greenport

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

1962 31

greenport

Post by 1962 31 »

Coming from Manasquan what is the best inlet to take to get up there? I'm going to get a chart but wanted to know my best route to the marina
Thanks
Tom
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: greenport

Post by mike ohlstein »

I would pass under the Verrazano Bridge and up the East River, to the Long Island Sound. Around Orient Point to Greenport.

Otherwise, if you're set on the ocean route you can take the Shinnecock Inlet, up through the canal into the Peconic Bay and to Greenport. Or just take the scenic route around Montauk Point.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Run a straigh course from your inlet to shennecock inlet.well maintain inlet very easy to follow buoys to canal and beautiful ride in deep water to greenport and many places to fuel along the way.what day due you plan on going thru inlet?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

Friday morning ill be heading up
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Tom,
If you follow Bob's lead and use the Shinnecock Inlet be aware that the Shinnecock Canal has three fixed bridges with maximum clearance in the very low 20's. Tower boats could be a problem and others may require riggers and antennas lowered.
Harry
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Good point harry i have to lower ant and outriggers to clear railroad bridge .i have press button rupp bases and it takes but a minute.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
tjhartsr

Post by tjhartsr »

i would take the shinnecock Inlet route also . its a quick run thru the inlet .Follow the buoys to the right after you go thru the inlet and it sweeps around toward the canal
2 miles or so. .Be aware going thru the canal ,depending on the tide you may be put into the locks .dont tie up hard as you will be up or down in the locks . once you get thru the canal right again about45 min or so cruise to green port. couple big sandbars that have eaten many boats. one east of robins island and one between shelter island and southold on the left side. other than that its deep water.safe trip.
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

I have riggers I know I clear 24' ill run a string up and get a good measurement to see if ill fit thanks for the info guys
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Bob and Tom are right about the run up from shinnecock canal to Greenport. I have made that run last year To pick up the lobster and clam boil for the guys. Stay in the channel,well marked, have all the numbers can forward them to you if needed. Beautiful piece of water and you pass new Grady's with ease.. Not bad for a 50 year old hull. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Lived on Long Island most of my life. Mike from the "Mean Team" is correct. Under the Verrazano and going through Hells Gate is a a lifetime experience. NYC to one side and Brooklyn to the other is indescribable. The ride up the Sound is easy. You are missing out if you don't choose this route. Mike may be able to come up with places to watch for. Rikers Island is one.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Really the best way to do it is to hit the NY harbor at dusk. Slow cruise up the east river with the buildings and bridges all lit up. Just past Rikers, you watch a few planes touch down at LaGuardia. Then, a few miles up into the sound, spend the night at the Manhasset Bay Marina in Port Washington or Brewers in Glen Cove. Then run to Greenport in the morning.

http://www.manhassetbaymarina.com/Welcome_to_MBM.html

http://www.byy.com/NYMarinas/GlenCove/Welcome.aspx
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

I spent 11 years working on the water in the Harbor, and there is no question that the ride past the statute, past the Battery and up the East River at dusk is impressive. But there are times that the amount of debris in the water is beyond belief, everything from little chunks of building lumber just the right size to jam between a propeller blade and the bottom of the hull, to waterlogged 20' 12x12's floating just under the surface. If I wasn't in a hurry I would run at displacement speed at night, so that I would have time to pull the engines out of gear when I heard something hit the hull. This is not a reason not to make the trip, just something to be aware of. Once past Throggs Neck the debris thins out considerably.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

East river can be funky with debris, but pretty.
Once into Long Island Sound, it is easy and Port Washington is a good stop point, as is Huntington.
The best scenario is to arrive one way and depart the other.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly