ZF 220 A

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kiffa
Standing Member

ZF 220 A

Post by Kiffa »

Hi everyone,

On my 220 A we cracked the elbow that houses the filter.
ZF has told me they no longer make this part and it’s not available. The replacement entails me also replacing the pump support which is expensive.
Does anyone know of an alternative route?
One suggestion is to use high pressure hoses and by pass it, has anyone done this before and are they any pictures.
Thanks in advance!

Navatech

Re: ZF 220 A

Post by Navatech »

A half way decent machine shop should be able to make one that would be functionally the same from scratch... A flange, a bit of heavy schedule pipe, another piece of heavy schedule pipe... Instead of using prefab piping they might prefer to make the parts out of stock on a lathe... Some welding plus a welded cap (not required if made on a lathe) on one end and a threaded cap on the other end... Otherwise I'd say try the scrap yard route...
Last edited by Navatech on Aug 31st, '14, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
Kiffa
Standing Member

Post by Kiffa »

Thanks Navatech,

Yes you are correct I think this part can be made locally. I got my old one welded and it seems ok but I will try to source one off an old box.
Tony at Seaboard said it is not a design flaw as such but the way it is you do have to be careful when removing as it tends to break as mine did.
Thanks for your input,

Chris
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Always welcome... Having said that, the part looks to be a casting... I wouldn't trust a weld... IMHO you have the following options:

1) Pre used OEM part...
2) New OEM part...
3) Custom fabricated part...

Due to the problems of welding steel/iron castings I would NOT consider a repaired part as an option!...