Western Trip October 2020

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Western Trip October 2020

Post by mike ohlstein »

Got in my van and started driving. Stayed out for 3 weeks. Here are a few pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/umfo1qbphug4 ... hijJa?dl=0
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
DanielM

Re: Western Trip October 2020

Post by DanielM »

Beautiful country. I took my kids through some of that area when they were in Elementary School 20-25 years ago, Every American should see Mount Rushmore. Awe inspiring.

Sharp pictures of Devil’s Tower. It is impressive in person.

I had heard through the grapevine you were roaming around out west in your van. If you ever make the southern loop stop in and say hi.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I was out there in October. Great time of year. No buses or motorhomes. Mostly just people taking pictures. Lots of wildlife photographers looking for wolves. It was fabulous.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Mike,

I like the pics, I've been doing a lot of photography over the last 3-4 years and been "progressing" from digital back to film. A trip like the one you took is on my bucket list. I'm hoping to do a 3-4 week trip with a small camper in tow camping as much as we can and only staying in a hotel when we get too grubby. I was hoping to go to the badlands, wind cove, out to yellow stone then south through grand tetons and rocky mountain national park.

Photo wise, one thing I notice from your pics is that your sensor has some dust on it. I have a Sony mirrorless and have loads of problems with dust on the sensor and regularly have to clean the sensor as well as deal with the spots in post processing. I find that I regularly have to set the lens to the highest F stop and take a pic of my ceiling to find the dust spots so I can clean them. They normally are hidden in most pics that are busy but anything with a lot of sky or same tones they stick out like a sore thumb.

here's one of my recent pics with some dust - 2 spots in the sky above the pine tree on the left, another above the antenna, more dust in the sky over the factory on the right. https://photos.app.goo.gl/bevxYn7GkCdbt7LN9
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

You're right. I was constantly changing lenses and I had nothing to clean the sensors with. (I have a cleaning kit now) I looked for one in a WalMart somewhere, but I never found myself in a town with a real camera shop. Live and learn.....

I spent most of the three weeks in my van. I stayed in hotels when I needed a shower. Wind Cave was closed when I was there, but I was staying in the van at a scenic overlook near there one night when I was awakened at 4AM by a huge buffalo who decided that my rear bumper would be a perfect scratching post.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vv6p1mkkpo9a ... 2.PNG?dl=0
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Beautiful pictures Mike!! Glad you didn't get trampled by the buffaloes!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks for sharing those Mike,
Great photos! Now if I can stop seeing the world in KTM, looks like some great enduro riding areas. Ha Ha.