Cummings 6BT 270 HP-Hours? Volvo KA MD 230 HP

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John Nardi

Cummings 6BT 270 HP-Hours? Volvo KA MD 230 HP

Post by John Nardi »

Hi guys...What is considered to be a lot of hours on these Cummings 270's, or as usual, it varies depending on how they were run and maintained? Also, does Bruce or anyone have any comments on a pair of Volvo KA MD 230 HP with gears and very low hours that I can grab for 15K?? Thanks, John
Tony Meola

Re: Cummings 6BT 270 HP-Hours? Volvo KA MD 230 HP

Post by Tony Meola »

John

If I had the choice go Cummins. Volvo parts are not cheap. Daddy to get Cummins parts through truck dealers. I get my filters off of a highway truck dealer who is a Cummins dealer.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
scot

Post by scot »

What is considered to be a lot of hours on these Cummings 270's
There is no formula for hours and engine life. The 270hp is approximately .75hp per cu inch, which by modern diesel standards is not really considered a high output diesel (that's a good thing). The 6BTA has a great reputation and at 270hp a good potential for a really long life...more than 10,000 hrs. BUT in marine service the key to life is the prop and load. If the engine (boat) was "over propped", meaning too much pitch and unable to achieve it's rated rpms under load then the life could be cut in half or worse. Of course maintenance is important, but the best indicator of longevity is the combination of hull, gear, and prop set up that allows the engine to live nicely under a light load. The lighter the load on the engine, the longer they last. Little consolation and a real dilemma when looking at used engines on line that are sitting in a warehouse.

Boat owners are always looking for that extra knot, so over propping is not uncommon. A couple of extra knots at cruise speed is a temptation many cannot resist. :-)
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

John Nardi wrote:Hi guys...What is considered to be a lot of hours on these Cummings 270's, or as usual, it varies depending on how they were run and maintained? Also, does Bruce or anyone have any comments on a pair of Volvo KA MD 230 HP with gears and very low hours that I can grab for 15K?? Thanks, John

I owned a pair of Volvo TAMD 60Bs in my 31 -- I'd highly recommend buying Cummins -- for the price Volvo charges for parts, at least two 6' tall Swedish goddesses should have delivered them and stayed. Plus Volvo has some crazy ideas on the cooling systems -- like using copper and steel and bronze all in the same bundle - nah, saltwater won't care.

Tom
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

I have had both. Volvo KAMD in my last boat and cummins 270hp in my current B31. The cummins 270hp blows the Volvo away. Parts are a 3rd of the cost and maintanice is easy. The Swedish engineering on the Volvos is something to be desired and once you get up in hours the maintanice becomes 10 fold. What you'll spend finding a good pair of cummins you'll spend in parts alone over the years on a Volvo. That's if the Volvo stays running. Cummins parts are easy to get also. Almost any fleet shop can order the marine parts and have them by the afternoon. At least that is my experience. Joe.

Just a FYI I paid just under 30,000 for twin 270s with gears and props with very low hours.
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

Thanks much for the feedback!!
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

John,
I have a set of KAMD 42s in my B28..... Factory installed.....like said above, parts are expensive and due, I think, to their high RPM and pulling every bit of HP they can out of them......everything has to be in top condition to work correctly.

Clean turbos, heat exchangers, belts adjusted properly and clean v grooves etc......or something is going to lag or overheat.....a little bit of growth on the bottom dogs them out.
If your still stuck on Volvos I'll sell you mine for 10k....comes with 2 extra HS1 gears...;))....

Still love my boat for howdy boating and bar hopping....... At least until I get my 31 back in the water.

Ray
1971 Sportfish 314 49 1103
1994 B28 BERF2720L394
scot

Post by scot »

Sorry for not voting, Cummins hands down. :-)
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0