bertram 28 Head question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bertram 20

bertram 28 Head question

Post by bertram 20 »

i have 86 28FBC it has a GROCO toilet i need to get a rebuild kit for it but i have looked through all of my paperwork for boat but i cant find what the model may be just wanted to know if anyone knew what model it may be it does appear to be the original unit for boat thanks
bertram 20

Re: bertram 28 Head question

Post by bertram 20 »

think i found it looks like a model k
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I believe on the 28 and 31's that was the standard toilet. Electric and manual. I do not believe the make the electric toilet anymore. wish they did. The conversion to get a different one in is a pain. The foot print on the new electric ones is bigger. If you go Vacu flush you have to take half the boat apart to set up the pump so it is out of the way.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Are there toilets that are electric and manual at the same time?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:Are there toilets that are electric and manual at the same time?
Yes, dual mode marine toilets used to exist... I've now searched for them but haven't been able to find one... I guess they realized the idea was better then the practice....
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nav,

I fear with awe the time when someone will realize, after having successfuly completed number 2, than the electric system has gone sour. I dont even want to think about it.
If there were a dual system available, one could switch to manual; with a solo electric toilet what do you do?
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:I fear with awe the time when someone will realize, after having successfuly completed number 2, than the electric system has gone sour. I dont even want to think about it. If there were a dual system available, one could switch to manual; with a solo electric toilet what do you do?
I would have thought that by now you would have learned... If there's something on your boat that you don't use regularly, by the time you want to use it you won't be able to use it because it has become inoperable due to nonuse...

What will you do if and when it happens?!... I suggest getting a painter's face mask, spraying some after shave on it, donning some rubber gloves, getting a bucket of some sort and get down for a hand job <evil grin>

The other option is getting somebody else to do it... $$$...

I just thought of another option: pay my airfare... I'll do it for free for a friend <evil grin>
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Lol Nav, damn it, I thought you would come up with some hi-tech solution like the ones you dig up from here and there!

Like there is some sort of vacuum tubing or a special mucus or fungus or microorganism that you buy in blisters or tubes and once dropped into the bowl they act better than Ajax, you know, but since you didnt propose anything like that it means it...simply doesnt exist!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

You can go with the Raritan PHII. When you want to use the manual or have an electrical issue all you do is pull the bolt out of the plunger/handle fitting and work the handle.
The par electric head is a little more compact but has no manual but is a macerator where the Raritan is not.

Back in the day I serviced Raritan lectra sans which clogged regularly when the electrode plates would malfunction.

The crap that I've seen.............literally.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Bruce wrote:The crap that I've seen.............literally.
Ha!... You and me both... In my time the Israeli navy had a pretty simple setup for the "thrones"... Basically a big ass (couple of feet long) Venturi pump (run off the 2" @ 150 PSI always pressurized "fire line")... When you open the 1" valve a little bit of water goes to flush the bowl and the remainder goes to the Venturi... As long as it passed through the Venturi's orifice (no pun intended) it would get pulverized and put overboard...

However, when people drop stuff in the bowl that shouldn't be there (ammunition rounds, light sticks, keys, single AAA sized flashlights, pens, grease pencils, pencils etc etc etc) the grease monkeys would be called in to fix the problem... The fix usually entailed opening up the hose from the "throne" to the Venturi...

The ONLY bright light in those ordeals was that we didn't have "co-ed crews"... IOW, no "feminine hygiene" products to deal with...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

So if you eat cherry peeps that cannot be digested, its better to have a macerator or else the normal toilet's blades will break, right? Thanks Bruce I'll look it up, I'm just puzzled why Nav hadnt found it in his search!

Nav, its very entertaining for me to listen to those army stories of yours...Ammunition rounds, lol !
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:I'm just puzzled why Nav hadnt found it in his search!
I'm only human and therefore fallible... I know they existed (a friend had one)... Did a quick search and came up empty handed...
Yannis wrote:Nav, its very entertaining for me to listen to those army stories of yours...Ammunition rounds, lol !
First, it's navy and not army... Yeah, they're both military but different uniforms, different training, different food (one cook and one helper cooking for a crew of about 45 is very different from 2 cooks and 10 helpers cooking for 5-6 hundred people, plus they're crew members which makes a difference), different everything!...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Sorry, double post...
Last edited by Navatech on Jul 27th, '16, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Navy, sorry... So which food is better? The 1+1 for 45 or the 2+10 for 500?
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:Navy, sorry... So which food is better? The 1+1 for 45 or the 2+10 for 500?
No need to be sorry... It's all good... The 1+1 (who are also members of the crew) are MUCH better!... I know, the term "crew" might be meaningless to you... Think "team"... It's like the Musketeers... One for all & all for one... Just as an example, there's a saying in the Israeli navy that officers come and go (as they advance in rank and postings) but the crew is eternal (because it's very rare for a crew member to leave for another duty)... And there must be something to it... As proof I can point out from my reserve duty stints that relatively crappy crews remained relatively crappy even after there wasn't anybody left over from the group that I knew and good crews remained good even after there wasn't anybody left over from the group that I knew... A very reliable sign that you're among a really good crew is when you see that people are very lax about locking up their stuff...
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

I have the Groco model k and rebuilt it myself. It wasn't a hard job. I hear everyone cuss the Groco but mine has always worked. There's a motor that operates the handle but I can take the bolt out and do manually.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

buzzk wrote:I have the Groco model k and rebuilt it myself. It wasn't a hard job. I hear everyone cuss the Groco but mine has always worked. There's a motor that operates the handle but I can take the bolt out and do manually.

Buzz, mine bit the bullet in 2008. The electric side stopped working. The Groco's were pretty much bullet proof. Not sure why they got rid of the electric version.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315