opinions on prop. installation.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

opinions on prop. installation.

Post by bob lico »

i had a hell of a job removing props. this year. they have been on the boat for three seasons since i detune the boat.reduced wot. by three knots to improve fuel economy,wot. now down to 33.5 knots.same fuel economy as small outboards on CC and we fuel at commercial fuel dock to keep operating coat down low.anyways i was thinking of Tuf-gel on shafts before installing props.?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: opinions on prop. installation.

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bob,

Tuf-Gel would certainly help... did you lap the wheels to the shafts when initially installed? If not, do so this time.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

never seize, ???
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Bob, I agree with Capt. Pat, I lapped my props before putting them on yet this year they were tough to get off, they put the puller on them wouldn't budge then walked to shop to get a torch to persuade them to pop and just as we lit the torch they let go. I have to take my props off every year to haul her over the road, last year they came off no sweat. Charlie I heard that never seize has metal in it and should be used sparingly in the marine world could be a wives tale. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I heard that never seize has metal in it and should be used sparingly in the marine world could be a wives tale. BH
Not an old wives' tell... While probably not all brands of anti-seize have metal, the ones that do, use copper, so now we dealing also with dis-similar metals...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

perfect fit by anal job of hand lapping with valve grinding compound makes for a perfect fit--------However removing props on perfect prop to shaft fit becomes 10 times the job as just throw the props on fit and it scares the hell out of me when prop puller start bending and then i resort to Prop- Knocker.wow you know that cannot be a good solution hitting the prop -knocker with 10 lbs sledge----whats happening in the output bearing of gears!!!!!! i used just a spray of CX but obviously that no good.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Carl turned me on Walters Prop puller.

http://www.waltergear.com/propp.htm

Getting it on some times I wish I had 3 hands, but due to the way it presses the prop off, the puller does not bend and it will exert a lot of pressure.

the other thing I found is, set it up, put the pressure on and if it does not pop, move on to another job while leaving the puller in place. Amazing how all of sudden you hear that sweet Pinging sound about 30 mninutes later.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

As Bob said, the better the taper fit, the harder it is to break free. It's hard to believe, but that key is not transmitting the torque from shaft to wheel, its the taper.

A thinner hub will have hub stretch a bit and lock up even tighter.

I'm sure you did, but did you fit and mark how far wheel fit up without key, mark shaft, remove wheel, insert key and install wheel making sure it went up to same exact spot easily...sometimes key rides up the sled of shaft and jams...sometimes key does not have proper chamfer to match shaft and wheel...so it sits high and you deform hub as you torque wheel down. Those wheels are miserable to remove.

I like a good prop puller, like Walters...even with those I have had to "tap" wheel or use propane and warm hub before she'd pop. Underwater I make sure to use the largest size to really persuade wheels as it is difficult to swing a hammer or light propane torch.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

carl due too the extreme abused these props. take in huge waves idle to wot. then back to idle going over the crest of waves then riding trough till a break between waves then wot. to go over or between waves produces tremendous pressure on props.so i take my time when installing props. i hand lap key into keyway so there is no bind, the end of keyway has large spoon meticulously ground into it ,also sanded down to 600 grade wet sand paper.the current props,have large hubs because they are actually 22" diameter cut down to 21" diameter in order to rake prop . getting Nibral castings from Ron Ellis propellers is like pulling teeth!!!!!!so god forbid damage them i would be out a season so i have incomplete spares . i am very satisfied with these props but removing them is near impossible with yard prop puller i will look into Tony`s suggestion.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Bob:

I have heard of a crazy thing a marina yard contractor does down here. Following Tony's method (set puller; put pressure) but before leaving, open a can or two of Coca-Cola and pour over it. Go have lunch and by the time you come back the thing has popped, allegedly. If you do it, please let us know because I'm very skeptical about it.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Hueso wrote:Bob:

I have heard of a crazy thing a marina yard contractor does down here. Following Tony's method (set puller; put pressure) but before leaving, open a can or two of Coca-Cola and pour over it. Go have lunch and by the time you come back the thing has popped, allegedly. If you do it, please let us know because I'm very skeptical about it.
Coke, that's a new one...

I have also heard you can tap hub with a very small ball peen hammer. Idea is you can setup the correct vibrations/resonance and the taper will pop. I have tried when I was too tired (AKA-Lazy) to get the propane torch...used wrench I had for prop puller and tap tap tap. I got bored after awhile, grabbed the torch.

So Bob, if I read correctly, you fit the wheel correct, no issue with key riding.

I believe Ellis wheels have their blades overlapping...if that is the case I am not sure you can use a Walters puller on those wheels. Give them a call and see...if you decide to go with them, shoot me an email, I can save you some coin. Or stop by and I'll lend you one of mine to try.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

next year carl i will take you up on your kind suggestion.my friend is a NYPD. marine officer in your area and could easily pick up and return.the wheels are off the boat now to clean and balance but next year i will contact you ,not planning on any prop. changes this year however the brotherhood has come up with a dilemma !!!! the better you lap in props and keyway the more difficult it will be to remove.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

"I have also heard you can tap hub with a very small ball peen hammer. Idea is you can setup the correct vibrations/resonance and the taper will pop. I have tried when I was too tired (AKA-Lazy) to get the propane torch...used wrench I had for prop puller and tap tap tap. I got bored after awhile, grabbed the torch. "

I don't recommend the hammer approach. The first year after my repower, I needed to tweek the props, and I did not have the new puller, I asked the yard to pull the props. They put little dents in both hubs of my brand new props.

I was not too pleased.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

Hueso wrote:Bob:I have heard of a crazy thing a marina yard contractor does down here. Following Tony's method (set puller; put pressure) but before leaving, open a can or two of Coca-Cola and pour over it. Go have lunch and by the time you come back the thing has popped, allegedly. If you do it, please let us know because I'm very skeptical about it.
Why not? Years ago we would use Coke to dislodge a tire from its rim when all else failed. Put the wheel on the ground, pour Coke all around the rim, let it sit for a while and the bond would be broken. Haven't needed to use this trick for a while so have no idea if today's Coke still has this "power."
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:"I have also heard you can tap hub with a very small ball peen hammer. Idea is you can setup the correct vibrations/resonance and the taper will pop. I have tried when I was too tired (AKA-Lazy) to get the propane torch...used wrench I had for prop puller and tap tap tap. I got bored after awhile, grabbed the torch. "

I don't recommend the hammer approach. The first year after my repower, I needed to tweek the props, and I did not have the new puller, I asked the yard to pull the props. They put little dents in both hubs of my brand new props.

I was not too pleased.
Tony- when I say tap I mean tap...tapping no harder then you'd care to hit your hand with the hammer.

Knocking a prop with a prop knocker is a whole other story....still a few steps better then the guy swinging a sledge at the hub trying to remove...although not by much.

I'll take the Walters Puller any day over those...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

White Bear wrote:no idea if today's Coke still has this "power."
It's the acidic ingredients of Coke that explain this... And yes, Coke still has this power... Vinegar, Cider etc also...