Batteries, batteries, batteries....

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

Batteries, batteries, batteries....

Post by IRGuy »

As part of my spring commissioning I find myself wandering aimlessly from auto parts store to auto parts store trying to get a good handle on which batteries I should buy for my house bank.

I have space for six Group 24 batteries in my custom made battery boxes. I have 3 banks, one bank for starting each engine and one for house power and generator starting. Each bank has two standard wet cell Group 24s. The house batteries are deep cycle, and the engine batteries are specified for starting.

Over the past winter I had all three banks on the boat's three bank charger.. the two engine starting banks are fine, but for some reason the house bank is flat dead and won't hold any charge, even when I tried to recharge it with another charger. While I am not sure, I think there was a poor or possibly an open connection between the charger and the house bank, resulting in no charge to these batteries.

So.. I am looking for two deep cycle batteries. The people I find working in auto parts stores are near useless. Each store has their own private label, but nobody knows who actually makes the batteries they sell. I know East Penn makes West Marine’s batteries, and probably other private labels as well, along with their own private label Deka. I have a high regard for East Penn’s products, mostly because of the advice of knowledgeable friends.

So, gentlemen.. who is happy with what manufacturer’s batteries these days. Have any of you done to AGMs, in spite of their cost? Are you using garden variety wet cells as I am? Your opinions and comments will be appreciated, as usual.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
bob lico

Re: Batteries, batteries, batteries....

Post by bob lico »

been a terrible week starting with my hunting brother and fellow patriot captain Don albow ,special forces ,NAM,four tours died a painful death from agent orange . i did my very best to sell his gun collection for $200,000 and give proceeds to wife.now let me help my good friend with batteries. i had the "opportunity to see inside navy seal boats" there batteries cannot fail!!!!!!!! or they die usually torture beforehand. they use ONLY AGM ODASSEY batteries.trust me and your not going to GOOGLE this info.one for port one for starboard,isolated and two for house odyssey # 2150 use studs and lugs no car battery rings.mine were installed 2005 and i just splash the phoenix and battery voltage gauge reads 13.2,13.2 and house 13 after 10 years.use easily made pvc battery boxes with lids and rabbited joints glue and screws with ss square drive 3" long.
Last edited by bob lico on May 25th, '15, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

installed on centerline of keel for lowest center of gravity and balance.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

bob lico wrote:been a terrible week starting with my hunting brother and fellow patriot captain Don albow ,special forces ,NAM,four tours died a painful death from agent orange.
My condolences... My own US friend and partner is a Vietnam vet (Huey door gunner) is fighting his battle on that front... Successfully for now at least...
bob lico wrote:they use ONLY AGM ODASSEY batteries
I think you meant ODYSSEY batteries... As in http://www.odysseybatteries.com/marine.htm
bob lico wrote:mine were installed 2005 and i just splash the phoenix and battery voltage gauge reads 13.2,13.2 and house 13 after 10 years.
That's certainly a very impressive endorsement... And it supports Odyssey's claim of triple the life of other batteries... And then some!...
bob lico wrote:use easily made pvc battery boxes with lids
I can understand lids (or other top side cover)... Safety as in prevention of a dropped tool shorting the battery but, and quite possibly this is a silly question, what's the purpose of the battery box?!... The original (i.e. as bought) setup was double trays (about 2-1/2" high) and wooden covers... The trays were broken and useless...

I tried to find a box or tray to suit my batteries but nobody makes them in that size (Deka 8V195, group 981, LWH: 20-3/4" x 7-1/4" x 10-5/8") so I decided to do without... Just the wooden covers... Until I can find or make a set of trays... Should I reconsider that?!...
yardpro

Post by yardpro »

find a local interstate.

they can get you exacty what youneed.
they can also check your batteries.
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

I 100% agree. Odessey's are the best there is. We use Odessey's exclusively in our fire apparatuses. They rarely fail. I have used them in my last two boats with no issues. Joe
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
Kevind767
Standing Member

Post by Kevind767 »

I like the Oddessey batteries, but I have 2 of them now that do not hold a charge and I cannot figure out how to fix them.
Have had them for about 7 years now.

Would like not to throw them away. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

I agree with Bob, great batteries just don't discharge them too low or you have trouble getting them back. Kevin that is what happened to yours. To bring them back you need a very heavy duty charger to bring them above 12.6 then you can top them off. I have one that did that and have yet to find a charger to save it.BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bob h i should have mention the fact that my batteries are under a charger 24/7 365 days a year .i keep electric to the boat at all times for charger,coffee pot,micro,and electric heater during winter.yes when a AGM battery becomes totally discharged below 12 volts you really cannot bring it back.the FEDS use 50 of these in a cabinet for Uninterrupted power source system that backs up secret data in computer room .just has to supply power for 30 seconds till generator is up to speed ,parameters and then transfers power in.
the AZAK battery box is essential to safety .box keeps batteries together (with air space) so they cannot fall,shift or twist and snap stud on battery post when falling off 10' wave (not by choice).
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

bob lico wrote:box keeps batteries together (with air space) so they cannot fall,shift or twist and snap stud on battery post when falling off
Can't the same be achieved with straps holding down the batteries?!...
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

As far as keeping batteries in place, any box, straps or other mechanical stuff will do that, but ABYC standards say the batteries must be installed so their terminals aren't exposed to having a errant conductor short the terminals. Have you ever dropped a wrench on top of a battery? Very interesting! So you need something to protect the terminals from accidental contact, hence the box with a fitted top.

This brings me to one of my favorite safety warnings.

A guy was working on his boat and was using a can of WD-40, which he dropped onto the top of one of his batteries. The high shorting current immediately blew a hole in the can, which released all the flammable material in the can into the spark filled air. You can imagine the rest. Not something any of us want to experience.

