Dug Stowe's Alchemy

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Dug Stowe's Alchemy

Post by John F. »

Dug emailed me a lot of pictures, a few of which I couldn't get to load. Sorry, but I didn't try to order them. They're definitely worth scrolling through. She's a looker.

1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Dug

Re: Dug Stowe's Alchemy

Post by Dug »

John, thanks for posting!!! She's getting there!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Looks great Dug. Indoor shops are the best.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

We need a like button.

Looking really sharp Doug. Will not be long now.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Fine work Dug, thanks for sharing.

Two general questions:
A) Why does everyone who refurbishes a 31 would most probably remove the windscreen? Is it so useless, or there is simply no way to make it watertight?
B)At some point along its production life the 31 fly bridge area got wider. While doing so much work around the boat, why don't the older flybridges get to widen up to their newer counterparts' width? Those extra 40 or so cm are not any good, or the process of widening the fb sides is too difficult to materialize? The boat would still look like an original 31 anyway. Thanks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Great job!!!
Dug

Post by Dug »

Thanks guys. Its been a journey, as many of you know!

Yannis, I can give you my perspective on those questions. I chose to remove the windshield because I believed that it would help the structure of the boat be "tighter", and feel just plain stronger, in addition to actually be stronger. Yes, my windows leaked. They were 46 year old, extruded aluminum that had been exposed to a salt environment, so I didn't want the "liability" anymore. I know I will miss the ventilation to a degree, but I still have the bow hatch and I also have AC. So I am hoping that is not as much of an issue. Also, when going for more than a couple hours, I always ended up with "stuff" smushed up under the windshield, and it often got wet, even if it was just raining out, so that will no longer be an issue. Keeping the cabin dryer is important to me, as my other half does not like mold and mildew. So it was essentially a win win all around for the windshield. Primary driver was structure however, and that is why I elected to replace it altogether, vs. just skin it. I felt that though my windows were in good shape, it was a matter of time.
As for widening the flybridge, there is a boat I saw called Bang-a-rang who took off his whole flybridge, cast a mold, widened it, and re-installed. It was epic and really nice. Almost downright spacious. but I cannot imagine what it would cost due to his doing it himself and I don't have the time anymore unfortunately. So I would have to pay to do it. Also on all the boats that Hunter Scott worked on he often installed a new flybridge but it was not as rounded as the original so its clear that while its a B31, its not factory. It looks good, but it does not really resemble factory original. So for me it would have been more than I wanted to tangle with. It is possible however.

Make sense? :)
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanks Dug, one can tell that a younger family member takes up a lllot of your time !!

I was just thinking, in my 28 the windscreen is almost dry,it has this super ventilating lower part, but the point is not whether its dry or wet. It's the boating purpose which is different altogether...
For us, who are almost living aboard during the summer months, docked in island marinas either bow-in or out, the front window is useful to be able to SEE outside; somebody on the dock, the fuel guy, the friend who's coming, the boys waving from the taverna asking for permission to go for an ice cream, etc,etc. Also, while you've left someone on the wheel and you're below preparing munchies, it's good to see where you're going - we cruise mainly very close to rocky land...
As for the fb, here also it's the same. There is nothing down below except for noise. So everyone is up with me, a drink in hand and la vie est belle ! No fishing, rods, lures and all that stuff that keeps you on the main deck.
Totally different ballgame... but like I said, la vie est belle !!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Amazing! I love everything you've done- absolutely awesome.
Max
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Looking good Dug!
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
neil

Post by neil »

Dug ,the gentlemen that Ownes the Bangarang is a dear friend of ours he did everything pretty much by himself he did widen the bridge but in the scheme of things it was no big deal he is a real hands on guy and a dear freind
Dug

Post by Dug »

Yannis, I definitely agree about the flybridge. I have a bench that I fabricated seats three very comfortably or just me and the dog but I have to make a choice between the two scenarios. The dog does not share very well and now that she's full-grown she takes up the majority of the bench. It's able to be walked around however which is great. No climbing over!!! Lol!!!

Neil, I know he's a friend of yours because I spent a solid hour talking with him two years ago. I also know that he did it all himself and really didn't amazing job. My point was that I don't have time to do that at this point in my life right now, and as a result if I had to pay somebody to do it would've been virtually impossible cost wise. Awesome boating beautiful work however!
Dug

Post by Dug »

Pete, recognize the helm pod? :)
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Excellent Dug; you make the Faithful proud!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Very nice Dug!

