Route to the Northeast by 16' Budget Truck?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Pete Fallon

Route to the Northeast by 16' Budget Truck?

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
I know this is not related to Bertram's but I need some advise about the best way to get to Massachusetts without going via the Tapenzee Bridge- 284-84 route. I have driven the 95- Garden State Parkway- 284-84 route about 40 times over the years. This year I need some advice, I was thinking about getting off the New Jersey Turnpike at the junction of 87 and going all the way up to Albany on the West side of the Hudson River then to the Mass Pike. I just don't want to go via the New York City I-95 nightmare and they will not allow trucks after exit 105 on the Garden State Parkway to the Tapenzee Bridge route. My wife is going to drive one of the Cadillac's and is deathly afraid of that section between the Tapenzee Bridge to 284 spilt then up to 84. I told her to fly home and I will come back down and get the other car later, that means I'll have to tow the SLS behind the Budget truck. She doesn't want me driving by myself because of my knee. I have offered to pay a couple of my friends to drive a car up and I'll fly them back to West Palm but everyone is busy the week I want to go, plan on leaving about August 8,9 or 10, I have the truck for 6 days. Let me know the route that you feel would be the less stressful.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
PeterPalmieri

Re: Route to the Northeast by 16' Budget Truck?

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Pete you've just about eliminated every route possible, you can check the Bear Mountain bridge I'm not sure if there are any restrictions.

If I were you I'd overnight in central jersey between exit 7 & 9 be out the door by 3:30AM and over the GW by 5AM.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

would I87 to I84 east help you ?
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Pete Fallon wrote:Faithful,
I was thinking about getting off the New Jersey Turnpike at the junction of 87 and going all the way up to Albany on the West side of the Hudson River then to the Mass Pike.
Pete Fallon
Pete, I have done this route several times, it is very very easy. You will have no problems passing through Albany. Albany is about 2.5 hours north of NYC. You will see the exits for the Mass Pike very clearly marked when you get to Albany. The ride through the Berkshires is pleasant and no bad traffic all the way east to Boston.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I'm curious how much time does that add to the trip? I did that trip once up to Albany to pick up friends and then off to boston. It was a long haul.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
Thank you for the input about the route to the Mass Pike via I 87. As I said before I do not want to go via the George Washington Bridge I-95, it doesn't bother me to go that way, but my wife hates that route after we had a wheel bearing on our car let go on the X Bronx Expressway on a Friday evening during rush hour traffic. We had to pull into a truck repair garage just at closing, all the mechanics had gone home, limped to the owners brothers gas station surrounded by burning tenements and a police station that was being shot at by the restless natives. I managed to get back on the road in less than 2 hours but it scared my wife to death. I usually have her fly to Salem but we need to get 2 cars and a truck load of stuff back up north. I am going to try the I -95 to I-87 to Mass Pike route. Thanks again,
Pete Fallon Boat less in Stuart
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Peter P,
The trip without towing or using a truck usually takes me 2 days, Driving either of the Cadillac's is not very hard on the body. The last time I drove it in 2009 it took me 25 hours of total driving time. I drove from Stuart to Edgewater MD on I-95 in 14-1/2 hours then to Salem in 8-1/2 hours, the last 35 miles took over 2 hours because of rush hour traffic and heavy thunder storms. The reason I drove for 14-1/2 hours is because Little Bush was going to be in Baltimore, the next morning and they shut down the highways for his motorcade. The trip is 1440 miles door to door and the best time I ever did it was 22 and 10 minutes, highly unusual no traffic or rain. It's long boring ride especially after doing it over 30 times.
Pete Fallon
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Pay some summer break college kid to drive the truck up and take the bus back. Put the Caddy on the auto train and get yourself a sleeper compartment.

This doesn't have to be torture…….
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Ive done the autotrain in both directions, its really not bad.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Steve.
I find that the trip between Sanford Fl. and Lorton Va. is the easiest part of the trip, it's straight shot on I-95. Plus it takes them 18 to 20 hours on the auto train, plus wait time on either end for loading and unloading. I have driven it 4 years ago in 15 hours to Edgewater, MD which is north of Baltimore. Granted it is the most boring part, there is hardly any traffic problems. The worst part I find is between the Beltway and I -84 in Western Conn. I just wanted to know how well the route from the Jersey Pike to Garden State Parkway at Edision (exit 105) to I 87 interchange is No trucks allowed after exit 105 on the GSP and I don't want to go thru the New York City nightmare on the GWB and Cross Bronx Expressway, I have seen better off road dirt tracks, if the furrows get any deeper your car will be bottoming out on that stretch of roadway.
I don't ever remember seeing the signage for I-87 on the GSP. I am used to driving long trailers, I towed the Jupiter 31 with a F-350 for years on the tournament circuit between Bolixi. Miss and Morehead City NC and drove fire dept ladder trucks both tiller and straight jobs for many years. My plan is to put the SLS Cadi on a car trailer behind the 16' box truck and my wife says she will drive the SRX Cadi. I checked into putting the SRX on a car trailer (6008) pounds and the wheel base is too long also. The auto transport truckers want $1100.00 between Stuart, Fl and Peabody Ma. Anyway I need to get 2 cars and a truck full of household furniture and tools to Peabody Ma the second weekend in August. If anyone knows anyone looking for a weekends worth of driving I'll pay them and fly them back to Florida, within reason.
Pete Fallon
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Just an FYI, the Cross Bronx was paved last month. If you hit it at the right time, it's a breeze.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

It's only a 16' truck, so you're not taking a lot of "stuff". Why not use one of the PODS services instead of driving a truck? Has to be cheaper than flying people back to Florida. You and your wife each drive one car.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Fishin Tom
Location: Stuart, Florida and Holtz Boatworks, Southern New Jersey

Post by Fishin Tom »

Here is my suggestion for the least amount of traffic and agg. route to Mass

Take 95 from south to Wilmington Delaware, go over the Delaware Memorial Bridge, get on 295 North which merges with 95 (NJ Turnpike, trucks allowed), north to just above New Brunswick near Edison look for sign for 287 get on headed North and stay on it for what seems like an eternity and pass thru Mahwah, nj ( right on the NJ and NY border), Getting on 87 (da trueway North toward Albany and before you get to Albany you will get on 90 East which becomes the Mass Turnpike take it to your destination.

I know it seems long, but in a truck dragging a trailer it should be the least aggravation, not the most.

On 287 In the South Plainfield, Piscataway area there is an abundant amount of Hotels, and eateries to break the trip up with easy on off interchange.

Good luck and safe travel--
Just as an aside" As crazy kids, we used to race on 287 in the early 60's before it was every opened to public. Family cars were never the same after we blue all the carbon out of them. born and raised in South Plainfield

Tom Oakes
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Tom Oakes,
Thanks you, I knew someone from the board would know the correct way to go. I wish I could stop in to see you and your operation but I am going to be running on a very tight schedule. The guy's at Chapman's said to say hello to you, I was in there the other day. They expanded the store to the North, and it is a lot brighter in there now.
Thanks again,
Pete Fallon
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Pete

Go with Tom's suggestiion. It is the best shot.

