Parallel switch- battery crossover

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt Rex
Location: Vessel: Stock Island, Fl; Me: Malibu, CA when not on board

Parallel switch- battery crossover

Post by Capt Rex »

Hi all, mine quit. Is there a sylinoid that might have died? Where might it be located on a B 28 if so? I guess it could be the toggle switch... haven’t explored yet with a meter. Ideas what most likely fails?

Thanks, Rex
jbottoms

Re: Parallel switch- battery crossover

Post by jbottoms »

If it's original, mine had a starter solenoid behind the panel in the engine compartment. Be sure to use an ignition protected solenoid if you have to replace it.

I'm switching mine over to a Blue Seas ACR system.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

On the 31 there was a solenoid in the engine compartment. Easy to find just follow the wires from the bridge switch down. You can still purchase that solenoid. In fact you can get ones that are coated so they are water proof to some degree. I know that the originals were from Cole Herse.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Donmystic1

Post by Donmystic1 »

Does anyone have a picture of the switch and the location on a 1986 28 Flybridge?
Capt Rex

Post by Capt Rex »

Thank you Mr Bottoms for the pointers. Went back behind there and found a mess... things get ugly in places seldom frequented. Cleaned up some corrosion and back in business. I’m in the Exumas, Bahamas- all problems sourced from owner error/stupidity- like this one. Another example, a little while back I blew an alternator; guess what? The other side- fortunately I was near Nassau at the time but still a pain with customs and all. Hindsite, should have done it with the other back in the States. I didn’t think to take a picture and it’s just put back together now. Perhaps this will help, there is a little solenoid above my port main on the firewall (not sure what it’s for and curious there is not one I can see on the starboard side... maybe someone can chime in?). The parallel solenoid looks very similar except 2 or 3 x’s the size. Hopefully that helps answer your question.

Have to tell you all, been in some pretty snooty weather and there is no other 28’er I’d rather be on! I’m keeping a log and a journal; I’ll have to post at some point when I’m done.

Very best and thanks again for you all and the wisdom of this site. Rex
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rex

It is not large. Maybe 2 1/2 inches high and it is round. Should have two terminals on the side for the battery wires and then two smaller connections points on the front for the wires coming from the switch.

If you can not locate one I have a Cole Hearse one that was on my 31 for only about two years. The one I have has a grey plastic coating on it to protect it and it is a Cole Hearse model. I was going to re-use it but the Cummins dealer who put my engines in beat me to it and put in a new one.

I can dig it out tomorrow and see if there is model number on it if you would like.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Capt Rex

Post by Capt Rex »

Tony, my is working fine- had corrosion, just needed cleaning. Thanks to the other post, I found it and is as you described. About 2x’s as big as another solenoid facing the port main on the firewall... still don’t know what that smaller one does. Looks to be identical but a mini version.

Also, by chance can anyone explain how and where the Volvo diesel kill switch actual shuts the main down?

Thanks all, Rex