Seeking Caribbean (SVI's, USVI's & BVI's) expertise...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

Seeking Caribbean (SVI's, USVI's & BVI's) expertise...

Post by Navatech »

Lady S, my 46' Bertram Convertible is currently in Fajardo, PR... I've almost finished getting her ready for the trip to Miami, FL... So, I'm starting to do some actual trip planning... I want to start out (late spring early summer) by doing a sort of "shakedown" cruise in the Caribbean... Basically start in Fajardo, PR, visit the SVI's (Spanish Virgin Islands - Culebra & Vieques), cruise a bit among the USVI's and BVI's and then return to San Juan, PR for refueling and provisioning before continuing...

What should I put on my bucket list?!... What islands, beaches etc should I see/visit?!... Time frame for this part is 2-3 weeks... Can do less and can do another week if something justifies it...

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!...
Navatech

Re: Seeking Caribbean (SVI's, USVI's & BVI's) expertise...

Post by Navatech »

I have received some suggestions elsewhere (THT) and I'll be updating this post as more come in:
Last edited by Navatech on Feb 17th, '17, 14:39, edited 2 times in total.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nav,

Beautiful pics, beautiful places.

One question: If you swim away from the shore, a-la-Med, where if you feel like it you stop your boat in the middle of nowhere and dive in the deep blue waters, how frequent is it that you will be able to climb onboard alive in those places? I'm talking sharks and other lovely creatures.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:Beautiful pics, beautiful places.
There's a reason these are popular spots...
Yannis wrote:One question: If you swim away from the shore, a-la-Med, where if you feel like it you stop your boat in the middle of nowhere and dive in the deep blue waters, how frequent is it that you will be able to climb onboard alive in those places? I'm talking sharks and other lovely creatures.
First off, there are sharks in the Mediterranean too!... And attacks do occur!... Sharks are, evolutionary speaking, a huge success!... Many years ago (decades in fact) there was a big writeup about them in National Geographic.. Second, fish (including sharks) see (adult) humans as simply big fish... Big fish rarely feed on big fish... Too much trouble I guess... Frankly, in most cases if you don't bother them and you don't look like food they'll leave you alone...

Are you sure you can't get on a plane?!... I'm looking for a mate and I won't say no to some help with the fuel...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nice story but not an answer !
How the hell do I know, before diving, if I look like food? Do you know what food looks like in a shark's mind?

As for the latter I'm flattered. But, apart from the plane's misery, its going to set me back by a few k's and I'm not ready for this right now... What do you have in mind in terms of fuel costs? How long a journey? Dates? You see, I'm interested but I'm afraid its too heavy a cost right now...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:How the hell do I know, before diving, if I look like food? Do you know what food looks like in a shark's mind?
A wounded (bleeding) fish of any size looks like food for a shark... Anything on a surfboard... Especially if clothed in a dark wet suit... FWIW, literally tens of thousands of people swim, snorkel and dive those waters every day of the year WITHOUT incidents... And again, I remind you that shark attacks are not entirely unknown in the Mediterranean...
Yannis wrote:But, apart from the plane's misery, its going to set me back by a few k's and I'm not ready for this right now... What do you have in mind in terms of fuel costs? How long a journey? Dates? You see, I'm interested but I'm afraid its too heavy a cost right now...
Dates is going to be late spring early summer... Duration of the shakedown cruise is going to be 2-3 weeks, possibly 4 weeks... It's a once in a lifetime trip and I'm not going to rush it... Costs would roughly as follows:
  • Air travel to the US: $1,000...
  • Fuel (@ 3.30/gallon): $1,200 - $1,800 (that's your half)...
  • Food & drinks (@200 pp/week): $600 - $800...
  • Incidentals (@100 pp/week): $300 - $400...
That's a total of roughly $3K (for a 3 week cruise) to $4K (for a 4 week cruise) assuming you don't bring a female companion...
Last edited by Navatech on Feb 18th, '17, 03:18, edited 1 time in total.
micky

Post by micky »

I live in PR and my boat is in Fajardo (Sea Lovers Marina). If you need anything, send me an email to michaelkbrunelle@gmail.com

Where do you have your boat?
JH_B28

Post by JH_B28 »

Nav,

All the suggestions you posted are very good. Mostly every summer I make a trip to the bvi's and visit as many beaches as I can. I will post up the ones i remember:

In culebra:

1) Culebrita - small island to the east of the main island, it has the best beach and you can anchor up close.
2) Dakity - its basically an anchorage you will see when entering ensenada honda. Well protected for overnighters and has a part with a sand bar that you can reach in a dinghy.
3) Las Pelas - further to the east from ensenada honda and before culebrita. It is an anchorage right in front of the reef and mangroves. Very calm and nice to sleep the night anchored or tied to a mooring ball. If you anchor behind the small island in the entrance, you get a good patch of sand to enjoy the day.

In vieques, the best beaches are to the south of the island. You can start from west to east and you can find at least 5 good ones. I dont recommend any of them for an overnight as they are not well protected by any reefs (maybe in front of Esperanza).

USVI's:

St thomas: If you want to make a pit stop before the bvi's , you can stop at crownbay marina to get fuel/water, have lunch/drinks at Tickles Dockside pub (the best) and the go to honeymoon beach in Water island's Druif Bay (very close to Crownbay). If you have nice and calm seas, Magens bay on the north side of the island is an excellent spot too.

St. John: Once you pass Cruz Bay, there are a lot of secluded sandy white beaches to the north of the island. I have found that the most calm and pleasant is Mahoe Bay.

BVIS: There are endless choices. Here are the ones I visit the most:

White Bay, Jost Vand Dyke - The best beach you will find in Jost Van Dyke. Go to The Soggy Dollar, have a couple of Painkillers and enjoy the view. If you want to enjoy a good lobster plate, go to Sydney's Peace & Love located in Garner bay. Its farther to the east once you pass white bay.

Cane garden Bay, Tortola - very nice anchorage to enjoy the day or sleep the night. It has many small restaurants in the beach. Good music & parties in the afternoon/ night.

Norman Island - you have entertainment everywhere in this island. Start by snorkeling in the caves and later pass by The Pirates Bight to have the best Bushwacker you can find in the BVI's. If you want a little more entertainment go to Willy T's and have lunch/dinner/drinks and watch people jump naked from the top level (if you're into that LOL)

Little Harbour, Peter Island - Nice anchorage for snorkeling and passing the night. You can enjoy a nice aquarium at night right at the boat's transom (if you have under water lights) - can see sharks, manta rays, turtles, etc.

Virgin Gorda - Lots of places to go! Start with The Baths for snorkeling and a nice tour. There are many nice beaches along side the island, my favorite is Savannah Bay. Continue to the north sound and you have a couple of marinas that have good entertainment and accommodations if you want a night off the boat. These include Leverick Bay Marina and Bitter End Yacht club. Right next to BEYC is Saba Rock, a nice little island with a small hotel, dock and waterfront bar/restaurant.

If you want to go a little bit farther, go to Anegada, to the north of Virgen Gorda. You'll find the best bottom fishing around. (remember to get your bvi permit, ask me how i know LOL)

If you need more recommendations, just let me know. I know much of the islands by heart.

best regards,

George
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

micky wrote:I live in PR and my boat is in Fajardo (Sea Lovers Marina).
Where in PR do you live?!...
micky wrote:If you need anything, send me an email to michaelkbrunelle@gmail.com
Thanks!...
micky wrote:Where do you have your boat?
Just down the road... Villa Marina... We'll have to get together for a couple of cold ones or something...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

JH_B28 wrote:Nav,

All the suggestions you posted are very good. Mostly every summer I make a trip to the bvi's and visit as many beaches as I can. I will post up the ones i remember:

In culebra:

1) Culebrita - small island to the east of the main island, it has the best beach and you can anchor up close.
2) Dakity - its basically an anchorage you will see when entering ensenada honda. Well protected for overnighters and has a part with a sand bar that you can reach in a dinghy.
3) Las Pelas - further to the east from ensenada honda and before culebrita. It is an anchorage right in front of the reef and mangroves. Very calm and nice to sleep the night anchored or tied to a mooring ball. If you anchor behind the small island in the entrance, you get a good patch of sand to enjoy the day.

In vieques, the best beaches are to the south of the island. You can start from west to east and you can find at least 5 good ones. I dont recommend any of them for an overnight as they are not well protected by any reefs (maybe in front of Esperanza).

USVI's:

St thomas: If you want to make a pit stop before the bvi's , you can stop at crownbay marina to get fuel/water, have lunch/drinks at Tickles Dockside pub (the best) and the go to honeymoon beach in Water island's Druif Bay (very close to Crownbay). If you have nice and calm seas, Magens bay on the north side of the island is an excellent spot too.

St. John: Once you pass Cruz Bay, there are a lot of secluded sandy white beaches to the north of the island. I have found that the most calm and pleasant is Mahoe Bay.

BVIS: There are endless choices. Here are the ones I visit the most:

White Bay, Jost Vand Dyke - The best beach you will find in Jost Van Dyke. Go to The Soggy Dollar, have a couple of Painkillers and enjoy the view. If you want to enjoy a good lobster plate, go to Sydney's Peace & Love located in Garner bay. Its farther to the east once you pass white bay.

Cane garden Bay, Tortola - very nice anchorage to enjoy the day or sleep the night. It has many small restaurants in the beach. Good music & parties in the afternoon/ night.

Norman Island - you have entertainment everywhere in this island. Start by snorkeling in the caves and later pass by The Pirates Bight to have the best Bushwacker you can find in the BVI's. If you want a little more entertainment go to Willy T's and have lunch/dinner/drinks and watch people jump naked from the top level (if you're into that LOL)

Little Harbour, Peter Island - Nice anchorage for snorkeling and passing the night. You can enjoy a nice aquarium at night right at the boat's transom (if you have under water lights) - can see sharks, manta rays, turtles, etc.

Virgin Gorda - Lots of places to go! Start with The Baths for snorkeling and a nice tour. There are many nice beaches along side the island, my favorite is Savannah Bay. Continue to the north sound and you have a couple of marinas that have good entertainment and accommodations if you want a night off the boat. These include Leverick Bay Marina and Bitter End Yacht club. Right next to BEYC is Saba Rock, a nice little island with a small hotel, dock and waterfront bar/restaurant.

If you want to go a little bit farther, go to Anegada, to the north of Virgen Gorda. You'll find the best bottom fishing around. (remember to get your bvi permit, ask me how i know LOL)

If you need more recommendations, just let me know. I know much of the islands by heart.

best regards,

George
Excellent post!... Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for!... Definitely need more recommendations!... As many as you can manage!...

Questions:
  • Fishing permit: I assume that's done when clearing in at BVI customs on Jost Van Dyke?!...
  • Las Pelas: does it have another name?!... I'm unable to locate it with Google etc...
I've realized one thing at this point, it will be hard to do all the planning on one post (see above)... I'll plan off-line and then post the result separately... I hope I'll be able to do a separate thread documenting the actual cruise...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

George,

Do you go there in your B 28 ?
micky

Post by micky »

I live in Guaynabo. I was in Villa marina for over 20 years but the service there is no good anymore. I'll be there monday. What dock is your boat?

Las Pelas is the next beach as soon as you pass Dakiti (Ensenada Honda).

I forgot my phone 787-525-0832.
Last edited by micky on Feb 18th, '17, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
micky

Post by micky »

Yannis wrote:George,

He has been rebuilding his boat since he bought it. We are friends.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanks Micky.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

micky wrote:I live in Guaynabo.
Ouch!... That's a long drive!... What's your commute?!... 1-1/2 hours each way with good traffic?!...
micky wrote:I was in Villa marina for over 20 years but the service there is no good anymore.
I'm not sure what you consider service but I will agree that Villa Marina isn't run very well...
micky wrote:I'll be there monday. What dock is your boat?
A dock... Near the middle of the little dry stack... Almost all the way to the little convenience store... 5th berth from the inner road side...

micky wrote:Las Pelas is the next beach as soon as you pass Dakiti (Ensenada Honda).
North or south of Dakity?!...

micky wrote:I forgot my phone 787-525-0832.
I've put your number in my address book... I'll certainly give you a call when I'm back in PR...
micky

Post by micky »

I'll check her out tomorrow. I'll be working in a boat in dry stack.

Where the yellow tag is.
JH_B28

Post by JH_B28 »

[/quote]

Excellent post!... Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for!... Definitely need more recommendations!... As many as you can manage!...

