West Aussie B20 floor and hull reno

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Matt Shackleton

West Aussie B20 floor and hull reno

Post by Matt Shackleton »

Just started the floor and hull reno. project on my 1966 B20 CC (ex Bahia Mar). The hull cracked along the port girder on the way back from Rottnest last weekend. It will be interesting to see what lies beneath the floor.
ImageImage
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: West Aussie B20 floor and hull reno

Post by CaptPatrick »

Matt,

What you've called a girder is a lifting strake... They were laid up with the rest of the hull in the 2 piece mold but after several layers of fiberglass, were bridged over to finish the rest of the hull. This means two things; the fiberglass thickness is very much thinner than the rest of the hull and that they are hollow. This is a common damage type and area. There's another discussion going on right now about this problem with Yannis' B28: http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11576

Again, welcome aboard!

Best regards,

Patrick
Matt Shackleton

Post by Matt Shackleton »

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly Patrick. I'm kind of flying a bit blind with this, so your advice/insight v.much appreciated. The boat took on perilous amounts of water (hail the volunteers at Fremantle Sea Rescue who towed me back in) which suggests that the hull AND the strake are cracked? The two 'deck draining/holding tanks' that run under the floor and that drain through bungs into the bilge were overflowing, and the bilge pump couldn't keep up. I'm also assuming the two holding tanks are connected, as when I stopped the overflow from one, it increased the overflow from the other.
I'm following Yannis' thread closely now too.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe