Hynautic steering revisited

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JimmyG

Hynautic steering revisited

Post by JimmyG »

After a brief dip in the bay for a few weeks of test runs last fall the boats been on land and once again its time to get her ready for the upcoming season so I wanted to address a nagging problem with my steering, it's tough as hell to steer (turn the wheel) I rebuilt the helm (maybe the issue) new lines,fittings,reservoir,and valve the ram looked fairly new. Today I disconnected the tie rod thinking the rudders were to tight, no change turning the helm is just as hard. By the way the autopilot won't work properly we (Simrad tech and myself) bled the system receptively and had to trick the system to get the perimeters. Anyone have any ideas? BTW i have a Hynautic Heavy-Duty Helm Pumps—H-25
Carl

Re: Hynautic steering revisited

Post by Carl »

With rudder disconnected the wheel is still tight?

Using the right fluid?
Fittings too tight at cylinder?

Then-

Helm pump? Without pressurizing, does wheel turn easy? If not, I have an extra H-50 if you want to try that...think its same but more revs lock to lock. Could be check valve in helm or...

Is the autopilot T-ed in line so your not trying to pump thru it?

On a side note...getting off the boat last week and a bunch of guys are huddled around the front and wave me over. Hey buddy come here and look at this video of a Killer 31 from down Jersey. Yup, two seconds in and I see its your boat on one of those trial runs.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

LOL thats funny Carl, yes the pump is "T" in and it was tuff turning before the auto pilot and yes I'm using seastar fluid if I let the pressure off, the wheel turns easy but rudders don't move
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Jimmy,
Do you have a seperate valve body or is it built into the body of the tank? Is it new or used?

What is the inside diameter of your hose or tubing and is the valve a 950 or 500 psi?
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Bruce this the exact system i have http://www.seastarsolutions.com/product ... autic-new/ HC25 helm is rebuilt and the ram ( HC5319) is what came out of the boat, I talked to Seastar tech support and they are going to get back to me, he seems to think the 3/8 vinyl Seastar hoses are to small for the helm (2.75 cube in. dis.)and ram (13.7 cube in. displacement) and I either have to decrease the helm and ram or route all new larger diameter hoses. One side note he said he know a 31 Bertram well and said i don't need that big of a helm and pump because of the small rudders, but I told him I have Capt Pats oversize rudders so I guess he's doing the math. You guys who have purchased Capt Pats rudders, did they work well with your existing steering components?
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Jimmy I used the same ram with Capt Pats oversized rudders, I believe I also have the same helm pump but no reservoir with air fittings. Simrad AP, JP advised me to bleed the heck out of it and it took quite some time to get ALL the air out, make sure to go right up to the lock and back again to the other side again right up to the lock. I will find out exactly what helm pump I used. My set up turns like butta. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Carl

Post by Carl »

If you turn the wheel slow...still hard to turn?

Going slow should allow fluid to flow easily thru undersized plumbing and would have me thinking restriction...

-if turning slow is still difficult as well, I'd be looking for either the Ram binding, (fittings too tight into bushing and binding the ram) bad check valve in helm or piston in helm( although a bad piston in helm would be difficult with pressure off, so check valve is still a possibility) I believe the valve at the reserve is only a relief valve to give way if overloaded...

Any chance you have return plumbed wrong?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The 3/8 sea star hoses are 3/8 OD which makes the inside even smaller and with that volume head a minimum of 1/2 or 5/8 ID line is required.

I would change the head if they agree. Don't forget to make sure if you change the head it has the right size pressure relief valve assy in the system for that head.

The 25's are over kill for that size.

Pats rudders are no cause to excess pressure against the system.

Most all the 31's I've done all had Sea Star or h50 helms with matching rams and had zero issues with turning ability with Pats rudders. They are a non issue.

Bob, You can't have the same helm with no tank. There is nowhere to put fluid in the system except a tank with that helm.

Sea Stars have the removable vent plug with which to add fluid. The hynuatic designs do not.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

I have the sea star helm. Vent is in the dash. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?