Questions:
  • Fishing permit: I assume that's done when clearing in at BVI customs on Jost Van Dyke?!...
  • Las Pelas: does it have another name?!... I'm unable to locate it with Google etc...
I've realized one thing at this point, it will be hard to do all the planning on one post (see above)... I'll plan off-line and then post the result separately... I hope I'll be able to do a separate thread documenting the actual cruise...[/quote]

Nav,

You can ask for more information about the permit at customs. Last time I got one they sent me to an office in Roadtown, near Village Cay marina (great marina btw).

Las Pelas: if you look it up in google maps it goes by the name: Bahía Almodovar or Pelá. The little island I mentioned is Pelaita. Find a spot there and you're set.

Regards,
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's
JH_B28

Post by JH_B28 »

Yannis wrote:George,

Yannis,

I wish LOL. As micky said, I started with "small repairs" and ended up with a complete rebuild of the boat. I'm already 4 years into it, doing everything by myself and with my old man. The times that I went to the BVI were on other friends boats or my 18' boston whaler (don't ask me how LOL).

Regards,
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Come on guys... I need more input!...

Pretty please?!...
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Hi Nav.

During the 90's my family did this every summer:

First day - Cross from Fajardo, PR to St. Thomas through Culebra (quick snack at Culebrita Island's beach). Do some shopping and spend the night at Crown Bay Marina.

Second day - Cross from St. Thomas to Soper's Hal Bay through the Southern passage and do customs very early in the morning before the Puerto Rican Navy arrived (to avoid the lines). Once customs were done we would navigate the Sir Francis Drake Channel up to Yacht Haven Marina in Virgin Gorda where we will stay at least two days. Re-fuel if needed. We rented motorcycles and/or jeeps to explore the whole island.

Third day - Stayed at Virgin Gorda (if you have a dinghy you may go to the Baths, Savanah Beach and all adjacent beaches).

Fourth day - Sometimes we will cross to Bitter End's Marina found at the end of Virgin Gorda and spent a night either on a mooring or at the marina. (Again, if you have a dinghy you may visit Necker Island's beach and adjacent beaches). However, we preferred to navigate back to Peter Island and spent a night at the marina. (We knew the locals and they treated us very well. However, I do not recommend staying there because it could be really expensive).

Fifth day - Navigate to the Indians early in the morning, snorkel a couple of hours; then go to Norman Island's cave and do some more snorkeling. After we got tired of feeding the sergeants, yellow tail snappers, etc., we will anchor at Norman Island's The Bight's bay (nice bar at the beach and beautiful sunset scene) and stay for the night. There are moorings available.

Sixth day - Cross to Culebrita Island at Culebra, PR early in the morning. In the afternoon we will anchor at "Las Pelas" Bay in Culebra and sleep there.

Seventh day - We fished from the dinghy, cross again to Culebrita (East and West side of the island) or had fun at "Las Pelas" bay.

Eight day - After snorkeling in Playa Tamarindo in Culebra, we will navigate our sorry asses back to Fajardo, PR with a very dark and dangerous tan (I did not care for sunscreen lotion at the time; young lad who knew better!).

Needless to say, we did visit different places and marinas throughout our trips (i.e.: Cane Garden, Tortola; Nanny Cay, Tortola; Just Van Dike; Sir Francis Drake Bay, St. John's; Anegada; etc.).

Hope this helps.

David
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

David, MANY thanks for your input... Having said that, what I really need is POI's (Points Of Interest)... I can make up my own route once I know which spots I want to hit...
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

JH_B28:

Check this site out. There you will find "Las Pelas" or "La Pela" Bay. It is tricky to get in. It would be great if you follow someone that knows the entry channel well

https://www.fws.gov/caribbean/refuges/culebra/Maps.htm
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Nav:

Not to miss:

The Baths and all interconnected beaches and bays. (Snorkeling gear in hand)
Savanah Beach
Rhone Wreck snorkeling and/or diving in Salt Island
The Indians (snorkeling)
Norman Island's caves (snorkeling)
Drinking a Pain Killer, Mojito and/or BushWalker at THE BIGHT in Norman Island's bar
Snorkeling at any of St. John's beaches
Swimming and Relaxing at Peter Island's Deadman's Bay
Soggy Dollar Bar, B-line and Foxy's Bars at Just Van Dyke
Shopping in St. Thomas in order to do it once and never again ;)
Eat and drink at Saba Rock right besides the Bitter End in Virgin Gorda
Dive or snorkel the Wreck of the Chikuzen in Virgin Gorda

