Fuel Lines

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. Mac Creech

Fuel Lines

Post by Capt. Mac Creech »

I'm in the process of replacing the deck supports on jaded Lady. The fuel lines art routed thru the center supports. If I disconnect at fuel pickup at rear of tank pass thru support and hook back up will I loose prime? Cummings 6bta. Thanks Mac
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Fuel Lines

Post by Bruce »

Almost assured you will get air in the line but if its before the racor filter the check ball in the filter should prevent the back flow of fuel out.
As you move the line you will spill fuel out of it.
Depending on your lines you can get a cap or plug to put over the line to prevent spillage which allows air in. Or if no fitting and just a hose barb plug it with something the ID of the hose.
Capt. Mac Creech

Post by Capt. Mac Creech »

Thanks Bruce. Have screw on fittings Would be at tank and Racor is under engine hatch. Just don't want to reprime if I can help it.
Mac
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Capt. Mac Creech wrote:Just don't want to reprime if I can help it.
Any time you MIGHT have introduced air into the system you should prime the system... Or else it's going to bite you at the most inopportune time... Just consider it part of the job...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

A tad bit of air will get trapped in the top of the racor housing after running a short time. Pop the top and make sure the racor is filled up. Depending on its location some won't fill all the way up.
You lose too much fuel you will have to bleed. Best plug the line if you can when you remove the end off the tank.