Bench Grinder recommendations?

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Preston Burrows

Bench Grinder recommendations?

Post by Preston Burrows »

Looking to buy a simple electric bench grinder mostly for sharpening work, yard tools such as machetes,hedge shears, lawnmower blades and some occasional knife sharpening, cheap fishing and kitchen knives.

Any first hand recommendations would be appreciated, I've looked on Amazon and see options from the 'disposable' to the 'mortgageable'...……...I really just need something reasonably priced that's reliable and versatile.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Carl

Re: Bench Grinder recommendations?

Post by Carl »

Problem with bench grinders is they spin too fast and heat up thin sharp stuff so the edge looses it hardness.
Softer materials clog up most wheels, then they rub instead of cut creating more heat...which overheats the the work and it looses its hardness.

You could use a course wheel and dose in water often...but the finish is horrible and its tough to dip big items.

Belt sanders work better to rough and get close to finish.
Hand stone and hone to finish.

For my lawnmower, trimmers and big items I'm too lazy to remove the blade on...
I use a dremel with sanding drum or 4" grinder with sanding disk, couple quick passes with a stone and done.
Preston Burrows

Carl,

All agreed, I either use an angle grinder or metal files or both for the yard gear sharpening and a cheap electric knife sharpener and/or a diamond grit type sharpening stone for the kitchen knives.

Like I said I'm looking for a one trick bench grinding pony that has the capability to do these items instead, maybe something that has variable speed settings and interchangeable grinding wheels.

All that aside reading of your issues un New York I hope things are going ok for you, hopefully this is the first and last global pandemic we see in our lifetimes.

So far here in the Bahamas things are being contained...…. but still gradually expanding day by day.

Cheers.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Preston

Get a worksharp. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200431964

They have several different models this is the cheapest. I believe Northern Tool carries all of their models.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Preston Burrows

Tony,

Cheers, that looks like an interesting option to consider...…...a belt sander on steroids if you will!
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

+1 on the worksharp. You may have to get the extra guard that has different angles on it depending in the kit you get.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31