I'll enrich the list as I continue to remember LOL
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Hueso wrote:JH_B28:

Check this site out. There you will find "Las Pelas" or "La Pela" Bay. It is tricky to get in. It would be great if you follow someone that knows the entry channel well

https://www.fws.gov/caribbean/refuges/culebra/Maps.htm
Is it possible that Google Earth has the same area marked as "Puerto del Manglar"?!...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Hueso wrote:Not to miss:

The Baths and all interconnected beaches and bays. (Snorkeling gear in hand)
Savanah Beach
Rhone Wreck snorkeling and/or diving in Salt Island
The Indians (snorkeling)
Norman Island's caves (snorkeling)
Drinking a Pain Killer, Mojito and/or BushWalker at THE BIGHT in Norman Island's bar
Snorkeling at any of St. John's beaches
Swimming and Relaxing at Peter Island's Deadman's Bay
Soggy Dollar Bar, B-line and Foxy's Bars at Just Van Dyke
Shopping in St. Thomas in order to do it once and never again ;)
Eat and drink at Saba Rock right besides the Bitter End in Virgin Gorda
Dive or snorkel the Wreck of the Chikuzen in Virgin Gorda
I've already done the St. Thomas shopping thing when I was on a cruise ship in the same area... Good stuff on the other POI's!...
Hueso wrote:I'll enrich the list as I continue to remember LOL
Looking forward to more... Sorry if I come off "greedy"... But it's not likely I'll ever be back (on a boat)... So this will be literally my once in a lifetime cruise of that area...
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

JH:

Yes. But you should anchor at what shows as Bahia Almodovar.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Hueso wrote:But you should anchor at what shows as Bahia Almodovar.
Got it... I've looked at my Navionics map and it shows that the depth is 10-11 feet on both sides of the islet at the entrance... I've got 5.5' draft... I'm not seeing a problem... Not seeing a problem with Ensenada Malena or Ensenada Dakity either... Now, the other beach (Playa Manzanilla) to the southwest of Bahia Almodovar, that's a totally different story and I don't even see a reason to try and enter that one...
Tom

Post by Tom »

To add to others great suggestions, some are repeats I'm sure

St Johns- Watermelon key snorkel or dive, dinghy ashore to the rum ruins

Bubble hole or bubbly pool on little Jost van Dyke. Moorings in front of Foxys Taboo. Hike is 10 minutes. BLine bar is a quick swim or dinghy away. National park with nice snorkeling and lots of turtles

Bars on Jost. Ivan's Stress Free, Foxys, Soggy Dollar, etc. anchorages or moorings depending upon locale

Morning hike around Sandy Key. Moorings there

Outside passage on west side of Tortola to Scrub Island. Small nice marina with great pool, food, spa
Short hop over to Virgin Gorda. If you do the baths, go early before crowds. Early lunch at top of the baths. Restaraunt a quick hike uphill from the Baths

Snorkel or dive the west side of Great Dog cay

North sound of Virgin Gorda. Bitter end is my wife favorite mooring. Usually spend a couple days of days here. We get day passes to BITTER END for pool, kiteboarding, sailing rentals, restaraunts. Nice hike up and over BITTER End. You can see Oil Nut Bay from the top. Also have Saba Rock. Good food, bar, tarpon feeding at 5. Moorings or marina at both places. Saba runs a ferry between the two.

11 mile run north to Anegada. Coral Island not volcanic. Moorings by the ferry dock. Great lobster dinners and morning pastries at a few places around the small bay. We also catch a cab to Loblolly Bay for the day. Snorkel, white beach, restaraunt and bar. Very low key and relaxing. Good fishing in Anegada

Salt Island, anchor and hunt for beach glass, old cemetery. Uninhabited now. Couple hour stop tops.

Peter Island, nice spendy resort

Cooper Island, rum bar, gelato, great restaraunt needs reservations. Moorings available. Good to great snorkel and diving. If current allows, the diving outside is really nice.

Norman Island. The Bight restaurant, snorkel dive the caves, Indians. Willy T's floating bar for booze and boobys.

If you dive, for sure hit the Rhone.

