Some pictures

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Some pictures

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Here you go, they want a good chunk of change for prints but some nice shots.

1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
captbone

Re: Some pictures

Post by captbone »

Beautiful boat!

How is the work on the boat coming?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

BTW That's my Dad on the bridge with me, my Mom in the cabin with Carter (5) looking out the window. My wife is sitting at the dinette facing forward with the baby (Justin 2), you can make out her white hat in one of the shots.

Captbone - thanks for asking she's ready to go and will be back home tomorrow night. I went with a new block and pulled all the parts that were worth keeping from the old block. I also added an additional buss bar and removed the various grounds that were directly connected to the battery and added a teak swim platform. To be clear when I say we what I really mean is I paid the boat yard to do it ;)

We'll be making one last beach trip on Saturday before we transform her into a bass boat for the fall...
captbone

Post by captbone »

Great news! Glad to hear all is well. The swim platform will be a nice addition!

Cheers,

JR
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I really debated a swim platform but with the kids it's gonna make life really easy, surprisingly you can't see it while your up on the bridge. Hopefully I don't back it into anything. Figuring I may strap a cooler and my portable live well to the platform for fishing. And in these pics you can see a 8' kayak laying on the deck, it will clean up the deck for my beach cruises too. Kind of annoying while fishing but it's a compromise.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Beautiful. She really looks great.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

John looks are deceiving. The bridge is really a mess.

Picked her up last night with the new block. Running great.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Glad she's running well. She still looks great
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Geez Peter it looked flat enough for a cocktail at speed! What gives?
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Mark those were unsolicited shots taken by boatpix. We've got a pretty big bay 4 miles across 30 miles long. We were headed to the beach, the same place bob Lico talks about. If you look close you can see a kayak and BBQ in the cockpit. Carter looking out the cabin windows that's his favorite spot.

We were probably only cruising at 16 knots. We get a SW wind that kicks up in the afternoon this was pretty early in the morning. My dad's getting older and rarely joins me on the bridge, so it's a special pick. If it was rough I would have been by myself.

The bay can get a nasty chop but rarely big waves.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Peter, looking good!! enjoy every minute you get out with the family, they grow quickly!
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Well I've got to tell you guys being this good looking isn't fair. Spent Friday night at the dock cleaning her up from all the work. Ran over to the beach on Saturday and docked one slip away from our own Bob Lico's Phoenix (Anthony). Spent some time buttoning things back up at the dock on Sunday morning too.

I know that you all know this but it can take hours to clean the deck with people walking by....what year, power, how fast, their story about the 31 they went on as a kid...blah blah blah. And when you leave they congregate with beers and talk about what they'd do to it before returning to their Sea Ray. I think I may need to rename her Marilyn Monroe or Diva! My wife now knows better and usually says you stay put I'll run back to the boat, I don't need you going missing for a few hours. She was once a very domesticated high society woman who now says "454 big blocks, 1969, she burns 25 GPH..... She comes back with questions like what kind of transmissions do we have, have you replaced the rudders? It's like living in the twilight zone.

Now keep in mind my boat is a bit rough to say the least. I even had a guy walk past Phoenix and whisper to me I like your's better and wink. MORON.

In any case I'm happy to have her back, even if the on lookers seem disappointed that she's gas and not diesel!

Have a great week all, we'll be hanging out at Seaseme Place this weekend while you're out catching fish, lucky me!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Peter, those pictures are in the Bay??

If so wow...I am so used to seeing the great south bay look the Rairitan Bay. I'm jealous....although Bob did show us some Bay pics...but not at speed.

Glad to hear your running again.

Chop in the bay is putting it mildly... I head back home one time from Watch Hill on a day we should have stayed and the chop was ridiculous. Felt like we were going thru a car wash and could only catch a glimpse every few waves. By the time we got to Captree we did not have a thing left standing upright in cabin.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

It can get a bit crazy Carl, I once had a 22' robalo and took every other wave over the bow at 6 knots found a cove and dropped the hook. But it's nothing the Bert won't push aside at 16 knots. It's like a big wash tub 8' deep and on a Saturday afternoon the waters bouncing off the bottom in every direction.

The bay stays clean until after 4th of July the photos were June 28. Usually the water heads up algae blah blah blah. But this year it was cool and the new inlet is an additional flush point. Bay was super clean all summer but you are right not the usual in years past. Some say the new inlet is the one blessing from sandy.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Nice shots. Did you ever re-do the props?

Some bays get sloppy. Barnegat bay gets that short chop and confused seas. There are times I get beat up more cutting across the bay then out in the ocean.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Anthony borrow the boat to take girl scouts to fire island.as far as the worse bay conditions we help evacuate some people during pre hurricane ,and cross bay in hurricane waters.a very differcult steep wave situation .put her on top at 16knt. And pray.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Pete i wish you would have ask me for swim platform .i had a custom made one with stainless brackets .stored in marina maint. Building and throw in dumpster after Sandy clean up.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony I have not done anything with the props. I was planning on having the props pulled when I blew the motor. But after I break them in I want to retake all the numbers before sending them to the prop guy.

Bob I got a really nice teak swim platform off a 31 I think you know the one.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob---If you come across another swim platform that fits our boats, put a price on it and tell me where to pickup.
It has been one of my projects for years but other projects always seemed to take priority.
The girls hate climbing up over the side...
Carl

Pete- We close up the Shop last week of July/First Week of August...so I guess that's why I always saw your Bay brown.
Same deal by us...early and late season we see the clean water in the Bay. Mid Season on hot years it's just nasty at times.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

I will check maint.building and storage trailers for swim platform.they normally discard them ,actually no means to sell parts like that.pete i know the platform real nice.
My wife has servere RA so every other week when i take my family across to fire island sailors haven normaly 12 people with children i found the best speed to be 27knt. No bumps at all for her.the boat is also totally dry sitting on engine cover with cushions under her.i installed a hospital grade TV mount with flat screen and speakers for the boys playing video games and the girls do arts and craft on salon table.here my bride at fire island .

Last edited by bob lico on Sep 30th, '14, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote:I will check maint.building and storage trailers for swim platform.they normally discard them ,actually no means to sell parts like that.
If you find something suitable in your travels and can't sell it...figure a donation amount to the site.
Doesn't have to be now...boats not going in till next year at best.

Yup, I have missed a few good ones by a day here or a day there.