Knife sharpening

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

Knife sharpening

Post by Rickysa »

New hobby to me, although I'm sure there are a lot of old hats at this, but here is my first go at it:

blade edge at start

220 grit

320 grit

400 grit

600 grit

800 grit

ceramic (some burr still remains)

first polishing tape

final polish
Rickysa

Re: Knife sharpening

Post by Rickysa »

Using the BESS "C" to assess edge sharpness, it went from 545 to 125 on this scale.

Fun stuff!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Rick: What system are you using? I just got a Worksharp Precision Adjust Elite. I have used it twice so far and am just starting to get the hang of it. I wanted a Wicked Edge, but could not justify $600 up for a knife sharpener! I have one of the Norton triple stone setups which is nice, but I cannot get an edge but so good freehand. I just bought a magnifier so I can get a close look at the edge. Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Hi Rawleigh, I'm using the Work Sharp Professional Precision Adjust...tried freehand, then the Edge Pro, but my raging OCD made me find a way to monitor the edge angle of each grit...and then using 3m adhesive paper as lapping films for the polishing. Less than $300, but who looks at their checkbook for a hobby :) ?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

So you went with the aluminum professional version? How do you like it? I got the plastic one and it is a bit wobbly, even with a support. What are you using to take the pictures of you edge?
Tell me about the lapping paper!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have two days left on my return window with Amazon. Does the clamp on the professional hold tightly with no wobble? Is it pretty easy to work through the grits and get a keen edge? I struggle a bit with the lower model one and don't get the really sharp edge I was hoping for. What other accessories have you added?

Where did you get yours? How much did you pay if you don't mind my asking? Most places seem to be out of stock.

I found this website which has a lot of good stuff on it.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Work ... 3C355.aspx
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Return it!
How do you like it?
Rock solid....love it. The company listened to it's users and did many upgrades from the previous version. Lots of vids online comparing the two. Where to buy (?), I went with the company's site and ordered direct from them....$249-$269 (I see the price has gone up to $299)
Does the clamp on the professional hold tightly with no wobble? Is it pretty easy to work through the grits and get a keen edge?
Yes and yes.
What other accessories have you added?
None, really...all I did was buy some blank plates from a fellow on etsy and 3M abrasive films for the polish:

https://youtu.be/IUkve7QYNo4

btw, don't order one, I bought two buy mistake and would be more than happy to send you my overstock :)
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

What are you using to take the pictures of you edge?
My fingertips are shot, so I can't "feel the burr"...Magnifying glasses were no good (60 yrs old here :? ). Being new to this, I wanted to see the edge and went with this:

https://www.amazon.com/TOMLOV-DM201-Max ... ss_tl&th=1
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Wow, you did go all in! Well on your advice I have got my elite in a box with the return authorization and have ordered the Pro from Worksharp. They were the only place I could find it in stock! $299 less 10%. I did not want to wait until the end of August, so I paid a little extra. It was $249 at out of stock retailers. I would love the extra lapping piece if that is what you were speaking of.
I don't think I'll be getting the magnifier, although it would sure be handy as I'm also your age. I'll stick with the 8x flip down magnifier I already have.
I will let you know when it arrives and see if there any tips I need. Thanks for the inspiration to spend more money! LOL
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

I would love the extra lapping piece if that is what you were speaking of.

Oops.....I meant the sharpener!!! :-D

I'll look back over my notes and send you some of the lapping plates.

I think you'll be happy with the WS Pro!
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

here is the info on the lapping plates:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1479861163 ... 3488634124
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Oh! I can probably cancel my order if you have an extra pro sharpener! I will buy it from you instead if I can.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

you bet!

send me an address and it's yours!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have sent them an email about it. Of course there is no phone number to call! :| I will let you know if I am successful at cancelling it. Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Rick: The order is cancelled! Very nice people to deal with.

I have sent you a PM with my contact info.

Let me know how much I owe you. I look forward to comparing notes on sharpening! Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Well, UPS says it has been delivered! I am excited1 I won't be able to play with it tonight as we have an event to go to and I have some workers coming to the house tomorrow, but maybe Saturday night I can get a good look at it! Thanks Rick. I will take care of Bruce. Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Great!! Let me now how it goes!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I found time this morning to put a nice edge on my cheap Kershaw EDC. It will now slice through pages out of this months boat us magazine! Best use for that magazine I found! I look forward to moving on to bigger and better knives! I will let you know how things progress.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

And I might add I sharpen the EDC at a 27° bevel so to get it to cut like that's pretty good.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Nice Job!!

I dropped down to 17 degrees for a few kitchen knives (both high carbon and stainless ) and was really impressed with the results...keep me posted!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I was trying my Henckel steak knives last night at 16.5%. I tried 15 but scraped the vice because the knives are so narrow. On a Chef's knife it should be fine. I didn't want to have to go to the small knife table with them as I have a block of 8 to do. Unfortunately my wife has taken to using them like kitchen knives, but I find domestic harmony suffers if I try to correct her on that! I just have to grit my teeth and bear it!! LOL
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

My daughter does the same with my Japanese knives...ouch!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Guys don't think you are the only ones. My wife yells at me if the knives are too sharp and then she will take a steak and with a carving knife cut it in half on a plate and I can hear the knives dulling on the plate.

Has to be a wife thing.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

When I first married my wife she had a glass cutting board and very dull knives! Nothing worse than the sound of a sharp edge grating against glass or ceramic
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31