Where to send parts out for re-chrome

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

dcasey10

Where to send parts out for re-chrome

Post by dcasey10 »

Want to get the newly acquired original bow chock, along with side steps and some other chrome hardwear re-chromed. Would like to send them to a place in new england area. Might have the original gauge panel chromed as well, really love the classic 1960s cadillac look of it chromed- combined with my single spoke sportfish wheel woooo!

Whats the cost on re doing these parts as well?

Dug I know you are getting some of your hardwear re-chromed?
IRGuy

Re: Where to send parts out for re-chrome

Post by IRGuy »

The environmental problems with rechroming are causing a lot of plating shops to close. Three years ago I had a lot of deck fittings and my outrigger bases removed and ready to rechrome. I found a shop about 50 miles away who quoted me the lowest price I got from 5 shops.. he did a great job but has since gone out of business. The other shops (two in the NY City/New Jersey area and two in FL) were all higher priced, plus the freight costs raised the total cost astronomically.

Even with the lowest cost the charges for my local guy, with me delivering and picking up the parts, were almost equal to buying new. I had him do only the outrigger bases because they (Lee Senior model) aren't made anymore, and I already had the mounting holes and backing plates in the hull. Rather than rechroming the cleats, triangular openings at each corner of the transom, chocks, anchor rode opening on the foredeck, etc I replaced with new all stainless parts. I gave the stemhead chock/nav light fitting to Captain Patrick, and installed new chocks on the bow. I intend to add a small anchor roller assembly in the future so the stemhead fitting was not going to fit in my plans, and I installed new LED nav lights on the flybridge sides.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Dug

Post by Dug »

DJ,

I just had a bunch of stuff re-done at American Electroplating in Hawthorne, NJ. I've used them for a long time.

Give them a ring at 973-427-2300.

Great guys. Tell him I sent ya.

Dug
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

DJ,

A few more places to talk to if you need them-

Nassau Chrome (516) 746-6666 (Mineola, NY)

Superior Plating (203) 255-1501 (Southport, CT)

HarCon Chrome (800) 603-6801 (Hartford, CT)

I can't speak to pricing on your job, but I can say these are top quality platers.
dcasey10

Post by dcasey10 »

Thank you guys I will call around to see what sounds good.

Dug are you getting rid of your aft bulkhead windows? I might be interested in one set, frame window glass, as my boat only has a window on the port side.

20 Bahia mar is close to being sold to a guy who may restore her...

Old Sport has a long list of to do's... I am interested in repaint the hull, doing a roll and tip with a local pro. the spray job was done by a non marine pro and it has some orange peal, after all the long prep work I would really like to have a great finish... anyone have imput on roll and tip? There are 4 spray coats on so I am thinking that a nice 320sand and one final coat will do the trick if done right

DJ
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Dave Casey,
Did you ever contact Dana Sponagle at Dion's in Salem. He did my boat(gel coat above the waterline to rub rail and Imron on decks,house sides, engine boxes, cockpit sole and side panels. It was done in 1995 and when I sold it last summer the gel looked as good as the day it was done, the Imron needed to be re-sprayed in areas that were lifting and worn but hell it lasted 19 years. The 20' Bahia Mar that you have for sale is it the one with the newer Merc engine and drive? I know Bruce was looking for a 20' Bertram did he contact you?
I had some parts re-chromed in Salem back in the late 80's I don't know if the place is still in business it was on Broadway behind MacDonalds on Canal St. I can't remember the name and there was a place in Newburyport that did chrome work but I think it burned down a while back. The place that Dug used seams to be the closest.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
bbtiller

Post by bbtiller »

Gulf Plating in Ft. Lauderdale? did six cleats, two hawses?, bow chock/running light, and two side steps, and multiple included bolts/washers/nuts for me for right at $1000. Nicely done. Very fast turn around. Here's the contact:

Dave Prentice
Gulf Plating
954-567-0303
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

I have had good results from Nassau chrome
1968 hull # 316 - 757