Tom

Racing on 287. I remember when the damn thing ended and you had to get off of it. I think we are dating ourselves.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Cam B25 and Tony,
I am going to take Tom Oakes' route, Cam I priced the 16' x 7' x 7' ,Pod they wanted $2750.00 for the trip from Stuart to Peabody Ma. Even with the Budget rental truck and an car trailer it's less than $1,000. plus fuel and tolls. No way near the Pod price, also I got a quote from a big moving company for $7,100.00. I told them I only wanted to rent the truck space not buy the whole trailer. Thanks for all your help everyone. Have a good time at Green Port this coming weekend.
Pete Fallon
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
Another change in plans, I am leaving this noon time for Massachusetts, going on I-95,NJTP,GSP to 84 all the way, the wife and I are driving together in the Cadiilac SRX together with 2 cats, I need to be there on Wednesday morning. The new plan is I am flying back down on the 27th of August picking up a 24' Diesel truck with the car carrier and driving back over the Labor Day weekend. I have the truck from Thursday the 28th until September 3 at noon, so I am not going to push like I usually do ( I usually do it in under 24 hours of driving time, 1440 miles door to door). If anyone is looking for an excuse to get away from the wife for the weekend, I wouldn't mind the company, I'll fly you back to Florida. I decided to go with the 24' diesel truck just for the towing aspect and a little more room in the box so I don't have to figure out where every box and item should be placed. This way I get to take a few items that I was going to give away or donate, ei: big cast iron table saw, ban saw, 5.8 KW generator and bunch of fishing equipment, I have a place to store them when I get there. The cost is just over a 1K for the truck and car carrier, plus my time, fuel, motel, tolls and meals. I firuge by the time I'm done with both trips it's going to be just about $2,500.00 still alot less than the POD rental and a professional mover, just a few days off my life time wise. They way I look at it, this is my last time moving an entire house full of crap, the next time it will be buy a small condo and write the check for the furniture and anything else needed. It is absolutely amazing how much stuff you can accumulate and have to move it, in just a few years.
As far as I know my old boat is on the way to the Virgin Islands by Tropical Shipping on one of there RORO ships, I guess they had to postpone last week because of the tropical depression in the PR area. I'll be out of regular computer touch until Thursday, but my cell is 561-310-7179.
Pete Fallon
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Pete Fallon wrote:If anyone is looking for an excuse to get away from the wife for the weekend, I wouldn't mind the company, I'll fly you back to Florida.
I don't need an excuse for a road trip... The question is will work allow it... I'll let you know around that time... At the very least it will allow me to pick your brains about a multitude of things...
Pete Fallon wrote:5.8 KW generator
Is that a diesel generator?!... Marine?!...
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Navatech
It is a 5.8 KW household style air cooled generator, it has a 120/240 outlet, 2-20 amp outlets,1-120/240 outlet,2-30 amp outlets and outlet for a 20 amp battery charger , electric key start or pull cord starting. It holds 5.5 gallons of gas that will run for 6 hours on a full tank. I have it mounted on a 4 wheeled cart so it is easy to move around. I thought I had it sold last week,the people Cameron see it and it wouldn't start. I had it running for 15 minutes the day before, I put a new spark plug in on Monday and it fired right up. Needless to say they didn't want it. Anyway it is still for sale for $1 000.00 I paid $ 2,400.00 when I bought it,it had been stored inside since new. As for the road trip to Massachusetts. I welcome any company,I never get tried of talking about Bertram's . Also I am going to up grade to a 24' diesel truck, it will be easier to drive than a 16' box gasser which is marginal for towing a car carrier 4 wheeled trailer with a 4000 pound cadi on the back.
Pete Fallon. @
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Thanks for the answers Pete. I don't need yet another gas home type generator but I am looking for a marine diesel unit.

As for the road trip, so far it looks good.

Best regards.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Navatech,
E,
I've had a change in plans for the trip to New England, I am still flying back to Florida next Wednesday morning, but I will not be leaving Florida until after the Labor Day weekend, either Tuesday or Wednesday to leave Florida. Don't feel that you have to commit to the trip, I am going to use a 16' truck and a car carrier to tow the Cadi back to Massachusetts, I don't need the larger 24' truck because the wife deciced that she wants to get rid of some of the furniture she was going to take up North. Also I might stop to see Tommy Oakes on the Jersey Shore along the way. I lost your telephone number when my I phone dumped everthing during the Apple sites upgrade. Call or e-mail me as soon as you can 561-310-7179 cell or fal4artbts@aol.com. Thanks,
Pete Fallon
Fishin Tom
Location: Stuart, Florida and Holtz Boatworks, Southern New Jersey

Post by Fishin Tom »

Hi Pete:

I'd be quite a pleasure if you have time to stop by Holtz Boatworks and see some of our ongoing projects. Give me a call and I can give you easy directions from Delaware Memorial Bridge on the Jersey side. One hour by car from the bridge to HBW.

Tom Oakes 772.485.4595 cell

I'm in a walking cast right now and start my therapy next week. Badly broken foot and ankle from a dive off 31 Bertram to concrete. All these years and now I get hurt. Looking good right now though.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Pete Fallon wrote:Call or e-mail me as soon as you can 561-310-7179 cell or fal4artbts@aol.com.
I have mailed and PM'd you.
Greg A.

Post by Greg A. »

If you need anything when you reach the jersey side of the Delaware bridge let me know, I'm in Pennsville nj, where the bridge welcomes you to the fine state of Chris Christie!
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

GregA,
Thanks for the offer, I am familar with your area my wife bought a horse in Salem NJ years ago, prettyy area. Navatech, got your PM and e-mail.
Pete Fallon