R. G. Rollins Throttle/Shift Controls

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Parker

R. G. Rollins Throttle/Shift Controls

Post by Parker »

I recently discussed the Solo Sidemount single handle throttle/shift controls with the R. G. Rollins company. They appear to be very high quality controls. And, the price quoted shows that they are very proud of them.... $1153.00 EACH factory direct. Ouch!

I presume that, like some manufacturers, they have retail dealers and have a high factory direct price to protect the retailers but not sure about that. I have many times been able to purchase merchandise for much less from a dealer than factory direct. Don't know if that could be the case here but worth seeing if anyone knows.

Does anyone know of a source/dealer to purchase these controls at a better price? Are there any suggestions regarding comparable side mount single handle throttle/shift controls?

Thanks for any feedback available.
JimmyG

Re: R. G. Rollins Throttle/Shift Controls

Post by JimmyG »

I used Morse single lever controls and mounted them under the console pod and machined SS extensions and mounted the handles outside
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Jimmy,

Can you see anything when you sit in the helm chair?

And have you (or anyone) found a microphone clip that will actually hold the mic when conditions get a bit sporty?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Parker wrote:I presume that, like some manufacturers, they have retail dealers and have a high factory direct price to protect the retailers but not sure about that. I have many times been able to purchase merchandise for much less from a dealer than factory direct.
FWIW, as a manufacturer who has a dealer/reseller network I can always undercut my partners price wise... But, I need them to extend my reach... So, we have an MSRP (with set discounts for specific volumes) and I won't undercut that price list... And, I don't allow my dealers/resellers to do so either... Price based competition is just a race to the bottom... At which point there's no profitability left to justify the effort...

Dealers/resellers should compete on added value... Such as availability, service etc...

Now, if a dealer/reseller is negotiating a really big volume deal they can involve me and then additional discounts may be applied...

It's simply good business (IMHO) to do things that way...
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Parker

Glenn at L&H adapts the morse 201? Single lever control for use with a helm pod

He even sells kits for guys that want to use his helm pod style. I did one on a custom rebuild i scratch started last year for a friend. Give L&H boat works a call they are in Stuart fl.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have the Rollins single lever controls in my 31 bertram.the machining quality is 1000% .they use a actual gearbox with stainless gears and bronze levers ,absolutely bulletproof .one trick i would like to pass on ,that is to run the starboard throttle and both port and starboard gears down starboard pillar and only port throttle down port pillar this will avoid 180 degree turn at gears .ZF gears will be extremely responsive together with Vulken drives .

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

cable routing under cockpit deck for ZF gears both cables PULL on shift levers of gears.black cables are for trolling valves also both pulling from starboard side of boat.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

mike ohlstein wrote:Jimmy,

And have you (or anyone) found a microphone clip that will actually hold the mic when conditions get a bit sporty?
Mike, I have know problem seeing and I had the same icom radio/clip and never had it bounce out with my other 31
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Inside and outside shot of the console I did from L&H last fall. Note the morse adaptation for the controls
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

mike ohlstein wrote:Jimmy,

Mike here is a picture of me sitting in behind my helm, as you can see i have a good line of Image
Parker

Post by Parker »

Thanks to you all for the feedback.

Jimmy G. - Very clever installation but I don't think it would work with my design. Your flybridge enclosure looks fantastic! From what I can see, it looks like an absolutely perfect fit. Would like to see more photos of it.

Navatech - Thanks for the lesson. FWIW, your story reminds me of an uncle of mine that owned an automobile dealership. He believed that General Motors put an MSRP on each of its vehicles for a reason and that is what they should be sold for. He doesn't own the dealership anymore. Everything has its price, some high, some low, or simply... some better than others and as a consumer who does his research, I rarely offer to pay the highest. And that is just MHO, but WTFDIK.

Bob L. - Great endorsement of the Rollins control and thanks for the great photos. Obviously a high quality piece of machinery and looks like a very clean and simple installation. Not sure if this is the way I will go yet but certainly leaning that way. Still checking all the options. Thanks also for the great tips on cable routing, I know I am going to have to do some re-routing. I am surprised that you were the only reply on the Rollins controls. I figured there would be more than just a few Bertram owners with them. Do you have a photo of "The Shiny Side" of your pod installation?

J P - Thanks for the photos and info on the Morse control. This is a good looking installation also! Do you have a closer photo of the control units? I want to get more info on this unit. I tried to look up L&H Boat Works on the internet but found nothing on them. Do you have any website info or other contact info?

Thanks again for all the helpful feedback.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Personally...I like the Teleflex Single lever controls, MT-3.
It puts both functions in one lever...both levers on one control box.
All controlled with one hand in a spot you can reach in forward or in reverse...no fancy standing backward maneuvers required.
By all dockhands...watching me dock say it's boring...I just stand there with one hand on the controls looking back as boat slides in and stops.

Is it the prettiest thing...eh, maybe not..okay definitely not the sexy pod levers. But it never gets in the way or hit by knees or a person passing by that leans into it. Cruise with one hand on both throttles, the other on the wheel in hairy situations. You can get up on plane while holding a hot cup of coffee with the other.

Only down sides...
-second helm requires a switch box at the motors and is a pain to setup. Switch box not really available anymore...I made one of mine.
-trolling that requires minute adjustments in speed is a pain as the throttle is a bit snug and touchy...takes some getting used to.

R.G Rollins- I was on the phone with them for quite a while over the course of a few days trying to trouble shoot a problem for a friend...very nice and very helpful. They truly believed in their product, stood behind it and worked with me to figure out the issue...they later called back to make sure it was resolved to satisfaction. That says alot about a product and the company behind it.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

L & H Boats Inc
Professional Services
3350 Southeast Slater Street, Stuart, FL 34997
(772) 288-2291
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"