$1400 to replace my Boat Fridge?

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Charbe

$1400 to replace my Boat Fridge?

Post by Charbe »

My fridge crapped out last year and only two models that I know of fit my boat.
Isotherm Cruise 130 $1352.00 + shipping
Same model in SS $1575.00 + shipping
Dometic CR 1110 $1100.00 + shipping
Crap! That's a lot of money for a refrigerator isn't it??

I tried the home depot/lowes/cheapo store route. I only need A/C but none of the above fit the boat.

I also tried a cooler, that's never going to happen again.

Update: What can you say this https://refrigeratorfaq.com/retro-mini-fridge/ fridges.
Last edited by Charbe on May 30th, '20, 06:54, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: $1400 to replace my Boat Fridge?

Post by mike ohlstein »

There are some models that won't fit through the door, but will fit through the front window if you remove it. You may also have to remove the door from the fridge.

Guess how I know that........

Do you still have windows on your boat?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

That's half the price of a full drive. Kind of crazy but it is for a boats so they will get it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I just checked my pricing and those numbers are pretty close.

If you have your old unit, if you can't buy replacement parts you can purchase a fridge conversion kits. Still not cheap or inexpensive.

What I did in my boat was I left the stock Ice-box door in place, removed all the inner ice-box parts, bought a smaller size 110VAC, cheap Sears fridge. Mounted that right inside the stock door which keeps the fridge door closed.

Crazy what they can get for an AC/DC fridge. When I got to that point there was no way I could justify the cost to myself when I had so many better ways to spend my money.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Are there AC only ones that will fit? I would think that and a dedicated inverter might be cheaper?
Good luck,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Carl

Post by Carl »

Charbe wrote: Update: What can you say this https://refrigeratorfaq.com/retro-mini-fridge/ fridges.

If it fits in the space I think it fits your budget.

Other than going offshore for a long day, before I had my inverter, I have never cared about the fridge being only AC. If I stocked it up well with a good chill before leaving the dock the stuff inside stayed nice and cold. Even on the long day, the stuff that was left in the fridge was still "cool".

Stephan wrote:Are there AC only ones that will fit? I would think that and a dedicated inverter might be cheaper?
Good luck,
Stephan

It is and you get to use the inverter for microwave, coffee pot, blender and as you said fridge. I do have to say that I'm not a fan of running an inverter long term unless you oversize the battery backup...fridge can be a low slow drain on a hot day with people in and out. Definitely could be done...but at that point just by an AC/DC fridge. That said, I avoid going larger battery backup cost by running the motor when juicing up the fridge or running microwave for more than a couple minutes. I'm usually trolling anyway...or I'll crank up motors to run to a new spot, click on the inverter and let it work while I cruise over, then let motor idle a few minutes. Do that a couple times during the day, its like being at the dock.
Nyrgio

Post by Nyrgio »

Hmmm, this fridges are really expensive. Did you find any cheaper option?