The next time you are holding a can of WD-40 around your engines you will remember this warning and think of me.

I guarantee it!
Frank B
--------------
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Sears platinum agm... Made by oddessey
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

IRGuy wrote:As far as keeping batteries in place, any box, straps or other mechanical stuff will do that, but ABYC standards say the batteries must be installed so their terminals aren't exposed to having a errant conductor short the terminals. Have you ever dropped a wrench on top of a battery? Very interesting! So you need something to protect the terminals from accidental contact, hence the box with a fitted top.
You must have missed where I:
  1. Alluded to this exact same issue...
  2. Where I pointed out that I would be using top covers (with longish "skirts" - think up side down trays)
IRGuy wrote:The next time you are holding a can of WD-40 around your engines you will remember this warning and think of me.
Not a problem on the B-46... The batteries are under the cockpit deck in a separate compartment... Separated from the engines by 2 bulkheads and a diesel tank...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Whaler1777 wrote:Sears platinum agm... Made by oddessey
Interesting... I wonder how specs and prices compare...
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Look for coupon codes. Specs are identical... I paid 200ish for each of my 4 grp31's
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Having worked part time at a NAPA. I have been told the manufacture of the batteries changes per you location. Shipping is expensive for batteries. There is only X people making batteries in the US. So the closest plant will make the batteries per there spec's and put whoevers label on them. NAPA here in NE NC were Exide for years and now Deka (East Penn). I go threw batteries every 5-6 years, next 8D to fail will be replaced with on group 31. Odyssey batteries are great batteries I just cant justify the $$.
Good luck Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Kevind767
Standing Member

Post by Kevind767 »

Thanks Bob,

I think that's what happened to those batteries.
I had to change out my battery charger as it fried, and that is when lost those 2 batteries.

Just a shame to throw them away.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Kevind767 wrote:I had to change out my battery charger as it fried, and that is when lost those 2 batteries.
Charging issues kill more batteries then actual usage...
Kevind767 wrote:Just a shame to throw them away.
Don't throw them away... You'll need cores when you get new ones or you'll be charged an additional amount...
Kevind767
Standing Member

Post by Kevind767 »

Thank you Navatech.

I did not mean to be so literal.
Was trying to find a way to save them, and not throw them away.

Did not intend to be flippant with my remarks
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I used the Sears Marine battery that John spoke of for my house. It was good to me for exactly 3 years and 8 months. 8 months past the warrantee with no pro-rate. I just replaced it a couple months ago with a plane jane marine battery from Advance auto.
The sears battery was about 260 when I bought it. As of a few months ago the same battery was over 300 dollars so I did not bother with it.
I only use one battery for the house and I torture it. I now just expect to replace them every three years or so and I can live with it for 90-100 dollars.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

In march i replaced batteries for a friend on his 50 grand banks with a date code of 2004.
They were gell sonnnenschein. While at 5 bills a piece, prorated over 11 years not bad. I always got good life out of these and prevailer. I use these with my solar panels.

Deka were, and may still be good batteries. But much has changed in battery manufacturing due to epa rules. Used to get good life out of exide, interstate, sears and other brands. Quality across the board pretty much sucks even though price has gone up.

BTW as a former dealer for oddessey batteries after 3 years of fighting 1/4 of sales returns on failure to accept a charge, I gave them up.

Most all the custom cars going out of the shop are using optima agm batteries.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I have Interstate 31's lead acid. Been in the boat since 2009. Still take a full charge. Every winter when I pull them out of the boat I bring them up to full charge then put them on a Battery maintainer for the winter. So far so good.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

Whaler1777 wrote:Sears platinum agm... Made by oddessey
I'm using these too.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

AGM batteries need a special charger right?!...
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Navatec...

Each type of battery needs slightly different charging characteristics, but most of today's "smart" chargers are programmed so you can select the battery type you are charging and they automatically output the proper voltage and amperage for the proper amount of time, so technically you don't need a separate charger, but you do need to select the correct charging profile if you have a reasonably new charger.
Frank B
--------------
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Well, my battery problems are solved, at least for the time being.

I went to the retailer where I bought all my batteries (and a lot of other stuff), and after a "serious" heart to heart talk they agreed to replace my two dead batteries for a reasonable charge.

Thanks to all of you who answered my questions! Once again, this site shows what a great bunch of guys are here to help each other!
Frank B
--------------
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Guys, 10 o'clock inthe morning I have almost 14 volts, I have ice cubes made, I have all I want except for A/C.

1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Now that is pretty cool. Hopefully they hold up in the Salt Environment.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

I wanted to make a point on the battery charging method. I have 4 X 100 Amp batteries, marine batteries presumably. Three are connected to the solar panels and one is just starting the port engine so that if something goes wrong at least you can start one engine and then the other. The point is, that these 3 batteries are being charged 24/7/365 and with the constant draw from the refrigerator, which I leave on in the winter, there is a constant flow of electricity - in and out - that prolongs battery life.

As for how the panels take the salty environment, it remains to be seen. The whole project was a test, as all info was derived by this site, the panel supplier company and a few rumors here and there.

And you know what? If they don't last for 20 years, they'll last for as long as they'll last and then I'll replace them. They cost around €120 each and by the time they will fail me they'll cost even cheaper. It is amazing, though, the freedom they give you ! No need for gennies, pier cables and the hassle to have to plug-in somewhere.

The only other boats with panels I've seen, are sail boats with flexible panels (much more expensive and much less powerful) that help battery juice replenishment but you can't say that they suffice for all electrical loads like mine do. I have a good friend who owns a similar boat and will install panels too. He spent some time on my boat last summer and liked the hassle free electricity supply, the freedom it provides etc.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"