News from Bertram

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Re: News from Bertram

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I did say "half mil" in a prior post, so I'm taking the over. Add in a teak deck and combing for me Mr Fallon.

In any case that fiberglass work and paint job I've been saving my pennies for on my ole gasser sure seems like a bargain now, just don't tell Rob.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Pricing is in the 600k with genset to start. If sales increase so will price. Power is cat 7 liter to start then 7.1 but they aren't available yet. 450hp. Solid laid up hull no coring, although it was discussed more to come
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
If I ever get this knee straightened out I might buy just one, but I am a purest no prop pockets for me. Enjoy the Bertram party, it was 75 degrees in the Boston area this afternoon.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

C'mon you guys, any pics for us 10k miles away?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Capt Patrick disregard my email for memory loss on my login info took a high dose of krill oil and figured it out
Sorry I missed u guys last night. I sat in the Bertram tent today for A while. got really excited about the new deal. Thomaston Me for the build.??? seriously sounds pretty high tech construction and design hope it's good as it sounds and looks. He said C7 power to start around 450 horse hoping for around a mile a gallon cruise
Mitch
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

There are few pics on Facebook on the Bertram page. With some specs
jrhaszard

Post by jrhaszard »

Six Hundred Ninety Five Thousand
BERG1847M80F
Tom Curran

Post by Tom Curran »

Thats just silly money
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I thought it would be cool to have a newer boat if the price was reasonable. Reality is that a reasonable priced boat is way more than I could ever think about spending. I will have my POS for a long time but it gets the job done and still gets compliments.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bruce & Capt Pat,
How was the show? any earth shattering news from the New Bertram people, did they settle on a price for the new 35?. How many of the faithful showed up at the show?
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on the demographic that is going to buy these...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Pete,
Couple of posts back has pricing info. The thread about pictures has more detailed info about the 35 and Bertram.

My Other East, Nav, Gerry Santiago, Richard Mastry, John Hazzard, Bertramp were there.

As far as a demographic Tommy was sorta saying they are paying just as much for a 36' center console with triple outboards which is the market I think they are trying to hit. Not sure If I agree those center consoles are selling for that much.

I think they are trying to capitalize on a narrow market and exploit(in a good way) the Bertram name and legend to sell them. If there's one thing I,ve learned in the car game, people will pay stupid money for something they thing is exclusive and rare, value being there or not. God bless em. They keep my pay check coming.
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Here's a video about the new boat... Based on Bruce's description, my guess is this what they showed last week: https://youtu.be/CrijC2t_Yo4
Max
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Yes that is what they showed.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Wow that looks like a lot of preselling. Somewhere along the line I thought we were going to get a peek at a real boat at FLIWBS.
I remain curious about their understanding of the brand. The unstained part of the legacy is the 31 - but that has been out of the corporate types hands for several decades and in the care of the faithful. If they haven't figured that out and have used all that footage of Capt. Pat's work without sending him a consulting agreement and a check then thy're not as smart as... well as they need to be.
So here's my two cents...
Their non-center console competitors (Hunt, Hinckley, etc. in my Northeast skewed view of the world) are selling boats to fulfill an aspiration to a life experience or boating lifestyle. The boats are optimized to the buyer's comfort and a luxury aesthetic. They are very fine boats but they know the customer's motives and expectations for use better then the customer knows (or admits). Part of the sales pitch of these competitors is the support network of yards that make the experience turn-key. The maintenance aspect increases the buyer pool and makes each sale a recurring revenue unit.
Now comes another New Bertram looking to build on the 31 legacy.
I have experienced the 31 legacy to be the shared values of the faithful. Integrity. Respect. Independence. Community. It's a bottom-up thing. What brand has successfully associated a web forum where the members contribute honestly and without anonymous snarky abusive BS. Damn few. My assessment of the 31 legacy is a group who wanted and recognize a boat optimized to be a boat.
I'm hoping the New Bertram folks can have the courage to resist solving for a cruise speed/air conditioned/cocktail capacity equation and just build the best boat they can.
But what the hell do I know? I literally got here by accident and y'all just haven't shown me the door yet..
/rant>
S

By the way, I find myself celebrating what looks like a bow chock in the drawings and raising an eye brow at the hull core plan in the movie...
Possunt quia posse videntur
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Great shots of Buddy Boy.

