Get in Shape!

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ktm_2000

Get in Shape!

Post by ktm_2000 »

Hi All,

Around Labor day I did something dumb to myself and went in to have a Dr check it out and when I was there my blood pressure was pretty high. Being stuck in the house working for well over a year plus the stress from some major projects in work plus all the garbage going on in this world is definitely not healthy. The Dr. wanted to put me on meds and I refused stating that I would change my diet and exercise more.

I did that.....
-stopped drinking soda, replaced by drinking water with a slice of lemon.
-work days I walk 60 min over lunch - do just under 4 miles, weekends are somewhat tough with the kids but try to walk at least 30 min a day.
-we bought an exercise bike - do 20-40 min chunks of time at least 4 days a week

overall I am getting at least 30 min a day of some type of exercise, week days it is 60-90min.

results:
I went to the Dr for a followup Friday, I've dropped 12 # and my blood pressure is back in the normal range. I feel quite a bit better and I am definitely in much better shape.

I would definitely recommend folks finding a way to get outside and exercise. The combo of getting some fresh air and being outside and some slight changes in my diet are in my opinion a much better solution than taking a pill. 2 months to change from being on a bad path to a better one isn't too bad either.

I would not recommend being a stubborn A$$ like myself and not listen to a Doctor, adding some low impact exercise can definitely help.
CamB25

Re: Get in Shape!

Post by CamB25 »

That's great! Congratulations!

I generally avoid Drs at all costs...might have been to one in the late 90's for a physical, but I can't remember that far back. Recently that has changed. I ruptured my right quad tendon in August during an altercation when I unintentionally interrupted a felony B&E. Long story, but I'm on the Dr. treadmill now...surgery, crutches, brace, PT, etc. I was concerned about gaining weight while be laid up (I'm normally VERY active), so I quit drinking, including the fat juice (beer). That worked, but I'm still getting flabby from lack of any serious aerobic exercise. I'm out of the brace now and hobbling around, so that is some progress at least. I mowed the lawn the other day without falling down...good sign!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Dang Cam! I am glad that is all you got out of that confrontation! Get well soon! Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Cam,

I hope that you get back into good condition soon. Lack of mobility is no fun. I've had a bunch of problems with my knees and multiple surgeries per knee. Do your rehab work......
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Cam

That is tough. Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you are getting there.

I also avoided Docs as long as possible. Renewed a Life Policy and when they took my Blood Pressure it was a little high. So I went to see a Doctor who almost did me in. Put me on Blood pressure meds, and after 6 weeks I was normal. After another 6 weeks I was getting dizzy, almost passed out and was short of breath.

My pressure was dropping to a point it was bouncing between 105/55 to 115/55. I went back to him and complained he said get used to it and the doctor before me put you on these meds. I said no you did.

Last time I saw him. Changed Docs new guy reduced the meds, has me running between 125/70 and 130/70. I am happy and he is happy.

I never smoked, only really have a drink on rare occasions. Usually holidays or if out. So weight is not my issue. I do find when I am more active my pressure stays to the lower side.

And they wonder why we hate going to doctors.

But we all should get checked from time to time.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

ktm_2000 wrote: Nov 8th, '21, 16:23 Cam,

I hope that you get back into good condition soon. Lack of mobility is no fun. I've had a bunch of problems with my knees and multiple surgeries per knee. Do your rehab work......
You are spot on about rehab/PT. My first day there I told them I was going to be their best client. It's going well and I intend to graduate Wednesday. I still wear the brace when I'm doing crazy stuff - climbing ladders, working on scaffolding, hauling sheets of plywood upstairs. I'm pushing it a bit.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Earlier this spring one of my co-workers got into going to a bunch of doctors and they had him on all types of pills, his solution was to dedicate time to daily exercise and he has been able to reduce and or drop off all of them. It took him 3-4 months to get himself cleared up and he is doing a lot better, he says that if he keeps on track he will be off all of them soon.

My reasoning to post this was a simple one, add a bit of exercise daily and you can reduce being on the gravy train for big pharma. I don't think that the amount or intensity of the exercise has to be all that extreme, it just has to be consistent and something that works for you.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

ktm_2000 wrote: Nov 9th, '21, 09:00 Earlier this spring one of my co-workers got into going to a bunch of doctors and they had him on all types of pills, his solution was to dedicate time to daily exercise and he has been able to reduce and or drop off all of them. It took him 3-4 months to get himself cleared up and he is doing a lot better, he says that if he keeps on track he will be off all of them soon.

My reasoning to post this was a simple one, add a bit of exercise daily and you can reduce being on the gravy train for big pharma. I don't think that the amount or intensity of the exercise has to be all that extreme, it just has to be consistent and something that works for you.
You are absolutely 100% correct. We all can do more to make sure we stay healthy.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

It must be a 31 Bertram thing for this year. I dropped 50lbs and just recently joined a gym... which still sounds weird. But trying to get exercise at home was getting boring and I felt a need to continue, so I'll give it a shot.
Luckily it wasn't for anything but being tired of carrying around extra weight. It had my knees starting to feel wonky and two flights of stairs were a workout for me, sweating like a beast after 2 trips.

Hopefully, this change in eating habits lowers my cholesterol too...Doctor had mentioned it was getting close to pill time. I'd rather not use pills to counter bad habits. Time will tell on that.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Good job Carl! It will definitely make it easier getting around the Bertram too!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31