Outboard Feedback

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CamB25

Outboard Feedback

Post by CamB25 »

A bit off topic, but many of you have experience in this area.

I'm converting my 25 to a twin outboard configuration and I'm currently in negotiations for a set of new old stock Yamaha 150 HPDIs. 2005 models, new in the box. The potential savings are significant over new models. Yamaha still makes a 200hp version of this engine with the same 2.6 liter displacement.

Any opinions or experience with this engine? Any particular issues with engines that have sat around int he box for 6+ years? Thanks!

Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
spencer

Post by spencer »

My 25 has twin 225 that are 1996 carburated, gass hogs, looking to repower with twin 175 suzukis, Gilbane boat works has refinished one (25) with twin 150 four stroke yammahas, nice pics on thier website do a search for them

Spencer
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Nice setup. I like the dark star "stealth motor" paint job. Are those 30" shafts? What bracket do you have? 1 mpg burn?

I've been trolling the used motor market (ugly) as well as new. For my near term plans, older engines are OK. I will not be putting alot of hours on the boat in the next couple of years. I can upgrade later after I win the lottery. :-D
1963 Bertram 25
spencer

Post by spencer »

bracket is made by salt shaker marine
they are 25 inch shafts, however i may go to 30 inch on the next repower with jackplates
the 25 get some cavitation when turning but not much
about `1 mile per gallon. one powerhead has been rebuilt got around 500 hrs on it the other has over 1000
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Nice little tower too.....I had a similar one built for my old B25 and really got a lot of use out of that boat....we probably caught 100 marlin out of her over 17 years. I wonder if 150 hp a side is enough? Mine originally had the 165 hp Mercruiser 250 CI sixes and I repowered with the AQAD 30 DP Volvo diesels in 1984, 110 hp. The 165s were plenty and the little diesels gave me a 21 kts cruise with about 3 naut. MPG. Two strokes don't have a bunch of low end torque....I had a buddy here in Baton Rouge who put a bracket on a B25 with the old OMC Sea Drives (?) and it was real fast on the top end but a total gas hog at trolling speed, something nutty like 25 GPH at 7 kts.

My son is a professional fishing guide and uses nothing but Yamaha 4 strokes and swears by them.

In my view the B25 is about the best value in a boat of that size today...mine took us out and back in some conditions where 54 Bertrams stayed at the dock. I sold her in the early 90s for my B31 and seldom miss her, but a B31 will do that to just about any other boat.

UV
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

CamB25,
Have you considered one big single with a small 4 stroke kicker? Alot less fuel consumption and alot less weight off the transom especially if you kept the kicker in the cabin untill needed. If one of the 150's stopped running, you wouldn't be able to get the boat up on plane with the other anyway.... you'd probably just putt on in so you wouldn't blow up the other engine. My buddy keeps his Bertram 26 with twin 200 OMC's in my boat lift, and believe me. it gets way less than 1 mpg and won't get up on plane with one engine....if he could afford it, he'd stick a single 300 hp Suzuki on the back of her, and be done with it. Alot of different ways of looking at it...if you're getting a great deal on the HPDI's, then, it's a tough call.'
Good luck,
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

The options are endless....I "should" be able to buy the twins for less than the price of a single 300, but the dealer is being stubborn. 150 is marginal for planning power. Your friend's 200s should plane that boat without a problem as singles. The orignal power in my 25 was twin 110 Volvo I/Os. Ran for 15 years and repowered with 130 Volvos. Ran for 15 years and then sat in a field for another 15 years waiting for me to come along. Might take me another 15 years to get this thing done! :)
1963 Bertram 25
spencer

Post by spencer »

My 25 will plane on one engine. however it takes a some time in calm water.
Thought about also going the single route, but just like having the back up of the other motor. In most situations if i lost a motor I would just take it back slow to port, and not push it.
On the bertram25 site their is a bunch of examples of single outboard 25s
Their is one in sweeden with a single 300 on a bracket

What type of good deal are they trying to give you and are you putting a bracket on or notching the transom?
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Eddie's 26 won't come close to getting up on plane with 1 engine offshore...the 26 has a tower and 2 tanks totaling 300 gals of fuel.
Add a few fat boys with all of their gear, then include a few hundred lbs of ice, beer and food, and there's no chance that his boat will even come close.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I forgot to account for the beer in my calcs!

I'm planning to use either a single or twin port-a-bracket, http://www.portaproducts.com/ with a 300 4 stroke like Soren (Denmark) has or twin 150s. My configuration will be a little lighter than the 26 or the FB 25. I'm converting the sport convertible into a center console for in/near shore fishing and beaching with the occasional long run off shore.

My offer for the HPDIs was $15k...they are stuck at $20k. I'll sweat 'em out and keep trolling for a deal.

BTW, I'm "Wherezernie?" over on the 25 board.
1963 Bertram 25
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Jonah was nice enough to pass the following data along to me with respect to repowering a B25 -- if I decide to do it -- I honestly admit, I'm more likely going to be going slow for a long time to keep the headaches and neckaches to a minimum -- so a keelboat might be a better option, for now.

Anyhow, here are his numbers for topend speed in a B25:

Twin 3.0 Alphas - 38mph-42mph
Single Small Block Bravo 3 - 40-44mph
Big Block 7.4liter or 8.1 liter Bravo 3 - 44-52mph
Single 150hp outboard 30mph
Single 225hp outboard 37-43mph
Twin 140hp outboard 42-44mph
Twin 150hp outboards 46mph
Twin 225hp outboards 50-55mph
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

B25 hardtop with Mercruiser 8.1with Bravo III.

55 on GPS and I was in boat with my 2 young boys, boat wasn't mine so I wasn't messing with trim or anything.

I think she has some more in her.

Ian.