Sopers hole is a good place to clear customs. Some shopping, lots of free range chickens. Grab a couple for your trip if your brave enough. Expensive Pussers bar here.

Cane Garden Bay. Big bay and a nice mooring if the swell isn't bad. Several beach side eateries. Can get crowded.

You can provision most places. Roadtown has the biggest grocery but you can find food and sundries at most stops.
Viva la Presidente!
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Well, it looks like I have finalized my Virgin Islands (SVI's, USVI's & BVI's) shake down cruise planning... The plan is as follows:
  • Fajardo, PR to Esperanza, Vieques, PR for the bioluminescence and 1st overnight stopImage
  • Esperanza, Vieques, PR to Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, USVI for 2nd overnight stopImage
  • Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, USVI to Magen's Bay, St. Thomas, USVI, for 3rd overnight stopImage
  • Magen's Bay, St. Thomas, USVI, to Belle Vue, Jost Van Dyke, BVI for check-inImage
  • Belle Vue, Jost Van Dyke, BVI to White Bay, Jost Van Dyke, BVI, for 4th overnight stopImage
  • White Bay, Jost Van Dyke, BVI, to Lighthouse Marina, Tortola, BVI for 5th overnight stopImage
  • Lighthouse Marina, Tortola, BVI to Smuggler's Cove, Tortola, BVI for temporary stopImage
  • Smuggler's Cove, Tortola, BVI to Cane Garden Bay, Tortola, BVI for 6th overnight stopImage
  • Cane Garden Bay, Tortola, BVI to Brewers Bay, Tortola, BVI for temporary stop (no anchoring)Image
  • Brewers Bay, Tortola, BVI to Marina Cay, BVI for 7th overnight stopImage
  • Marina Cay, BVI to Anegada, BVI for 8th overnight stopImage
  • Anegada, BVI to North Sound, Virgin Gorda, BVI for 9th overnight stopImage
  • North Sound, Virgin Gorda, BVI to Savannah Bay, Virgin Gorda, BVI for temporary stopImage
  • Savannah Bay, Virgin Gorda, BVI to Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda, BVI for 10th overnight stopImage
  • Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda, BVI to Cooper Island, BVI for RMS Rhone diveImage
  • Cooper Island, BVI to Little Harbour, Peter Island, BVI for 11th overnight stopImage
  • Little Harbour, Peter Island, BVI to The Indians, BVI for temporary stopImage
  • The Indians, BVI to The Bight, Norman Island, BVI for 12th overnight stopImage
  • The Bight, Norman Island, BVI to Cruz Bay, St. John USVI for check-inImage
  • Cruz Bay, St. John USVI to Maho Bay, St. John USVI for temporary stopImage
  • Maho Bay, St. John USVI to Compass Point Marina, St. Thomas USVI for 13th overnight stopImage
  • Compass Point Marina, St. Thomas USVI to Culebrita, PR for temporary stopImage
  • Culebrita, PR to Bahia De Moldovar, Culebra, PR for 14th overnight stopImage
  • Bahia De Moldovar, Culebra, PR to Dakity Cove, Culebra, PR for temporary stopImage
  • Dakity Cove, Culebra, PR to San Juan, PR for 15th overnight stopImage
Feel free to comment... Total distance for this is about 300 NM... Total actual sailing time is about 25-30 hours... Total fuel consumption (mostly for the generator @ 1.5 US Gal/hour) is about 1,100 US Gal...

I'm seriously looking for people to join in order to share the costs...

See my new thread for the 2nd part of the adventure (moving the boat from PR to MIA)...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nav,

Out of curiosity, why is your gen consumption so heavy?
Why is it more important than your motors' consumption, anyway, so that you refer specifically to it.
300 nm X 7(?)lt/nm = 2+ tons X .4$/lt = $800+ for your cruise diesel*. How much would the gen $$ be ?

* I assumed roughly 150 lt per hour at 20 knots or so.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:Nav,

Out of curiosity, why is your gen consumption so heavy?
Why is it more important than your motors' consumption, anyway, so that you refer specifically to it.
300 nm X 7(?)lt/nm = 2+ tons X .4$/lt = $800+ for your cruise diesel*. How much would the gen $$ be ?

