Weather in Texas

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Weather in Texas

Post by Dug »

I've been watching all the weather reports of serious rain in various places in Texas. Captain Pat, you doin' ok?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Weather in Texas

Post by CaptPatrick »

Yeah, Dug, everything is pretty much OK here. Back and side yard is a marsh and the driveway is getting rutted out in a couple of areas, but nothing major around here.

Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin and surrounding areas have gotten clobbered. Lot of flash flooding, some strong enough to sweep houses off their foundations.

We had some of this, not as bad though, back in 2007, which the last strong El Niño year. This El Niño is forecast to last at least through till fall, but maybe through out the whole year. Good news for the Atlantic hurricane season though... El Niño usually shears the top off of the hurricanes.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Dug

Post by Dug »

I am glad you are not in need of an ark. That being said I presume your cistern is getting filled! And that is good!

Dug
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Completely full, all 10,000 gallons...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
scot

Post by scot »

Got our quota this morning.. been coming down for several hours, yard was already saturated and now 50% under. Worst part down here is the crawfish mounds will be popping up EVERYWERE, little turds can really screw up a yard. But we have it easy compared to the rest of the state. I'm a bit nervous about the Sabine & Trinity rivers. The water shed from those rivers is going to do a bunch of damage in SE Texas (my area). As long as Toledo Bend damn holds I'm fine. If it goes my 25 is going to get an early launch with me, the wife and half a dozen of the neighbors in it :-0 CNN would love seeing that.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Dug

Post by Dug »

Scot! Yikes! At least you have a boat then, right? Maybe put the hull plug in just in case?

Patrick, good to hear.

Good luck to all of you on this. It looks pretty crazy in some places.

Now, after the record breaking winter snowfall we all enjoyed up here in NE, we have had less than an inch all May, and nothing significant in April either. Its pretty wild. High 80's yesterday, today and for the week I think, and the lawns are all burning out. And its May still!!!!

Dug
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Glad to hear your doing ok Capt Pat, that story of the family washed away in the river home was horrible. Big water is a powerful force we all know that about the ocean but those rains sure can pack a punch. I heard it rose 25 feet or better in an hour? Stay safe Scot.BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
scot

Post by scot »

I'm not sweating Toledo Bend damn busting lol, it's been there for 45 years and holds back a 70 mile long reservoir. But it's always been one of the local "what if" discussions! If that damn broke it would make Katrina look like a spring shower hahaha. No worries, it wasn't built by state politicians on the take... Feds build it :-0 (maybe worse!)
Maybe put the hull plug in just in case?
currently, the hull plug would be a big fat wooden plug and a 5 lb maul.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Tom

Post by Tom »

With lots of bad comes a bunch of good. The drought has been terrible for much of the state. These events have gone a long way to replenishing the devastated lake levels and aquifers. A friend had his house under a bunch of water down the street from me. It got up to our door but just put bayou water in the pool. I'm hoping there a snapper in there for some turtle meat. Going to be a few days before it clears to tell. White people problems.
Viva la Presidente!