If you are not re using the side steps, I'd be interested in them.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Dug

Post by Dug »

Thanks guys. Over the years I have done a huge amount on this boat myself. Teak decks, bulkheads and deck supports, wiring, plumbing, chrome, there is not a screw on that boat I have not touched effectively. But I know my limits. I can lay fiberglass really well, but I am more of a rough carpenter vs a cabinet maker. I needed help with this level of work. I have never painted and though I would love to learn, not on my boat first time. Brewer Street Boatworks in Newport have done a fantastic job, and have been a blast to work with. Skip owns Wahine and did Kristy, along with a few others. I think there are 5 plus Berts on his lot right now, of various sizes. His GM Randy has nearly adopted my boat and they really are spectacular to work with. You get what you pay for. Thanks guys for the compliments because it's my vision after many years of looking over so many of these boats. I have collected what I want to do mentally for a long time. She didn't get wet last summer, and though that was not the plan, it's been worth it so far. I am so excited to take the first ride. It will kinda be like the day I bought her. It has definitely been an onion that got bigger as it got peeled. One project led to the next. I knew what I was getting into. I know Alchemy inside out, upside down and every which way. Heck I've owned her for 17 years. And thank you so much to Patrick, and everyone I have had the pleasure of knowing here. Too many to list. Could not have been done without everyone here. Now and in the past. Vic, I hope you approve...

Steve, I am going to use the steps. They are going to be a bitch to get mounted, but we are working a solution. The backing plates will get cut down a bit so they fit through the access holes, and then we will figure out a way to turn a wrench in that tight space. Maybe hire a mini-me with tiny hands...

Can't wait to get shots of her running!
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

In the words of Jed Clampett .... "Right Purdy !!"
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
bertram 20

Post by bertram 20 »

dug the boat looks awesome I love those big rear windows on the bulkhead it is sweet
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Dug

She is looking great well worth giving up a season plus sounds like you were busy enough !
Lots of luck can't wait to see it in the water and some blood on the deck again.

Dan
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Dug wrote:Pete, recognize the helm pod? :)
It has a better home then I will likely ever give her
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Bo Toepfer

Post by Bo Toepfer »

beautiful boat !
Southern Maryland
Keep seeking the treasure!
Dug

Post by Dug »

Thanks Bo. We are aiming to get the bottom wet any day now. We are waiting on someone from the Newport area who shall remain unnamed at this point who is supposed to change the cutlass bearings. Grrr...

Then splash! :) Then the top goes on, canvas gets finished and installed and she goes to Mystic for electronics installation.

Then finally to my slip.

And I will enjoy a cocktail on board. and a smile.

At least that is the plan!
Howesounder

Post by Howesounder »

The work that gets done on some of these boats, (including this one) is beyond workmanship, and to me, becomes art.

Steve
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Alchemy... The alleged science of turning lead into gold is a MOST fitting name for this project...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

Make sure we get to see pics of the end result. I bet she will be a looker.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

Nav,

I think I have owned her for 18 years or so now. I have done lots and lots of work over the years. Teak decks, new power multiple times, etc.

The name I gave her back then has always fit well in fact perfectly in my mind. according to Merriam Websters Dictionary...

Full Definition of alchemy
: a medieval chemical science and speculative philosophy aiming to achieve the transmutation of the base metals into gold, the discovery of a universal cure for disease, and the discovery of a means of indefinitely prolonging life
: a power or process of transforming something common into something special
: an inexplicable or mysterious transmuting
Carl

Post by Carl »

Not to burst a bubble Dug...but from the time the 31 was first splashed 50 odd years ago, it has always been a bit more then average or common.

But yes, it is a fitting name for sure and your project is looking fantastic!
Can't wait to see splash photos.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Carl,

So very true!!! And truth be told I had no idea how much work I would end up doing over the years. I never entered into ownership planning to do this paint and glass work 17-18 years ago. Its been a true journey!!!

Me neither on the splash photo's. Right now we are being held up by a cutlass bearing installer in the Newport area. Not excited...

Dug
Carl

Post by Carl »

Dug---think we spoke about that years ago. The 31 is a boat you can sink some money into and come out with something special that can be used for years. Compare that to spending big bucks on a new ride that more often then not becomes a beater and out of fashion after a decade or so...

Cutless bearing holding you up? Assuming they are waiting a portable press to do with shaft in place.

While nice, one could pull shaft and the strut can be dropped, bearing pressed out/installed in short time.

Or with shaft pulled, back off on the 2 set screws on strut barrel, two careful cuts with sawzall on adjacent ribs of cutless, knock out that section and bearing follows easily.

To install, clean and check bore, install with homemade threaded rod press. A couple 1/2" plates with center hole, washers(to reduce friction), HD threaded rod (7/8-1" is nice) and a pair of nuts. Start install by tapping bearing in with Deadblow hammer, making sure its straight then install your press, crank it in. Dimple bearing, dab of loctite and install set screws...not too tight to distort bearing.
If you have a hollow port a power, it's that much easier.
Slap in shaft, prop and splash.
Just remember, no petroleum products by rubber bearing.

Cutless press in easier no doubt. But provided shafts remove easy, which they should as I'm sure you had coupling fitted properly the job takes maybe 2-3 hours for the pair from time of removing Cotter pin on shaft to installing cotter pin.

Just a thought as I'd be too anxious to wait after all this time.