Opening My Mouth and Removing All Doubt

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Stephan

Opening My Mouth and Removing All Doubt

Post by Stephan »

Gentlemen-
Last summer I installed a simple NMEA 2000 network connecting the VHF, GPS/Sounder and fuel flow sensors.
I've been delighted with the results and am emboldened to go further.
The next step, I think, is a NMEA 2000 analog interface to include engine gauge data on the network. I am partially taking this on as the gauges are tired and the helm needs a rot-ectomy. I plan to eliminate the gauges. I see this as an opportunity to reduce the wiring running to the helm and clean it up significantly.
The engines (1992 Crusader 454s) have character and after 4 seasons together, healthy oil analyses and a little TLC, they are good mills and good for me. I am under the impression that we are in sync and I have a sense of the rumbles, smells and sounds independent of where a needle on a gauge is pointing.
I ask for your perspective. I have and always will respect your advice. On this one though I want to try this and hope the tuition I pay isn’t too awful. This thread can be the record of my folly (or victory) and has all the room of cyberspace’s back 40 for warning, caution and I told you so.
I think I can….

Possunt quia posse videntur
Rawleigh

Re: Opening My Mouth and Removing All Doubt

Post by Rawleigh »

We are always glad to have a guineas pig to go first!!! LOL!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I would not know where to start on that. Sounds challenging for sure. Keep us posted.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Stephen-

If it were me, I would run redundant systems. You can have a great feel for you engines, but your ear will not be able to detect subtle changes in temp or oil pressure. Example .....raw water heat exchanger starts to plug up...subtle temp rise indicates somthing is not right, but not enough change to trip the alarms. Rendundancy is never a bad thing. On shear water, I had mechanicl temp guages on each engine in addition to the std guages on the dash. These were great to confirm or reject readings i saw on the dash.

My 2 cents.

Br
Giff
Giff
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

You already know that you will need an interface box to convert the analog data to nema 2000. There are a number of manufacturers of these and do your research and check reviews of actual users.

Like most nema 2000 stuff it's pretty easy to setup these days.

Gif has a good point. At the very minumum have gages in the engine room of at least oil pressure and water temp along with alarms for both.

You can also hide redundant gauges on a pull out panel on the bridge of the same if you want to use a digital screen in the helm center for nav and engine functions.

Here are a couple of pics from Zero Cavity on the engine digital display and a side view of the display center location on Pats custom console. Zero cavity had a pull down door with hidden switches and such to keep the helm clean and clutter free.

The last pic is of some engine mounted gages on Buddy Boy. Even though the bridge had standard guages, these manual ones are good backups and allow monitoring while service is being performed.

Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

In aircraft we used to call them peanut gauges. Small 1" analog/mechanical gauges located down in a corner of the panel to back up the electronic gauges (now glass panels).
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31