Instant Fairing??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Instant Fairing??

Post by John F. »

I built out my interior this summer out of marine and exterior ply. I then took it apart and have all the pieces in the garage. My next project is to finish the interior pieces and put the interior back together. My plan is to first coat all the ply pieces in epoxy (2 thinned, 2 full strength coats), then sand. I'd either then cover all the pieces that will show with a layer of cloth, fair, and paint, or try "instant fairing."

So, from what I can tell, after sealing with epoxy and sanding, I'd put on a thin coat of thickened epoxy and lay the laminate on. I've tried to use contact cement before, and I had a bond failure, so I'm sticking with epoxy. But, I have a few questions of anybody can help.

Does it matter how thick the composite (Wilsonart/Formica) is? It looks like it comes in different thicknesses.
I'm guessing I need to sand the backside of the composite to get it to bond better. Right?
I'm guessing that I should set it up so that I lay the composite on the garage floor, good side down, put epoxy on the side facing up, and then lay the plywood on the composite, and put some cement blocks on the ply to get it all to flattened down. Does that sound right?
How do I get an even layer of epoxy on the composite. Do I trowel the epoxy on? How thick?

Any hints/helpful tips, whatever, would be appreciated.

Thanks-

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Instant Fairing??

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

Laminate comes thick and thin. I prefer thick because of the added rigidity and strength. Thin follows irregularities in the sub straight and cracks too easily...

Here's my way:

Sand the plywood and remove all dust. Roll on a coat un-thickened catalyzed epoxy on both the ply and the laminate, (no need to sand the back side of the laminate).

Lay the plywood on a flat surface and, using a fine notched trowel, trowel on thickened epoxy. Use Cab-O-Sil as the thickening agent, mixing to the consistency of mayonnaise.

Lay on the laminate and lightly roll it down with a dry paint roller. Clean up any squeeze out and weigh down with cement blocks, sand bags, old batteries, or the like.

Allow to fully cure and trim...

For a full pictorial of this bulkhead, see: http://bertram31.com/hancock/img/bulkhead/
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
John F.

Re: Instant Fairing??

Post by John F. »

Capt. Patrick-

I think I get it. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks-

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J