AIS transponders

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

gplume

AIS transponders

Post by gplume »

Looking to buy an AIS transponder to couple to my chartplotter. Any recomendations? Any opions on the SiTex brand that looks pretty reasonably priced.

Br
Giff
Giff
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: AIS transponders

Post by mike ohlstein »

I have this one:

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/icom-ma- ... HwodPWQMXQ

It works well, and interfaces with my ICOM radio and my Northstar plotter. So if I'm just running around locally and don't hook up the plotter, the GPS in the AIS tells the ICOM radio emergency beacon where it is (if I hit the red 16 button), and if I run the plotter it will display AIS vessels right on the chart with course and speed.

The AIS requires a GPS antenna and an FM antenna (plain steel whip).
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Gif new ride has the Furuno AIS awesome shows track and CPA closet point of arrival lets you know who is out there( if they have one)BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
MikeD@Lightningshack

Post by MikeD@Lightningshack »

I bought a Milltech unit. At the time... 2 years ago this seemed like the best value on the market. Worked great for me, I connected to my Navent Vx2 units and had no complaints. Several new AIS unit from popular OEMs did the same stuff for twice the price.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

By the way, if you don't think that you need to transmit your position, you can save a lot of money by just buying a receiver. The receiver isn't a GPS and has no transmitter. It just receives other ships info and will display it on your plotter.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Further to mike ohlstein's point, if you have only an AIS receiver there are no licensing issues... If you go for a transponder (receiver & transmitter) there's a licensing requirement... It's not a biggie but it's one more thing to tackle...
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Not so much a license as it is a registration. Really no big deal.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315