New Bertram 31 Owner, Georgetown, SC

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bbtiller

New Bertram 31 Owner, Georgetown, SC

Post by bbtiller »

Hey guys, I'm gonna need some help...I'm a now the proud (I think) owner of this 31..

[Image]
[Image]

She's a 1976 FBC, BERGI552M76F-315 (the bulkhead was removed somewhere down the line); Cummins 6BTA5.9 [250-hp]. Engines in fair condition and are currently being serviced and painted. Deck and all supports are out and I've stripped all the wiring out.
Items on my list, not necessarily in order:
1. She has the Glas-tech deck but the support for that will need to be replaced.
2. Replacement of bulkhead and head compartment and head
3. Engine beds
4. Side Windows
5. Glass in front windows
6. Replace settee w/ bench/storage
7. Install new rudders
8. Install new rub-rail
9. Re-wire
10. Half-tower or Bimini (I have to be able to get her under 18' from waterline to tip top.)
11. ??? Many other items I've yet to discover

Thank you Capt. Patrick for the responses to queeries I've already posited and thank you to all who have posted so much information on this site thus far. I look for to any and all advice from the "faithful". Here I go...
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
SteveM

Re: New Bertram 31 Owner, Georgetown, SC

Post by SteveM »

Congrats! Love seeing pics of these boats. Keep us posted on your project. Welcome to the faithful!
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

congradulations, you have a great start, ask away someone will have the answer for you
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Welcome aboard BBtiller, proud Bertram owner, whats with "I Think" , No Doubting in the sandbox, thats a great engine package should last forever with proper care, we need all the stewards we can round up, lets get to fixn your ride...have fun and enjoy getting her just the way you want...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Welcome! You got a first name?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

Welcome aboard!

If your gonna dump money into a hole in the water, the 31 Bertram is the best of the lot.

You sure stared with a hefty work list...puts me to shame.
I bought mine, put a few bucks into running fresh water, dockside electric and electronic ignitions and started using it with one sizeable task every off season.

Best of luck with your 31!

Carl
bbtiller

Post by bbtiller »

Thanks for the warm welcomes; Peter-first name is Bradley, Brad or Doc; take your pick. Carl- yes it is an ambitious list but first priority is to get engine beds DONE, engines in and cockpit serviceable by APRIL FOOLS DAY 2013. My boys and I will be fishing on the 2nd (provided its 15 knots or less at Frying Pan) otherwise it'll just be my boys. The rest of the list will be work in progress. We'll see. Thanks again for the help given and to come.

Bradley
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
Bill Mckinnon

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

BBTiller

Welcome to the board. I am in Charleston so if you have any questions let me know

Capt. Bill McKinnon
Charlestonn SC
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bradley,
I like the idea of having a definite launch date. For me, with a list like yours a project could go on and on...

This sandbox is filled with a great bunch of people...have any questions or just want to mull over an idea...this is the place to do it. Lots of excellent knowledge and willingly shared...
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

My boat was originally a flybridge cruiser with a stand up head, realized that fishing with a bunch of guys, no one was using the head and it takes up a lot of room in that small cabin.

My front windows are also glassed in which also makes the cabin a litte darker. Without the standup (i have the head in the v-berth) and larger back windows and no door the cabin really opens up, feels much bigger.
bbtiller

Post by bbtiller »

Might not be able to maintain her in the Sportfish configuration...permition to buy was granted by my better half based on reconfiguring to a head that is NOT in the bedroom!
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Good luck with her and welcome.

Can you blame your wife for insisting on the closed in head. Think about her being with a few close friends and havign to use the current head. Privacy is not going to happen.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Goober

Post by Goober »

I'm in Buffton sc bought my 31 fb in June twin 4 cyl yans runs great needs cosmetics but really a sound boat don't worry so much about berth rite now think about engines & running gear so u can go& come my bride said the same thing ,,this is a private thing
JH_B28

Post by JH_B28 »

Congrats on the new ride! Looks in pretty good shape & you'll love those 6bta's!
I have a list just like yours... just wish i had the same launch date. lol

Welcome and good luck!
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's
ljmauricio

Post by ljmauricio »

bbtiller wrote:Might not be able to maintain her in the Sportfish configuration...permition to buy was granted by my better half based on reconfiguring to a head that is NOT in the bedroom!
Solved that problem with a drape mounted on a tension rod at the entrance to the fwd cabin. Gives adequate privacy.

STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

I guess a couple items on your list are not replacements. Looks like it has an original lower helm, so it never had a cabin bulkhead or an enclosed head. It has always been a sprotfish, not a flybridge Cruiser. The engines are perfect for that boat, wish I had them. Too bad you did not post a year ago, could have given you all the fiberglass pieces for the head.
Scott Traenkle
bbtiller

Post by bbtiller »

Definitely was original FBC per hull #, never had a lower helm. "Tracks" from head wall and stbd cabinetry are still evident. Progress is being made... Engines have been gone over and repainted, and are ready to get in place(many thanks to Anthony at Marine Propulsion on Wadmalaw). Reed has the guys at Hazard Marine underway with fabrication and placement of rudder supports, engine beds, fore and aft bulkheads, cockpit and interior deck supports/deck. Will post photos soon.
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller