ZF 45 oil cooler line operating pressure

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

ZF 45 oil cooler line operating pressure

Post by Kevin »

Gents,
I tried to get some replacement oil cooler lines from transmission to oil cooler. NAPA nor the diesel stores sell these fittings which are inverted flares or so I am told. Can anyone advise what the operating pressure of the fluid is in these lines while transmission is operating at cruise to WOT?

I am thinking if it is not too high that I can carry at least some spare rubber hydraulic hose, cut the crimped portion off and use hose clamps on the metal tube before the nut on the transmission. This would be only for an emergency get home type of thing. Would this type of emergency repair work or would the fluid leak past the hose clamps?
I figure a hack saw, spare hose, fluid and hose clamps are all that is needed if this is a viable option.
Navatech

Re: ZF 45 oil cooler line operating pressure

Post by Navatech »

Kevin wrote:I am thinking if it is not too high that I can carry at least some spare rubber hydraulic hose, cut the crimped portion off and use hose clamps on the metal tube before the nut on the transmission. This would be only for an emergency get home type of thing. Would this type of emergency repair work or would the fluid leak past the hose clamps? I figure a hack saw, spare hose, fluid and hose clamps are all that is needed if this is a viable option.
As a get home solution it will probably work... Better then nothing... Having said that, personally I'd be much more comfortable with a "proper" spare hose... Sometimes you need to think outside of the box... If getting a hose made with these inverted flares is not possible in your location I'd look into the following options:

1) Try local shops specializing in industrial equipment (e.g. fork lifts).
2) Try local hydraulic shops.
2) Source the appropriate fittings yourself (the internet is great for this) and let NAPA or the local diesel stores fabricate the hose using your fittings...
3) These fittings connect to a matching fitting on the other side... Is it possible to change those matching fittings for something NAPA can handle?!...
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I would recommend Moreland Hose here in New York, http://www.morelandhose.com/. They are the best that I know of around. Look in the online catalogs and give a call. They make up hoses all the time, so with some measurements and photos you could very easily get the exact hose you need and not screw around with a get home fix.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

jspiezio wrote:I would recommend Moreland Hose here in New York, http://www.morelandhose.com/. They are the best that I know of around. Look in the online catalogs and give a call. They make up hoses all the time, so with some measurements and photos you could very easily get the exact hose you need and not screw around with a get home fix.
I agree moreland hose in Hempstead
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Carl

Post by Carl »

Navatech wrote:Try local hydraulic shops.

I second this...NAPA has their niche, hydraulic hoses not specific to automotive application is not it.

More specific is an Industrial Hose Supply house.

I did a quick google and this one came up, among others. I like local, to walk in with a sample and say...Make this and walk out with a match.

http://www.industrialhose.com/

locations?

http://www.industrialhose.com/contact-us.php
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Thanks for the resources fellas. I made a gross miscalculation and assumed these lines were something I could do real quick locally.
I expect to be knocking out about 500-600 NM this next week, hopefully I don't need to rely on my back-up plan. When I get back I will order some new ones and keep the current lines as spares since they are still good.
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

I don't know what kind of fittings you are using, but I can say for certain that trying to clamp the hose to some fittings is an expensive exercise in futility. We dumped at least 4 gallons of oil into the bilge trying to do that very thing with the fittings on my old oil cooler. In the now immortal words of the diesel shop that made the replacements. "Look, you dern fool, with these fittings, you can't just clamp a new hose on there. It will never work, Bro."

Solution - take off the existing lines, take to a diesel/heavy eq. shop, and have a spare set made.

At the proper shop, they build these in no time. While you wait. 15 minutes or so.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Kevin , if you need to stop by Founders Park in Islamorada, the beer is cold on Seachele, be there all week as of today
Bill
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Thanks for the offer Bill. We are pulling out of here Monday morning for the Berry loop.
Have you heard from or seen John up there? We spoke in may and he was heading to Chub with his boat. He was not sure if he was going to leave it there or bring it back and then do the crossing with us again. I hope he is ok, have not been able to reach him.
If you are up for it another Bertram would be sweet.......
Troy is trying to generator fixed so he is not sure yet. Wind forecast looks good so far!
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Kevin, no sign of John , his boat was gone last week when I checked. Work prohibits my participation in the Bahamas this year, but I'm wrapping it up. seachele2 is set for an extended Exumas next summer. Stop by yacht harbor anytime. 772-240-6146., Regards Bill
Bill