Cabreras Prop Pockets

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

Cabreras Prop Pockets

Post by jackryan »

I have a friend that's looking at a 31 with the Cabrera prop pockets. I seem to remember that there was a thread on these a while back. Is this a good thing, or are there some adverse handling characteristics with the prop pockets?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Usually only considered for an over powered boat. I've been told the pockets degrade the following seas capabilities the boat is known for. On the other hand, someone's spent a lot of bucks to do that.
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Walter,

Thanks for the reply. This boat has 350 3116 Cat's, so she has plenty of power. I tried to find the thread on this topic, but I seem to remember that there might have been some cavitation issues with prop pockets on the 31. Good chance I may be remembering wrong.

JR
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Jack- I am sure Patrick will know and chime in.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Jack:

3116 Cats??? I would run as fast as I could! My dockmate had them in his 31 Cabo -- nice, shiney new motors, saw 3 sets go in the boat in 18 months.

Tom
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Jack,

Most of the previous discussions about prop pockets can be found from the Google Site Search.

The whole purpose behind Cabrera designing them was to put in 3116 and 3126 cats which needed more wheel clearance for the reduced shaft angle that he used, (10 degree).

That package produced a little better top end speed, but at the slight reduction of following sea capabilities and increase of prop cavitation.

Basically it was a work-around design fix necessary to install engines that had no business in the belly of a B31 in the first place.

That's not to say that the B31 in question is a bad boat, just that all that expensive work didn't overly improve it. There's plenty of them out there and their working for the most part.

As Tom indicated, the most concern is over the 3116 cats...

Br,

Patrick
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Thanks for all of the input.

JR