Screw identification

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

Screw identification

Post by Navatech »

The electrical panels on my boat are secured to their frames by a peculiar screw. Some are missing but I have no idea what these are called or where to get them.

Anybody know what these screws are called or where to get them?

These screws are stainless.
Last edited by Navatech on Jul 3rd, '14, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Screw identification

Post by CaptPatrick »

Nav,

Most probably a proprietary screw design by the panel manufacturer. If you can identify the manufacturer, you should be able to get replacements from them. Otherwise you're possibly SOL...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

CaptPatrick wrote:Most probably a proprietary screw design by the panel manufacturer. If you can identify the manufacturer, you should be able to get replacements from them.
There's no manufacturer noted on the panels. These are Bertram OEM panels. Possibly they were made by Bertram?
CaptPatrick wrote:Otherwise you're possibly SOL...
I have no idea what that means...
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

LOL, now you know how we feel when you use obscure letter combinations as short cuts to typing... SOL = Sh!t Outta' Luck
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Do a net search on "captive panel screws" which is what they are. You'll have to wade thru the nonsense to see if those exact ones are still available.

You can also call Bertram to see if they still have them or know who the manufacturer was/is.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Navatech wrote:I have no idea what that means...
Funny thing......several months ago I employed a very difficult young man. I would give him a task to do and a little while later he would be off doing something else totally different. Soooooo.....I would direct him back to the original task. Then a little while later he would be off doing something totally different than the task assigned to him.....sooooo.....we had a little chat that was quite uncomfortable for both of us......at that point I told him that I have already "Fired 2 shots across his bow" and the third would be a direct hit.

Well guess what happened.........I sent the 3rd shot right down the smoke stack.

As he was leaving he stopped me and asked "Just what in the hell does, 2 shots across the bow, mean" so I explained. He told me that he had never heard that expression before.......he was only 26 years old.......guess he was to young to know......but he knows now! ! !

hb
hb
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Just think at 26 he's already well past his "sell by" date.
scot

Post by scot »

Doubt you will find it, but a definition of that screw would be a slotted pan head, ACME thread. Not sure I have ever seen an ACME thread that small. BTW ACME threads are STRONG lol. Capable of withstanding very high loads without stripping.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

scot wrote:Doubt you will find it, but a definition of that screw would be a slotted pan head, ACME thread. Not sure I have ever seen an ACME thread that small. BTW ACME threads are STRONG lol. Capable of withstanding very high loads without stripping.
Exactly. McMaster Carr might have it. If not then Google is your friend.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Bruce wrote:Try this link,
http://www.southco.com/en-us/09-12-17

You're the man!... That looks exactly like what I have and the measurements work out too... I'll be contacting them ASAP (basically that means after the holiday <grin>)... Thanks a million... I've been looking and looking to no avail...