Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tom Curran

Trailer for a B28

Post by Tom Curran »

Hey members
Im this close to making an offer on a B28
I will have a few questions later..
For now and this is for down the road..lol
What make/model of trailer do members own/like..
More details and pics as this story evolves..Thanks
Kevin

Re: Trailer for a B28

Post by Kevin »

Tom, welcome to the site. I do not own a trailer but I have put the B28 on a trailer before. Could you give us a little more information as to how often you plan on using the trailer?
Based on my experience trailers are expensive and labor intensive to own, especially big triple axle trailers like what you would need for the 28. They are kind of like outboards with a limited life span and once they get to a certain condition need to be replaced. Brakes, tires, axles, studs, bearings and the corrosion that destroys them just stink to deal with. B28 is a little wide and not so road friendly depending on your location and enforcement.
Depending on your needs paying a transport company may be worth it if you only need it for the purchase of the boat and moving it to your location.
If it was a seasonal thing and you are up north and only plan hauling and launching once a year I think it would be doable if you stay on top of the trailer maintenance. If you plan on trailering it every time you use it like on weekends and letting it sit at a boat ramp the life of the trailer would be short lived. Not to mention it is a bit of a pain to secure without a trailer eye on the bow of the boat.
I don't mean to dissuade you, just want to make sure you are informed as to the pitfalls. Let us know and we will help you along. Good luck with your purchase and post up some photos if you can.
Tom Curran

Post by Tom Curran »

It would be used to move to another location once or twice a year..
The boat would stay at a slip for the season..
Use the trailer as winter storage cradle..
Have someone with a larger pickup than me move it..
Unless I get that too.
I will tell more about the boat later..
Don't want to jinx the deal..lol
bertram 20

Post by bertram 20 »

I recently purchased a used trailer for my b28, triple axle Aluminum I beam trailer .I basically wanted it for storing boat in my yard and in case of a storm i could haul out myself instead of relying on my friend john and his hydraulic trailer.I will try to get some pics but it is buried under 5ft of snow.You will need to really beef up Boards that it sits on, i looked at a lot of pics on line to see were people mounted beams on trailer, i had to mount beams on top of I Beams on each side of trailer then found out a little bit of the hard way that i needed to add 2 big beams under the hull in the middle to really hold the weight of the boat and cradle it then just use outside beams as added stability for boat to stop from being tippy. i move it around with my Chevy tahoe i just go easy and always try to take out at high tide.i will try to get you some pics.
Tom Curran

Post by Tom Curran »

Thanks..I live in Middlebury VT..we got snow but not like you did 2 weeks ago..
But we do have cold temps..
Take your time and thanks..