* I assumed roughly 150 lt per hour at 20 knots or so.
It's a big (17Kw) MASE generator powered by a Yanmar diesel engine... Don't forget that with all 3 AC units running, and other things like the hot water tank and the domestic type refrigerator the boat has a big load... Even without the planned washing machine & dryer... I also made the calculation based on an assumption that it will be running all the time... It's possible that actual consumption will be closer to 1 gallon/hour but I'd rather plan for a bigger budget end up with some pocket change then end up without fuel floating around somewhere with dry tanks...

At WOT the engines will consume 60 gallon/hour... I estimated the lower "economic" speed fuel consumption at 25 gallon/hour for the boat...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I refuse to believe even half of what you're t about !!! LOL

I believe you should bring your half way serviced boat in the Med. She will like it.Love it even.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:I refuse to believe even half of what you're t about !!! LOL

I believe you should bring your half way serviced boat in the Med. She will like it.Love it even.
And pay European fuel prices?!... Not a chance!... If I ever get a boat in that area it will be a blowboat!...
Tom

Post by Tom »

Sounds great, have fun. The west entrance/exit out of North sound is narrow. Usually good enough vis to eyeball it but uncomfortably narrow for some to run. You will be fine
Viva la Presidente!
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Looks like a great plan.
I am a little traveled Rhode Island boy so I was surprised to learn about the local flora. If you do hike out to the Bubble Pool on Jost van Dyck mind the Machineel trees https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchineel I was warned that they have a toxic sap on the leaves - not the place to hide out in a rain squall.
I know our last visit was going to be great when we arrived in Soaper's Hole to clear customs and had to wait for the Ivy Rose.
Enjoy!
Possunt quia posse videntur
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Stephan wrote:Looks like a great plan.
I am a little traveled Rhode Island boy so I was surprised to learn about the local flora. If you do hike out to the Bubble Pool on Jost van Dyck mind the Machineel trees https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchineel I was warned that they have a toxic sap on the leaves - not the place to hide out in a rain squall.
I know our last visit was going to be great when we arrived in Soaper's Hole to clear customs and had to wait for the Ivy Rose.
Enjoy!
I'm aware of the "little apple trees"... If there's space to dock at Foxy's Taboo we might do the hike to the Bubble Pool but there are similar pools (called jacuzzi) on Culebrita...

JH_B28

Post by JH_B28 »

Excellent trip Nav! Enjoy It! It took me about 3 years to complete that whole route LOL

As for diesel, you're going to need plenty of it. From what I can remember from my uncle's 46 (I was very young), she would cruise at 20-22kts with an estimated burn of 20-25gph per engine. That would be an avg of 0.5nmpg / 300 nm = 600 gallons. Those 8v92's like to suck diesel.
Be sure to fill up in Fajardo because fuel is expensive in the BVI's. I'm not sure how much it is now but I remember one year I went it was about $5.25/gal :O. Now its about $2.80/gal in Fajardo so I assume it should be at least $1/gal higher in the BVI or could be more.

Regards,
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

JH_B28 wrote:As for diesel, you're going to need plenty of it. From what I can remember from my uncle's 46 (I was very young), she would cruise at 20-22kts with an estimated burn of 20-25gph per engine. That would be an avg of 0.5nmpg / 300 nm = 600 gallons. Those 8v92's like to suck diesel.
Don't I know it... Fuel is the main reason I'm looking for people to come along on this trip...
JH_B28 wrote:Be sure to fill up in Fajardo because fuel is expensive in the BVI's. I'm not sure how much it is now but I remember one year I went it was about $5.25/gal :O. Now its about $2.80/gal in Fajardo so I assume it should be at least $1/gal higher in the BVI or could be more.
My tanks are always topped off... Last time I filled up in Fajardo (about a year ago) it was $3.30/gallon... I budgeted fuel in the USVI's and BVI's at $4.00/gallon...
gplume

Post by gplume »

I can't believe this string of posts. Have not been on line for a while. Tonight I decided i better check inwith my brothers. You guys came thru in a big way. Heading ti St Tomas on Monday ( 3/13 ) and the on to bvi to rent a power cat with 3 of my best friends from high school and their wifes. This is better than any of the cruise guides I have read....thanks guys great post.

Hopefully i will have some good pix fpr posting within 2 weeks when i have to head home.

All the best
Giff
Giff
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Giff,

This is.... "Navatech Tours".
All inclusive Pleasure & Comfort !!