Under water lights

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

Under water lights

Post by Craig Mac »

Is there a consensus for the best underwater lights? My friend is looking to replace his on a 32 Topaz.
Dug

Re: Under water lights

Post by Dug »

Personally I like the Macris product, but I know there are others out there that are good.

http://macrisindustries.com/

Dug
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

You guys are super affluent!
Do these lights help in fishing? they might help in other areas, though, so I could understand the exorbitant outlay...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Dug

Post by Dug »

Yannis,

Yes, the do attract fish.

More importantly they look badass cool. :)
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Dug,

This past summer I was having dinner in the boat, I think it was some sort of meat, and at some point I felt like biting on a bone.
I opened the all practical lower part of the forward window, the one right above the galley sink, and approaching my mouth near the opening, I spitted out the bone into the sea.
I returned to my seat and proceeded with my dinner, only to find out that I just couldnt continue eating. I had just gotten rid of my triple left bridge.
Next morning, hungry as I was, I put my mask on and went for the search...which was difficult but sucessful !
Had I had those lights, I could perhaps finish my dinner...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Could have been worse. You might have caught a fish wearing them.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I added a light before this season. It has been a huge hit with my family as we get lots of bait in the light after the sun goes down. I installed a Lumitec Seablaze X http://lumiteclighting.com/product/seab ... r-light-2/. I am of the opinion that lots and lots of lights are only good for the salesmen and installers. For me the one light does the trick and does not represent a significant power draw or a tremendous wiring exercise. The fish I asked never told me which color was better so I went for blue as I am of the opinion that blue light is more flattering than white or green for skinny-dipping.
Good luck-
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Dug

Post by Dug »

Ok, you got it Stephan.

Yannis, that is the other benefit. Tell the girls skinny dipping is ok and night swimming is best. Then you turn on the lights. Worth every penny.

D
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Dug wrote:Worth every penny.
Especially if a toothy fish shows up to the party... Something like a shark or a barracuda...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Ha !
I thought about it too, but also thought that if somebody else has already done it, I should hear it firsthand from them !
C'mon, who's played tricks on innocent skinny dippers and managed to live to write about his experience?

Nav, its the fish Tony said would be wearing my teeth !
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I know first hand why Dug loves his underwater lights. First off, he has a lot of them, second, in more than one color (if I remember correctly) and third, they are all on the transom aimed behind him.

I believe the quote is "when I pull away from the dock and hook Alchemy up, it looks like something out of StarWars when the lights are on at night!"

You secret is revealed, my friend!

Tom
Kiffa
Standing Member

Post by Kiffa »

I have used Coastal Night Lights, http://www.coastalnightlights.com/ , the owner, Chris, has been great to work with and his lights have been reliable and very bright. I have bought 12 over the last 5 years from him for myself and friends and had one fail which he took care of. They don't require and big holes to be cut and are relatively cheap compared to some other brands.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Yep, Tom, you are correct. I have white and blue. I can switch on all together or independently. They are epic. :)