Handheld gps

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Handheld gps

Post by Bruce »

My old Garmin finally died.

Be spending a month later this year around the Rockies and am looking for something with good reception under med cover.
Last one had the side ant and worked pretty good. Some of the trex units I've messed with internal antenna were so so in reception.

Anyone have a usage recommendation?
Capt.Frank

Re: Handheld gps

Post by Capt.Frank »

Bruce I have an old Garmin 12 that still works. I have a Garmin 72 or 76 at work guys liked it., until we switched to laptops, but i have never really used it. It has some maps on them, but screens are small.
I almost bought a Garmin that was like you use in a car but has marine charts also. So I could use it on other boats while hunting or fishing, but plan on putting a 7" on my skiff instead. In heavy timber I have had a lot of problems getting satellites but that was years ago. Newer units might be better.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

Bruce-

You might find this article interesting:

http://www.adventurealan.com/iphone-gps ... ckpacking/

I use mine as a backup chartplotter with the Navionics app and am really happy. Haven't tried the topo option yet.

Cheers!

John
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I use a handheld Garmin so I can simply input the same data from the Garmin on the boat with the chip. I'll try to remember to bring it up some time to show you.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman