl »

Floscan was one of the best upgrades...hmm now I have one to add to the other post.

Funny how they were cutting edge technology at the time and fallen to just another mundane dashboard gadget.
Guess its like the buggy whip, loran, reel to reel, records and 8 tracks.
Stuart Cooperrider

Post by Stuart Cooperrider »

Thanks for the news. My twinscan tach stopped working at the end of last season. Twin MC 454s. Port engine no longer registers rpms (starboard is good) but the synchro function still works so I've made do. My mechanic has determined the instrument is at fault. Does it make sense to get a replacement now (provided they have one) or move on. And if moving on is the recommendation, what next? I currently rely on the synchro as my sole synchrometer and have no room on my 31 FB panel for two tachometers. Alas. What are the best alternatives for both rpm and synchro with limited dash space?
WAC

Post by WAC »

Interesting as I just got my floscans yesterday. Ordered from Joe with no mention that they were closing the doors. He was extremely helpful and made the experience easy.
Hopefully someone will pick them or their product line up for future support.
Fingers crossed for no issues going forward.
Wayne Copeland
1972 Bertram 31 Flybridge Cruiser
1983 Boston Whaler Montauk
Project addict...
eyecatcher

Post by eyecatcher »

anyone hear of the bluetooth wireless optio fuel flow sensors? A set of 4 for diesel would run about $1400. Looks very interesting. http://www.interactio.co/optio-fuel
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

It looks interesting. I would want to know what the barbs are made out of. They look like plastic of some sort which would make me a little nervous when dealing with fuel of any kind. If they crack you have a mess and a down engine.

The other thing to find out is that since it is blue tooth, how the reception between devices will work on your boat. You might have electrical interference from the engines or other devices, such as radios, depth finder etc.

Otherwise, it works, it could be the answer to loosing flo scan.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I still like to look at the gauge without reaching for my phone. But it would be interesting on bigger boats than ours.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
eyecatcher

Post by eyecatcher »

the maretron stuff looks much nicer. I reached out to see if anything has been ceritifed, company is based out of canada and seems real new, supposedly they will be coming out with a nema2000 hub to interface to a plotter display that has the capability.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

A little insight to fuel systems.

On no return systems, or low flow return systems which don't raise fuel temp much figuring out flow is not much of an issue.

On high flow systems and systems that use the fuel as cooling, fuel density changes which changes flow rate thru a sensor.
Flowscan used software and a temp probe in their high flow sensors to correct density changes.

They also used pulsation dampers to combat pump pulsation which affects flow.

Which ever system one chooses, make sure the company understands those issues.