How does the pricing compare to a 35 Carolina , 35 Cabo, and 37 Billfisherman Ocean?
John F.

Post by John F. »

Buddy Boy looks amazing. Captain Patrick, you should be bursting with pride. Your build is the advertisement for the relaunch of Bertram. How cool is that.

Yeah, I really liked the video
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Well done Capt Pat a true testament to you n Bruce..time is a pure test for a builder. You listening Bertram. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Craig Mac wrote:Great shots of Buddy Boy.

How does the pricing compare to a 35 Carolina , 35 Cabo, and 37 Billfisherman Ocean?
Craig,

Interesting question to ask.

The 35 Carolina Classic was about 500k new, they were bought by Albemarle and I do not believe they are currently in production

Cabo was bought by Hatteras and they are no longer being produced either.

I'm not sure how many 37 Ocean Billfish have been made but they are priced in the same ballpark as the new bertram. As is the new 35 Whaler and Everglades center consoles.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

pete for you i could build one for 300.000 from a $19,000 35' Bertram for sale in VA. guarantee to do 40 knots with same interior.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

bob lico wrote:pete for you i could build one for 300.000 from a $19,000 35' Bertram for sale in VA. guarantee to do 40 knots with same interior.
Way out of my league Bob, but thanks for the offer ;) ...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Pete

Not sure if Ocean has stepped up there game or not, but $500,000 for an Ocean is $500,000 too much. I know some one who used to do some warranty work on their engines and Gen sets. He told me some stories that would make you think twice before you went offshore in one.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony I've heard similar stories but really nothing on the 37. But I was really only replying to Craig's post.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

I was just saying, Ocean have been over rated. Two boats one well built for $600,000, one so so for $500,000. The $500,000 sells every day.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tony Meola wrote:Peter

I was just saying, Ocean have been over rated. Two boats one well built for $600,000, one so so for $500,000. The $500,000 sells every day.
I'm not sure you're right... Yes, a huge number of chumps WILL go for the cheaper boat... But there's a large number of people who'll go for the slightly more expensive... Especially if there's a brand involved...
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I'm sitting here thinking the $500,000 really costs $600,000 and the $600,000 might cost $750,000. Fortunately my limited intelligence and good fortune in all things other than checking account balances protect me from struggling too much with these conundrums..
Best,
S

Anybody else notice how Hunt's name isn't within 1,000 miles of this marketing?
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Stephan wrote:
Anybody else notice how Hunt's name isn't within 1,000 miles of this marketing?
Yeah, but I looked up the architect that is now on it and he seems to have some fairly decent credentials
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Yeah, but I looked up the architect that is now on it and he seems to have some fairly decent credentials
I agree Peters is a very bright and accomplished guy. My interest was in the competition with Hunt and making sure to give credit to Bertram for the design and not Hunt. I believe Hunt made a reputation for himself in the '70s and later litigating against any design with a deep-v element. I'm also under the impression that Bain or another financial type now owns Hunt.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Does anybody remember this boat--BROADBILL 36 designed by Raymond Hunt--I think I saw one ---pretty sure it had a low profile with motor boxes....

https://books.google.com/books?id=2Lwqc ... nt&f=false
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

Cool to look at the old 1973 motor boating magazine, I love the ad about 6 pages up, tag line is "Bayliner...If you can find a better boat, buy it!", Ha, now that is funny.
Scott Traenkle
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

How many of those manufacturers with adds or articles still exist. Mieco, I remember them, our friend had one of their A's on his 31.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Bertram boats on pages 101-102 -110-180.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

Would be interesting to see some pic's and/or video of a finely restored wide-body 35.
Then comparing them to this newly proposed 35, hull to hull, machinery, cabin layout, fittings, to the final trim.
More like apples to apples. No?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Dug

Post by Dug »

Captain Patrick, as I watch the video I see what look like steps on the following edges of the pilasters. Are those in fact steps?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Dug,

I believe so, but they weren't added by me...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Dug

Post by Dug »

Gotcha.

Interesting idea. I have the side steps on the pilasters, so I don't really need to worry, but they did stick out to me after watching the first time.

:)

Hope you are well my friend!

Dug